Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:55 pm

the master wasn't great, and i started watching inherent vice but after 5 minutes, i asked myself, "why?" and turned it off

was a big PTA guy for a long time. i have doubts that he still has it. maya rudolph ruins everything, i guess
I was fascinated by The Master. I thought Joaquin Phoenix was incredible and it was an absolutely beautifully shot movie. Inherent Vice was great goofy fun that actually made the pages of the novel come to life and that in itself is quite the achievement. Going back and looking at everything PTA did, I still think Hard Eight is my favorite.
Watched this on a flight today mostly because I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I thought the acting was unreal. Phoenix and Hoffman were great...outstanding. What was weird is that I felt like they were acting great in two different movies on the same screen. Outside of the "processing" part and the odd ending song that Hoffman sings Phoenix to tears, I actually don't feel that strong of a connection between the two. Independently, probably Oscar worthy performances...

The characters are good strong and well represented. But I don't think the premise of the movie is there for me...there's no gauge as to what this cult/religion is or what it represents...and that's fine if it's left intentionally vague and I'm too uncultured to understand or if it's such a dead ringer for Scientology that it is meant to represent it in terms of volume, fine, I'll accept that...but there's such a strong commitment to a couple of very un-well characters that the movie loses me plot wise...not because it's hard to follow, but because it never approaches anything...not even a checkpoint is hit, much less a finish line...
Count me in as big fan of The Master and Inherent Vice. The acting and cinematography in Master is incredible

crusherstasiak

Movie Thread

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm

That was my son at seven. Like he was 35

That and The Lighthouse was worse than Mud. I didn't think anything could be worse than Mud. Choosing to have to listen to Jump Around for two hors or watch the Lighthouse again would be a very tough choice

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:32 pm

That was my son at seven. Like he was 35

That and The Lighthouse was worse than Mud. I didn't think anything could be worse than Mud. Choosing to have to listen to Jump Around for two hors or watch the Lighthouse again would be a very tough choice
Don’t be spilling any of your beans to me

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Damn ye! Let Neptune strike ye dead Winslow! HAAARK!

Hark Triton, hark! Bellow, bid our father the Sea King rise from the depths full foul in his fury! Black waves teeming with salt foam to smother this young mouth with pungent slime, to choke ye, engorging your organs til' ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more - only when he, crowned in cockle shells with slitherin' tentacle tail and steaming beard take up his fell be-finned arm, his coral-tine trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye - a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for the harpies and the souls of dead sailors to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself - forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the sea, for any stuff for part of Winslow, even any scantling of your soul is Winslow no more, but is now itself the sea!
How can one not love this? Willem Dafoe should have received all the awards this season. He was amazing.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:08 pm

The best

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Man it was so close to being a masterpiece though. Spectacular interplay between them but it just didn't quite payoff to me. Which is why many people hate it it seems. It was a long outstanding short film

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 am

The best

That's almost enough to make me want to take it out of my Netflix queue. That doesn't lend to a good film, that makes me think of a sitcom where everyone goes to someone's bad play to show support.

This thread is making me think family, when a certain relative says that a movie was good, so you know to avoid it.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:53 am

Source of the post That's almost enough to make me want to take it out of my Netflix queue. That doesn't lend to a good film, that makes me think of a sitcom where everyone goes to someone's bad play to show support.

This thread is making me think family, when a certain relative says that a movie was good, so you know to avoid it.
oh I get that, that's pretty much how it works with my recommendations to others with movies I like. Similarly, I guess I could say the same with movies you think look bad, I usually find delightful :lol:

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:58 am

Also Her was good

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 am

Also Her was good

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 am

Yeah, not even close (if that's the phone sex movie, where she's sexting everyone on earth at once or whatever)...

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah, not even close (if that's the phone sex movie, where she's sexting everyone on earth at once or whatever)...
Hmm... That's not really how I remember it.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 am

My 5th grader was sent home a permission slip asking whether or not he should watch The Boy with the Striped Pajamas. My son is pretty mature, probably too mature for an 11 year old, so I watched it anyway to see if it was appropriate.

It's not overly brutal or harsh, although I am concerned about the obvious anti-semitic phrases and epithets. My kid can handle that, but there are others who might learn a few new slurs.

Also, the main character's father is the commandant of a concentration camp. One line of dialogue between the mother and son, she defends the father as doing his part to make our country great again. I had a pretty good laugh at that. :lol: I wonder if anyone else in the class will pick up on that (the film was released in 2008).

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am

heh

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 pm

For some reason, Parasite is only available in 4k streaming through apple and VUDU and it's out to rent today. I know next to nothing about the movie and am excited to go in for the blind viewing tonight.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:16 pm

For some reason, Parasite is only available in 4k streaming through apple and VUDU and it's out to rent today. I know next to nothing about the movie and am excited to go in for the blind viewing tonight.
It has subtitles. Now you know one thing.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:57 am

:thumb:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 am

my review of Parasite :lol: :shock:
I liked the movie, but I think I would have liked it even more if they found a way to keep the comedy and con going a different way instead of the super violent ending

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:07 am

MoviePass parent Helios and Matheson files for Chapter 7 and stock falls to zero

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:41 am

Watched Fighting with my Family, about a family of wrestlers in the UK whose daughter becomes Paige, one of the WWE’s Divas. I don’t follow wrestling, but found it entertaining...and Goth Florence Pugh is always enjoyable to watch. :lol:

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:06 pm

After seeing joker, I don’t understand any reaction to the movie, at all.

Aside from joaquin doing the character job so well, I don’t get why it is up for best picture, but that’s probably just a matter of taste. I really don’t understand the white male rage thing. I’m guessing maybe one person responded stupidly like that and it somehow took off. There’s no way one can independently respond to the movie like that. People needed guidance, and luckily there are just so many people volunteering stupid responses for everything.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:16 pm

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot was worth the $5.99 rental. Mewes wasn't completely useless for the first time ever, was damn near redemptive.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:23 am

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot was worth the $5.99 rental. Mewes wasn't completely useless for the first time ever, was damn near redemptive.
:thumb:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 pm

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Awesome!

Oh wait... 2021. Okay then.