Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Sounds like the new Halloween movie is awesome
I was lucky to get into a screening.

It's amazing. Best since the original hands down. You will not be disappointed.
Nice! How was carpenter's score?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Won't affect my decision to see the movie one bit.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Solo would be much better remembered if it came out in December.
I very much agree with this notion. It probably would've served the movie better, overall, as well.

Jaws may have invented the 'summer blockbuster', but Star Wars cemented it. Then they reinevted the holiday season as tentpole days instead of Oscar-bait December.... they owned Christmas for three years. There's no reason to have changed that up for a spin-off, especially one with a troubled production. It's the one bad decision I'll attribute to Kathy K in her tenure at LFL.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Solo would be much better remembered if it came out in December.
I very much agree with this notion. It probably would've served the movie better, overall, as well.

Jaws may have invented the 'summer blockbuster', but Star Wars cemented it. Then they reinevted the holiday season as tentpole days instead of Oscar-bait December.... they owned Christmas for three years. There's no reason to have changed that up for a spin-off, especially one with a troubled production. It's the one bad decision I'll attribute to Kathy K in her tenure at LFL.
I have enjoyed this summit. Rivals Nixon-to-China. ;)

Freddy Rumsen

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Btw, Solo comes out in blu-ray September 25th.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Olivia Munn is quite the annoying NTP66 isn't she?
She had to stand near a convicted sex offender for a while and say some lines! You can't imagine what that's like!
THE HORROR!
She had to stand near a convicted sex offender for a while and say some lines! You can't imagine what that's like!
All news about the new predator movie is about this. I don't think this is what they had in mind when promoting the movie the last 2 weeks. Wonder how much of an effect it's going to have
So far the reviews aren't good. Probably time to just let the series die.

This is good news. Halloween is a top 3 horror movie for me.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:30 pm

There's no way I'd be cool with this if it were me, or a loved one. It would be one thing if it were disclosed ahead of time and I had the chance to make an informed decision. But only finding out during the junket, days before release, knowing you're going to be at the premier with the guy..... yeah, I have no problem at all with her making a stink, and the castmates giving her the cold shoulder are giant rusty douchepistols.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Nice! How was carpenter's score?
Creepy af

You can tell he really put serious effort into it.

The "new" Shape is terrifying...

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:38 pm

I was thinking more Baxter and Katow-Jo's cousin, but I'll take it. :fist:

Freddy Rumsen

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

I was thinking more Baxter and Katow-Jo's cousin, but I'll take it. :fist:
Haha...that works as well.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm

So, from skimming non-spoilerly Halloween reviews it sounds like Jamie Lee Curtis is a badass and
as the movie makes clear and Laurie already knows, Michael Myers is simply a relentless force of evil. He’s not there to reveal what’s going on inside his mind anymore than the shark in Jaws or the xenomorph in Alien did. In an era where genre movies, especially long-established franchises, feel the need to demythologize or over-explain iconic characters, it’s refreshing that Halloween simply has the boogeyman be the boogeyman
SOLD

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:53 pm

There's no way I'd be cool with this if it were me, or a loved one. It would be one thing if it were disclosed ahead of time and I had the chance to make an informed decision. But only finding out during the junket, days before release, knowing you're going to be at the premier with the guy..... yeah, I have no problem at all with her making a stink, and the castmates giving her the cold shoulder are giant rusty douchepistols.
Curious how the background check system works for movies? This guy was convicted and spent time in jail, correct? Reading about him, he definitely seems like a creep, but everything is out there on him. Is that the studios job to disclose that so and so was arrested a decade ago for such and such? How does that work?

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:03 pm

She did a movie with Bill Cosby?

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 pm

A friend of mine was busted by the PoPo while peeing on a dumpster behind a strip mall and was considered a sex-offender for 6 months until he got it reversed. (early 90's so things may have changed)

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm

A friend of mine was busted by the PoPo while peeing on a dumpster behind a strip mall and was considered a sex-offender for 6 months until he got it reversed. (early 90's so things may have changed)
This guy tried to start a sexual relationship with a 14 year old girl

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Little different.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Curious how the background check system works for movies? This guy was convicted and spent time in jail, correct? Reading about him, he definitely seems like a creep, but everything is out there on him. Is that the studios job to disclose that so and so was arrested a decade ago for such and such? How does that work?
Studios response last week:
Our studio was not aware of Mr. Striegel’s background when he was hired. We were not aware of his background during the casting process due to legal limitations that impede studios from running background checks on actors.
Black's original statement was:
In his own statement, Black defended and explained his decision to cast Striegel as a jogger who interacts with Munn’s character: “I personally chose to help a friend. I can understand others might disapprove, as his conviction was on a sensitive charge and not to be taken lightly.” He added that he believes his friend Striegel was “caught up in a bad situation versus something lecherous.”
Which was likely based on the lie Striegel had been telling everyone:
In emails to The Times, Striegel described her as one of his “distant relatives” who spoke to him at “several family gatherings” about “a multitude of problems she was facing, including being a truant, being pressured to do drugs and alcohol, and that she had started having sex, as well as many other things.”

