Movie Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Aye, Frankenheimer's scenes in that movie were great. Underrated film. Also, my first DVD purchase.

Remember when Lady Di was killed in that Parisian tunnel? Robert DeNiro was questioned about paparazzi because he was in Paris filming Ronin at that time.

There's also a great scene when he pulls out a bullet from his side/leg and then says "OK, I'm going to pass out now," and does just that.

Bioshock

Movie Thread

Postby Bioshock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Got my copy of Interstellar from Amazon today! I'm a happy dude

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Big Lebowski on Netflix

My weekend plans are set

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 am

Okay, this talk about Mad Max has made me realize a few things. First, I have absolutely no recollection of what the original movie was about. Second, I didn't know that George Miller directed the originals. Third, after realizing point 2, I took to the internet and learned that George Miller also directed or wrote 'The Witches of Eastwick', 'Babe' and 'Happy Feet'.
Which are all great and about as far as you can get from Mad Max. You definitely should see Mad Max. It definitely has that low budget movie feel to it, but it is beautifully shot and basically started a new genre in film. It's a simple movie and the popularity of Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior) actually made the original popular. You don't really find out what all is happening in the original until you've seen the 2nd one. The main bad guy in Mad Max (Toecutter) is the bad guy in the new Fury Road (Immortan Joe)

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 am

Got my copy of Interstellar from Amazon today! I'm a happy dude

Watched this last night. I liked it a lot. At 2 hrs and 50 minutes, I wanted more of the worlds Nolan created. I think I'll benefit from another viewing or two.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am

It still blows my mind a bit that Billy Blanks is the football player at the beginning of Last Boy Scout.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:15 am

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:20 am

It would be interesting if it wasn't...but I'm just happy they are making it! :thumb:

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Okay, this talk about Mad Max has made me realize a few things. First, I have absolutely no recollection of what the original movie was about. Second, I didn't know that George Miller directed the originals. Third, after realizing point 2, I took to the internet and learned that George Miller also directed or wrote 'The Witches of Eastwick', 'Babe' and 'Happy Feet'.
Which are all great and about as far as you can get from Mad Max. You definitely should see Mad Max. It definitely has that low budget movie feel to it, but it is beautifully shot and basically started a new genre in film. It's a simple movie and the popularity of Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior) actually made the original popular. You don't really find out what all is happening in the original until you've seen the 2nd one. The main bad guy in Mad Max (Toecutter) is the bad guy in the new Fury Road (Immortan Joe)
Someone uploaded the original to YouTube, and I watched about half of it yesterday. It almost doesn't bear any resemblance to Road Warrior at all! It's not just production values, the tones of the films are very different.

If it's on Netflix I'll give it a look.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:27 pm

The orignal movie was Mel (as a cop) and his wife and kid being out in the country and being terrorized by these bikers without a whole lot of the post-apocaplyptic feel that Road Warrior has.

You are correct, very different feel to me.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:12 pm

the original takes place right around when the world starts going to hell.

timeline:
c.2000 - MAD MAX ("A few years from now..."): Deterioration of Australian society and bureaucratic restrictions leads to fragmentation of the police force, and increasing anarchy on the superhighways, which are still subject to differing state laws. Environmental damage and the effects of the Armalite Gangs have destroyed the farmlands and the Central Bureaucracy declares the inland regions "Forbidden Zones". Only the road trains are still permitted to travel through what becomes known as the "wasteland". The remaining government attempts to maintain law and order, as well as food and water supplies, to the coastal cities. As a result, inland settlements and smaller coastal towns begin to die. The last of the V-8 Interceptors are constructed.

c.2000-2003 - ("Their world crumbled..."): The world situation worsens; the satellites beam the images of social decline into homes worldwide. Money becomes less important than the products of industrial society - particularly food and fuel. U.S. soldiers invade the Persian Gulf. During the prolonged battle, the oil-fields of the Middle East are set alight, destroying fuel production. The resulting conflict depletes the already scarce resources of the industrial nations, shattering their economies. In the U.S., fuel prices reach $7 per gallon. Finally, the supply of fuel is restricted to the essential services, which are fast breaking down. The stock market collapses, creating a world-wide economic depression. Outbreaks of fighting in the cities become steadily less sporadic. Factories grind to a standstill. Pappagallo, Chief Executive of Seven Sisters Petroleum in Australia, escapes the downfall of the cities with maps showing the location of a fuel pump in the wasteland. He constructs a rudimentary fuel refining plant and creates a farm near the fuel pump, intending to survive the fall of civilization. A small armed community is established and the compound is fortified.

