Movie Thread

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

XP still safe anymore? Figured they'd be done patching it.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Source of the post time to fire up the old XP desktop
Friends don't let friends run XP... time to upgrade, bud.
it's a virus machine, Everything is wiped and I don't care what happens to it. Perfect for screener season.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

XP still safe anymore? Figured they'd be done patching it.
Even Steve Gibson has moved off of XP. It's time to go.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

XP patching ended in 2016.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Supposedly XP Embedded is still getting patches but you have to trick MS into pushing them to you.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:14 pm

I haven't turned it on since the beginning of last year as well, so it will be interesting to see if it starts. Wife will not allow any screener downloads on her laptop.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Supposedly XP Embedded is still getting patches but you have to trick MS into pushing them to you.
Only Windows Embedded Standard and POS are supported through next year, I think. The other 2 XP embeddeds (and most widely used) are done. Still, anyone running XP embedded should be flogged.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

One of the strangest things I saw was the cheering for Tonya Harding and having her at the awards?
The 30 for 30 on Tonya and Nancy is pretty entertaining. The crazy thing about their story is that Kerrigan is the less sympathetic one.

BigMck

Movie Thread

Postby BigMck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Watched Battle of the Sexes over the weekend. Bobby Riggs Vs. Billie Jean King.
Entertaining movie, but after reading up on the real events that lead up to the match, the wife and I agree that it ventured more into the secret personal love life of Billie Jean than focusing on the story of the struggles of being a female tennis player trying to compete for equal sponsorship and coverage.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Three Billboards was **** great.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 am

Wow that was a dark and bleak movie. Performances were terrific, but there was something off about the movie for me. Not sure if it needed more of a resolution or what. Not a bad movie, but it didn't do much for me.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 am

apparently they made a new fantastic four movie. i watched it while falling asleep last night. cast was more likeable than the original. didnt see how it ended

Morkle

Movie Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

Finally watched GotG2. Was pretty good. Glad it stayed close to the original.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am

Rewatched the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy over the weather-induced long weekend. I hadn't seen Dark Knight Rises for some reason, so first time watching that. Really great films, and definitely an excellent depiction of Batman. Even had a great ending.

It's a shame that Nolan couldn't be more involved with the newer DC movies. I would've liked
to have seen Joseph Gordon Leavitt's take on Nightwing

I have decided to go back and watch the Bond films in reverse order. Sceptre and Skyfall down. Sceptre was just OK: I liked how all of the Craig films were tied up with the plot of it, but it was just OK. Skyfall was excellent. Quantum of Solace up next - the opening car chase is excellent, but I have little remembrance of the rest of the movie.

Morkle

Movie Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

Honestly no idea what DC was doing with the newer films, Nolan showed them how to make hits by keeping it gritty/dark, etc.

I know they were trying to ride the Avengers success, but they failed spectacularly, imo.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 am

Wow that was a dark and bleak movie. Performances were terrific, but there was something off about the movie for me. Not sure if it needed more of a resolution or what. Not a bad movie, but it didn't do much for me.
I was the opposite...
I was afraid that they were going to give too much resolution. It's far more realistic that the billboards would just cause personal issues throughout the town rather than lead to finding the killer. I was also not at all looking forward to Mildred and Dixon becoming vigilante murderers, so I was satisfied with how the ending played out.
I agree that the performances were fantastic. Frances McDormand is amazing.

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:48 am

The Nolans were involved, to some level, with Man of Steel. It was supposedly Jonathan's pitch to WB that got the ball rolling and they were listed as producers.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 am

Rewatched the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy over the weather-induced long weekend. I hadn't seen Dark Knight Rises for some reason, so first time watching that. Really great films, and definitely an excellent depiction of Batman. Even had a great ending.

It's a shame that Nolan couldn't be more involved with the newer DC movies. I would've liked
to have seen Joseph Gordon Leavitt's take on Nightwing

I have decided to go back and watch the Bond films in reverse order. Sceptre and Skyfall down. Sceptre was just OK: I liked how all of the Craig films were tied up with the plot of it, but it was just OK. Skyfall was excellent. Quantum of Solace up next - the opening car chase is excellent, but I have little remembrance of the rest of the movie.
"Great ending". Hmmmm. Yes. The very very end. How the end came to be was pretty bad, I thought. The twist ending with French lady...demoting bane to henchman status...the impotent bomb...blech

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am

Yes, the very very end.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am

The new pirates of the Caribbean movie streaming on Netflix is better than I thought it would be and better than the recent offerings. Fun movie
Watched it this weekend, and have to agree. I'm almost at the point where I can't stand Depp's character, though.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am

Honestly no idea what DC was doing with the newer films, Nolan showed them how to make hits by keeping it gritty/dark, etc.

I know they were trying to ride the Avengers success, but they failed spectacularly, imo.
See, I think the problem was they saw that Nolan's films were "gritty/dark" and decided that was the reason they were successful. Not the story, cinematography, performances (especially TDK)... So they brought Snyder on board and gave him no direction other than "make it gritty/dark" which resulted in every DC hero being a clone of Batman.

Even though Nolan's trilogy was dark and gritty, there were plenty of moments that were fun. DC missed the fun.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am

The new pirates of the Caribbean movie streaming on Netflix is better than I thought it would be and better than the recent offerings. Fun movie
Watched it this weekend, and have to agree. I'm almost at the point where I can't stand Depp's character, though.
He was my least favorite part of the movie.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

Same here, which is why I appreciated the time before he made his first appearance.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 am

I was the opposite...
I was afraid that they were going to give too much resolution. It's far more realistic that the billboards would just cause personal issues throughout the town rather than lead to finding the killer. I was also not at all looking forward to Mildred and Dixon becoming vigilante murderers, so I was satisfied with how the ending played out.
I agree that the performances were fantastic. Frances McDormand is amazing.
yeah, the more I think about and read your thoughts, resolution isn't really what would have done anything for me. I had a little issue with Rockwells character arc from beginning to end and while he did an outstanding job, I wasn't ready to ride with him in the car at the end. I just didn't feel like there was a smooth flow to the whole thing. I got pulled in here and there, but had a tough time investing all the way. Still a good movie, I just didn't think it was up to par with his other stuff.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

Concur. I really liked the opening scene with the safe, but after that I got tired of him.