In an attempt to boost her self-esteem, Striegel said he “made the the very bad judgement call of telling her in these emails that she was attractive, and sexy, and not a failure, etc.” He said he made it clear the two could not engage in a romantic relationship because of her age and because they were related.
Reaction from Shane Black after the fact:
“Having read this morning’s news reports, it has sadly become clear to me that I was misled by a friend I really wanted to believe was telling me the truth when he described the circumstances of his conviction. I believe strongly in giving people second chances - but sometimes you discover that chance is not as warranted as you may have hoped.

After learning more about the affidavit, transcripts and additional details surrounding Steve Striegel’s sentence, I am deeply disappointed in myself. I apologize to all of those, past and present, I’ve let down by having Steve around them without giving them a voice in the decision.”

I don't know how you can go through a background check from hell to get a corporate job but apparently the SAG has some restriction that prevents studios from doing the same for people playing pretend. Seems like unless you intimately know the details or set out to investigate the person on your own, their background can be a completely mystery. Dude lied to Shane Black, who also put him in Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys, and Black took his word for it, causing Munn the horrific indignation of having to stand next to the guy and talk to him.

No idea how Munn learned the truth, but the people in power didn't know the truth and didn't really have the means or the motivation to learn the truth. Her castmates responded with "eh whatever", because really who gives a ****? The truth about his conviction is now public and his scene was cut from the movie. The wrong has been righted. You weren't sexually assaulted on camera; you had to stand next to and interact with a sex offender. **** happens. Shut the **** up about it. If ya don't like it, dodint at your union, which doesn't allow background investigations.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Also while looking him up, I read that the bad guy from Howard the Duck (Ferris bueller principal) was arrested for underage pictures

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Jesus. This is an actual quote from Olivia Munn on the situation:

"The people who collude to keep people like this in positions of power, that's the real problem, the people who keep turning blind eyes," Munn says.

The guy's most consistent paycheck was 8 episodes of Melrose Place 20 years ago. What kind of position of power is that? QUIT TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELF A VICTIM YOU ANNOYING Canaan. No wonder Aaron Rodgers dumped you.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:39 pm

That was my thought as well. She's wielded her power to have this guy completely wiped off the project and is still complaining.

Is the underlying premise that sex offenders can never repay their debt to society? If so, why not make it a capital crime?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Megan's Law in CA actually cannot be used in making HR decisions (hiring, firing, demoting, etc), unless the decision is made to protect persons that might placed 'at risk' by being in proximity to the offender. Typically, this is normally limited to the offender being around minors, or hospitals, nursing homes, etc. So while his scene was completely cut, for the purposes of his salary and SAG/AFTRA credit, this will be treated like an extra whose part just ended up on the cutting room floor for pacing reasons.

As Olivia Munn was the only member of the principal cast to work with this guy (especially in a one-on-one context, not that they'd ever be alone with each other), this was down to the actor guy and Shane Black choosing to keep this info close to their vests. And I see now that Black has sort of disowned the actor guy, saying he had been misled all these years as to the nature of his criminal conviction. I'm guessing he has done this so as not to completely piss off the casts and crews of the other movies he's cast this guy in over the last decade.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Sounds like he was a jogger in the movie and said lines in passing? I get that she has an issue with this, but I feel like it's been blown way out of proportion. He was convicted and spent 6 months in prison 10 years ago. It's not like this was a love scene with her and the guy was out on a warrant.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:54 pm

To me it is much less about the actor guy and more about Black. Actor guy's a nobody, but Black is an A-list director, a guy who can get a film greenlit just by expressing interest in the project.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Nobody is supporting what he did, it was probably a bad decision to keep the details from her in the beginning, but let's not act like this whole thing was brought up because he was inappropriate on set (not directed towards anyone here)

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:59 pm

To me it is much less about the actor guy and more about Black. Actor guy's a nobody, but Black is an A-list director, a guy who can get a film greenlit just by expressing interest in the project.
Yeah, bad call on his part for not bringing it up, but I don't know how society works today for these things.