c.2003 - THE ROAD WARRIOR/MAD MAX II ("You're a scavenger Max...a maggot... living off the corpse of the old world."): Australia has become a war-zone, as the road trains and tankers have ceased transporting supplies and fuel. Isolated pockets of civilization throughout the country - some of which have attempted to survive by turning themselves into armoured enclaves - are beset by roving bands of marauders and barbarians, who are dependent on the dwindling fuel supply.

c.2003 - WORLD WAR III - THE OIL WAR APOCALYPSE ("People stopped in the streets and listened: for the first time they heard the sound of silence."): As the service utilities of the industrial nations - the power generation, transport and manufacturing sectors - fail, national and international communication breaks down. Long-standing East/West tensions in the face of worldwide fuel shortages degenerate into pre-emptive attacks on the remaining fuel-rich countries. After endless political deliberations on both sides, the final acts of the war are strategic nuclear strikes between the East/West blocs intended to prevent either side from securing new fuel reserves. In Australia, centralised government crumbles. In most of the cities, panic and looting precede death and wholesale destruction. The remaining population scatters, leaving the cities to crumble and fall apart. Limited nuclear explosions near Sydney cause turbulence that damages a fleeing 747 under the command of Flight Captain Walker. It crashes in the desert some 500 kilometres from the city. The nuclear exchange causes widespread changes in the world's environment, the most notable of which is large-scale evaporation of the oceans, and a short nuclear winter. Sydney Harbour dries up and the city is abandoned. Australia's coastal regions become more arid - problems with food supplies force many to cannibalism. The collapse of civilization goes largely unnoticed in the wasteland; although the depletion of the fuel supplies and manufacturing technology brings about the end of the roving marauders. In the following few years, tribal settlements are established on the Sunshine Coast and elsewhere by people fleeing the savagery of the interior desert. Technology is at a pre-Industrial Revolution level in these largely agricultural communities.

c.2003-2018 - ("At last, the vermin had inherited the earth."): The survivors of the war begin to form small, tribal groups, fighting over the few remaining sources of food and energy. Isolated settlements develop in the desert amidst the barbarians, under the rule of people who possess technical knowledge or power. Some of the old gang leaders realise the futility of destroying the pockets of civilization, because eventually nothing is regenerated. Some of the survivors live in primitive harmony, while others form towns where savage violence is a way of life. Max survives a number of adventures; as his resources diminish he builds up his capital - a wagon train. He collects things, finds things, and is resourceful enough to improvise.

8.11.2005 - Flight Captain Walker leads a rescue party of nineteen people from the 747 crash site out into the desert, in search of aid. The children remaining behind have only vague memories of civilization, which become the basis of a religion based around the 747 and its artifacts, and eventual rescue by Walker. When the first party fails to return, the children send out three more groups over the following decade to find them, comprised of teenagers who have come of age.

c.2013 - The leader of the Great Northern Tribe dies felling timber.

c.2018 - MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME ("You know who I was? Nobody. But on the day after, I was still alive."): Out of the barbarism and destruction following the war, new order is created through trade, slavery and the salvage and re-use of industrial artifacts. Settlements such as Bartertown, constructed on the site of an old open-cut mine five hundred kilometres from Sydney, enforce peace through a series of harsh laws. Although the age of the gasoline-dependent marauders has ended, ownership is still based on strength, and both banditry and slavery are widespread

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/archives/we ... chron.html

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:12 pm

mallrats 2 is gathering up the cast

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Please tell me I imagined hearing that Deadpool is going to be PG-13.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Please tell me I imagined hearing that Deadpool is going to be PG-13.
did you watch the entire video?

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:22 pm

"Yay, Joey Lauren Adams." -No One.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:35 pm

I don't even care if I'm the only one I am totally looking forward to Mallrats 2. I'm also looking forward to Clerks 3.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Awesome (Everything is.)

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:40 pm

And another:

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:54 pm

"Yay, Joey Lauren Adams." -No One.
also overheard...

"I'm surprised the whole cast was available"

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Weren't they supposed to make 3 more Matrix movies?

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Newest trailer for the Poltergeist remake.

Without Zelda Rubinstein and the maggot-y chicken, I'm not convinced.

P.S. I hate clowns.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:13 pm

I kind of refuse to watch remakes or reboots. I love Mallrats, Clerks and Poltergeist but do not care about the new ones at all.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:16 pm

I kind of refuse to watch remakes or reboots. I love Mallrats, Clerks and Poltergeist but do not care about the new ones at all.
Mallrats and clerks aren't reboots or remakes they are sequels.

malkintent

Movie Thread

Postby malkintent » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:17 pm

i like joey lauren adams :/

FreeCandy44

Movie Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:59 pm

I don't even care if I'm the only one I am totally looking forward to Mallrats 2. I'm also looking forward to Clerks 3.
Count me in....