Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:33 am

Isn't the Elmo puppeteer the one who diddled kids?
I just assume that all puppeteers diddle kids.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:16 pm

:lol:

Is that Big Bird view from Mount Washington? Seems too far from the bridge.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Being sick today got to watch some movies that have been piling up downstairs on the bigscreen and in 4k.

Creed II -- Enjoyed it alot. Stallone knows how to write/direct these films. Michael B. Jordan puts in a great performance again. On par with the first Creed... may have liked it a bit more. Just a good movie. Not much to nitpick.

The Predator -- Ohhhhh boy was this movie trash. I'm glad I didn't waste money to see this in the theaters like I was going to. I'm not even going to say much other than it sucked, and none of it was good. Script awful, tone awful, cgi awful... just all really bad.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Brie Larson and her stunt doubles.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:29 am

Just got tickets to see Toy Story 4 Saturday morning...can't wait. For absolutely no reason whatsoever, decided to splurge on the IMAX 2D :lol: Being able to choose your own seats in movie theaters has made the experience SO much more enjoyable.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 am

*purchases the seats directly in front of shaf*

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am

*purchases the seats directly in front of shaf*
:)

I figure it will be a full theater anyway....go for it.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 pm

”Ever wonder where your passion, your dreams and your interests come from? What is it that makes you…YOU?” reads the tagline for Pixar’s upcoming original, Soul. Disney announced today that in exactly a year’s time, on June 19 2020, Soul will arrive in theatres and take its viewers “on a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions.” Fans on Twitter were quick to draw comparisons to older Pixar films like Inside Out, which explored an adolescent girl’s emotional struggle to adjust to a new city.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

I was just about to say that sounds an awful lot like Inside Out, which was great. Doesn't even matter. I'm thrilled to see Pixar doing more original films.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Last few weeks started renting a bunch of movies on Google play. Rankings:

Deadpool 2
Hurt Locker
Sicario

Hard Eight

Glass
The Mule
Captain Marvel

All i considered at least good. I was disappointed with how disappointed i was with Marvel. And i went in with lowered expectations. She looked cool at times but that was about it. Multiple times her acting stood out as sucky and took me out of the movie

The mule was good for what it was but although the drug cartel and investigators weren't the point of the movie they were fairly lamely done. Glass was interesting but somewhat boring

Hard Eight was slow but thoroughly good. Sicario was a blast. Held my interest completely. Hurt locker must have gotten bad press for me. I swore the previous made it look like a different movie focused on much more romance and stints back home. I loved it. And deadpool the same. I thought i heard it wasn't great. But it was awesome and hilarious and i liked it better than the first. I checked the reviews and that's the consensus. Weird i misheard that.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Big fan of hard eight. Philip Baker Hall is great.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Sicario was a blast. Held my interest completely.
The border crossing scene is an outstanding piece of film making. There are 10 minutes of build up before they even set out for Juarez, and your sense of dread keeps snowballing, and when the action happens it's just 3-4 seconds of violence but it's so intense.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Agreed all around. I still shake my head that i was in Juarez with my dinky church group helping build homes as a teen. On the crossing, since i get a very dark tan, my pastor put me in the back of the bus with some words of warning. I didn't take it seriously but as i get older it creeps me out. the antique city we wandered around was cool though. Makes you appreciate a cold orange bottle of soda in that sun and dust.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am

I was disappointed with how disappointed I was? Shouldn't the phrase be, "I was surprised with how disappointed I was".

shoeshine boy

Movie Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 am

went to a screening of Yesterday well, yesterday. cute little RomCom but don't waste your money. see it when it comes on cable. I felt Kate McKinnon was a bit of a mis-cast.

I do have to wonder though, what is it about the English and the Beatles? granted that they were a little before my time but I just don't see them in the God-like way that Brits my age and a little older seem to.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am

**** The Beatles.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:04 am

@tifosi77 can (and will :lol: ) comment further, and neither of us can speak to the British love of the Beatles, but they are in my estimation the birth of the pop musician as artist phenomenon. The Beatles wrote their own music, had a distinct fashion sense, played all of their own instruments, and set the tone for pop culture in the 60s.

Sure, there were other successful artists before them - Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry - but they didn't do all of the above exclusively.

Without the Beatles, I'm not sure what pop/rock music would look or sound like today. Torch singers? Country music? Who knows. They were highly influential, and remain so today. Younger generations are just used to pop music culture as it is, they don't realize its origin.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 am

went to a screening of Yesterday well, yesterday. cute little RomCom but don't waste your money. see it when it comes on cable. I felt Kate McKinnon was a bit of a mis-cast.

I do have to wonder though, what is it about the English and the Beatles? granted that they were a little before my time but I just don't see them in the God-like way that Brits my age and a little older seem to.
Yesterday? I won't pass up a movie that has Richard Curtis hands on it. I think it looks great. I'm also a fan of The Beatles and Danny Boyle.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 am

and Lily James

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 am

and Lily James
Have you seen The Exception? Plenty of Lily James to see in that film. :pop:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:25 am

:pop: indeed. Is the movie any good?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah, it is. I'm a WWII history buff, so it held my interest.

I did not expect to see all of Lily James in the film, however.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:47 am

Streaming on Amazon too, nice! Thanks for the recommendation

shoeshine boy

Movie Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:19 am

@tifosi77 can (and will :lol: ) comment further, and neither of us can speak to the British love of the Beatles, but they are in my estimation the birth of the pop musician as artist phenomenon. The Beatles wrote their own music, had a distinct fashion sense, played all of their own instruments, and set the tone for pop culture in the 60s.

Sure, there were other successful artists before them - Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry - but they didn't do all of the above exclusively.

Without the Beatles, I'm not sure what pop/rock music would look or sound like today. Torch singers? Country music? Who knows. They were highly influential, and remain so today. Younger generations are just used to pop music culture as it is, they don't realize its origin.
I completely get how the Beatles are basically responsible for pop as we know it but with the Brits it's more than that. I guess the easiest way to explain it is to say the Beatles are to England what hockey is to Canadians.