Movie Thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:09 pm

I hear the Chopping Mall Criterion Collection edition is nice.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I hear the Chopping Mall Criterion Collection edition is nice.
ha, that's actually playing at Row House Cinema this weekend.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Paul Dano is the Riddler

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

That’s good casting.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:02 pm

agreed. I'm glad Jonah Hill is out

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Paul Dano is the Riddler

That movie is going to be an uni-emo-boring stink pile

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Paul Dano is the Riddler

That movie is going to be an uni-emo-boring stink pile
They've casted 3 people and all are great actors. The director is super talented. Maybe some rumors about Arkham, but that's it. Kinda hard to call that a boring stink pile when that's all we know.

edit: Reeves actually said he's making a Detective Batman movie so there is that too and that's pretty damn exciting. about time

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Edge of Tomorrow sequel is on hold until Cruise films the next 2 Mi movies.

I don’t know if I want a sequel but if they have what made the first one so good I’m okay with it. What I do t want to happen is a Pacific Rim scenario where a super cool and we’ll executed concept was turned into vomit.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Edge of Tomorrow sequel is on hold until Cruise films the next 2 Mi movies.

I don’t know if I want a sequel but if they have what made the first one so good I’m okay with it. What I do t want to happen is a Pacific Rim scenario where a super cool and we’ll executed concept was turned into vomit.
Pacific rim is my kids favorite movie so I watch it a lot and it's awesome. I still don't understand how he allowed PR2 to happen like that.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Paul Dano has a really punchable face, I don't know what it is about him, but I just don't enjoy watching him on screen.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 pm

picked up Videodrome from the Criterion flash sale on wednesday. To my surprise it was waiting at the house at lunch already. I don't know that I've seen it all the way through, but am looking forward to it.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:58 am

I feel like if Disney’s Brave was made 5 years later it would have been a huge hit.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I feel like if Disney’s Brave was made 5 years later it would have been a huge hit.
Yeah, it was a few years before its time.

Kane

Movie Thread

Postby Kane » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:04 am

Saturday night we watched What We Do In the Shadows. **** hilarious.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 am

:thumb: @eddysnake convinced me to give it a shot, and now I'm hooked. Can't freakin wait for season 2 of the TV show, which is hilarious.

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:30 pm

My man. :fist:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:06 am

Taika Waititi to Produce Sci-Fi Thriller 'Night Raiders' - Indigenous dystopian film about a military occupation that controls disenfranchised cities in post-war North America.
Jojo Rabbit director Taika Waititi is executive producing Night Raiders, Danis Goulet's female-driven dystopian drama now shooting in and around Toronto.

The Thor 4 director, a native New Zealander, is backing the Canada-New Zealand co-production that stars Amanda Plummer, Elle-Maija Tailfeathers, Alex Tarrant, Brooklyn Letexier-Hart and Shaun Sipos. The indigenous sci-fi thriller portrays a military occupation that controls disenfranchised cities in post-war North America.

In the film, children are property of the state and a desperate Cree woman joins an underground band of vigilantes to infiltrate a state children’s academy to get her daughter back. Goulet's feature directorial debut is being produced by Tara Woodbury, Paul Barkin, Ainsley Gardiner, Georgina Condor and Chelsea Winstanley.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Not gonna lie, I’m totally going to watch and enjoy this.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 am

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:17 am

you can read the short story that Antlers is based on here: https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy/

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 am

Going through our annual scary movie watch. Some updates...

Halloween (2018): Surprisingly great. It kept the feel of the original while updating it to make it feel more modern. So much better than Rob Zombie's bullshit. It does bum me out that 2-8 are no longer canon, though. Well, mostly just 2.

Carrie (1976): I didn't grow up on this so I don't have the nostalgic factor that most do, but man does this not hold up at all. Also, what the hell is up with the full frontal high school girl nudity within the first 5 minutes of the film? The 70s were weird.

Hereditary (2018): Holy ****. This movie **** me up. My fiancé made me check every room in the house afterwards to make sure we were alone.

The Witch (2015): Not as good as Hereditary, but still solid. Had to turn on subtitles though as the early modern English dialect was tough to understand. Subtitles tend to kill suspense when it says **** like "ominous music intensifies."

We plan on keeping with the A24 theme and watching Midsommar next.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:44 am

Source of the post
Hereditary (2018): Holy ****. This movie **** me up. My fiancé made me check every room in the house afterwards to make sure we were alone.
I haven't watched any trailers or know anything about this movie. I've heard it's good. I see it's on prime and I've been wanting to watch it and have purposely been kept in the dark, but haven't been able to get the wife to come around yet. I'm not even sure how to ask this without spoilers, but is there a general premise you could give me without giving anything away? Trying to find a way to get her to watch it without ruining it for myself but I have no idea how to tell her it will be fine, haha

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am

Source of the post
I haven't watched any trailers or know anything about this movie. I've heard it's good. I see it's on prime and I've been wanting to watch it and have purposely been kept in the dark, but haven't been able to get the wife to come around yet. I'm not even sure how to ask this without spoilers, but is there a general premise you could give me without giving anything away? Trying to find a way to get her to watch it without ruining it for myself but I have no idea how to tell her it will be fine, haha
Man that's tough. We watched the trailer beforehand and honestly I wish I hadn't seen that. It doesn't give away the plot at all, but it does give away some pretty important moments early on. I've typed out a few brief premises and have deleted them because I worry that I'm giving too much away. It's about a family dealing with the death of their grandmother. That's incredibly vague, right?

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am

Source of the post
Man that's tough. We watched the trailer beforehand and honestly I wish I hadn't seen that. It doesn't give away the plot at all, but it does give away some pretty important moments early on. I've typed out a few brief premises and have deleted them because I worry that I'm giving too much away. It's about a family dealing with the death of their grandmother. That's incredibly vague, right?
thanks, I think the concern was if it dealt with the death of kids, that's a tough watch for us, but her grandfather just passed away a few days ago too, so this may not be the best viewing right now. Maybe we'll just jump to Midsommar.

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:38 am

Source of the post
Wife and I just watched this on Sunday night...and holy sh*t. Nocera is correct...any type of description would give something away. Squarely in the psychological horror category. Really does a great job of setting a tone of unease right away that never relents.

My wife said she was kinda meh after it ended, but then proceeded to discuss it with me for like an hour...and 'accidentally' left her bedside light on when she fell asleep. :?

Just be prepared to say 'what the?' at least 10 times in a 2 hour period.