Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:18 am

Maybe that was the final impetus for PG13 then. Cos that was...........a lot to take for 11-year old me going to a movie by myself for the first time. lol

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:43 am

Wicked is a damn near perfect first act and an incredibly forgettable second act (other than "For Good"). Which makes the decision to split it into two films baffling to me, especially if it's split by the musical acts.

The second act is also pretty light on story and I'm guessing this is where the film will most stray from the musical. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot more Wizard of Oz here.
This. The original wonderful wizard of Oz book is wonderful. The first wicked book is also wonderful. The first act of the musical is wonderful. There's a lot of good oz stuff out there.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:48 am

Maybe that was the final impetus for PG13 then. Cos that was...........a lot to take for 11-year old me going to a movie by myself for the first time. lol
Ditto, that scene is seared into my brain from a young age.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:25 am

Songbirds and snakes was great. Ending was a little rushed, but I think I enjoyed this movie more than the book (minus the rushed ending) and some of the other hunger games movies. Viola Davis and Jason schwartzman were creepy/funny. Nice seeing Maria and and Chino together again

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Oscar prep:
The Holdovers: Pig Vomit crushes it here. Giamatti absolutely deserves the Oscar for this performance. But Dominic Sessa really surprised me with how good he was. He didn't seem out of place next to Giamatti at all. Crazy that it's his first role. I also just learned that he's currently attending Carnegie Mellon as a drama major.

The Anatomy of a Fall: Give me more international court room dramas. It was fascinating just to see how the french court system works. Beyond that, solid story, great performances, especially from Sandra Huller and the son (whose name I don't know).

Past Lives: Meh. I get what it's trying to do but I had a hard time actually caring about any of it.

Oppenheimer: It's fine. Cillian Murphy is great. The detonation scene is insanely underwhelming and I'm not sure why Nolan wouldn't just use the actual footage. Speaking of Nolan, he's very hit or miss for me and lately he's been trending miss. This was another miss for me. Using the court case as a framing technique did more harm than good, imo.

I've already talked about Barbie and American Fiction in this thread somewhere. I still need to see Zone of Interest and Poor Things.

We watched Iron Claw last night. Efron and his new face were the best part. The problem with being so familiar with the Von Erich's story is the stuff that the movie either left out or completely fabricated stood out in a negative way. Plus, that scene with Kerry and his brothers at the end was so bad and unnecessary. Before I saw it, I was surprised it was overlooked. Now that I have, I get it.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:18 pm

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:28 pm

Desert power!

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:05 pm

In honor of these two late actors. Go watch this movie if you’ve never seen it. It’s hilarious.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:15 pm

Maybe now you'll agree drinking has its benefits.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:29 pm

Pittsburgh Nelly.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:12 pm

“Got a drippy dong, eh?” is an oft-used quote in my family

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm

just realized that Chubbs wears Lacoste in Happy Gilmore. I appreciate that detail

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:02 pm

Aquaman 2 was not good.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:26 pm

Bottoms was interesting. Entertaining, I guess. And one of the supporting actors looked oddly familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. It was Cindy Crawford's now 22 year old daughter. Looks just like her.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:10 am

Last Voyage of the Demeter had some crazy logic, even for a horror movie. Spoilers:
The ship's crew knows that people only die/get attacked at night. They have seen two people who have been bit burst into flames in the daylight. So their grand plan is to lure Dracula onto the deck of the ship at night, shoot him, then lock him in the ship and sink it. Why not just sink the ship during the day when he is presumably asleep below deck?

During this grand plan Dracula is flying around (he has wings) and attacking people. The crew doesn't want him to get to land where he can keep killing people. Even though land is visible in the near distance and even though they know he can fly, they still decide to sink the ship instead of, I don't know, steering it back out to sea.

The dialogue was terrible. And the set up for a sequel that will never happen was laughable.

It was probably the worst "real" movie I've seen in a couple years.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:59 pm

It Could Happen To You (Cage, Fonda, Rosie Perez)...Rosie Perez and her pentagon face can die in a tire fire. I forgot how awful she talked because she rightfully fell face first out of the spot light. That movie is pretty funny but not intentionally...

Mannequin with Kim Cattrall might be in my bottom 10 movies ever list. Conceptually it's bad, the writing is horrendous, the jokes are garbage, and the acting is next to zero. No part of it ever makes sense. There's never any rules as to what the mannequin can do or does or did...oh, it stinks.

Also, if conservatives think that all LGBT people are Hollywood from that movie, I do understand why they wouldn't want to be near them or have their kids fondled by them or whatever...

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:43 pm

Last Voyage of the Demeter had some crazy logic, even for a horror movie. Spoilers:
The ship's crew knows that people only die/get attacked at night. They have seen two people who have been bit burst into flames in the daylight. So their grand plan is to lure Dracula onto the deck of the ship at night, shoot him, then lock him in the ship and sink it. Why not just sink the ship during the day when he is presumably asleep below deck?

During this grand plan Dracula is flying around (he has wings) and attacking people. The crew doesn't want him to get to land where he can keep killing people. Even though land is visible in the near distance and even though they know he can fly, they still decide to sink the ship instead of, I don't know, steering it back out to sea.

The dialogue was terrible. And the set up for a sequel that will never happen was laughable.

It was probably the worst "real" movie I've seen in a couple years.
The bit of the book Dracula that talks about the Demeter is only 4 or 5 pages. It's like the Space Jockey in Alien; there's obviously a story to be told about how this ship carrying this cargo got to where the story proper picks up and the cargo starts to run amok (esp considering the inspo for the ship in the book was a real shipwreck in southern England). But.........

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:36 pm

Also
that "you can see the land" thing is why they filmed Jaws in Martha's Vineyard. They needed a specific underwater topography to make the shark sleds work, but they also needed it to be in an orientation that would allow them 180° of unobstructed horizon to always point the camera 'out to sea'. Specifically because Spielberg recognized the audience's ability to say "Hey, probably fewer sharks on the land." There's only like four shots from when they get aboard the Orca until the shark dies where you can see land in the background.

Sunrise, turn towards the open sea, lash the wheel, launch the boat(s), set fire to the ship, paddle to safety. *credits*

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:05 pm

It Could Happen To You (Cage, Fonda, Rosie Perez)...Rosie Perez and her pentagon face can die in a tire fire. I forgot how awful she talked because she rightfully fell face first out of the spot light. That movie is pretty funny but not intentionally...

Mannequin with Kim Cattrall might be in my bottom 10 movies ever list. Conceptually it's bad, the writing is horrendous, the jokes are garbage, and the acting is next to zero. No part of it ever makes sense. There's never any rules as to what the mannequin can do or does or did...oh, it stinks.

Also, if conservatives think that all LGBT people are Hollywood from that movie, I do understand why they wouldn't want to be near them or have their kids fondled by them or whatever...
Bad take on Mannequin.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:20 pm

BJ, I love ya, but you're crazy man...that movie stinks to high heaven...

What's the elevator pitch on it...?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:52 pm

The most notable thing about Mannequin is that it - somehow - produced a sequel.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am

Never played the game, but I'm excited about this one.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:56 am

It's rare when you can tell a movie is going to be horrible just from promotional images but...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 pm

Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart being in the same film is very confusing to me

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:05 pm

Is that Jamie Lee Curtis too??