Movie Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

So now I'm hitting up movies I haven't seen in either a long time, or never.

Watched Airplane over the weekend. I probably watched it a long time ago, but I didn't really remember it outside of some of the classic lines. It has it's moments, but wasn't as good as I thought I remembered it.
honestly I agree. I grew up watching Naked Gun and that runs circles around Airplane

Airplane is a great trailblazer of those parody type movies with very snappy wordplay but Naked Gun perfects it imo

that said, I miss those types of movies. Last ones we got that were great were 21/22 Jump Street. I miss those comedies (parody movies like the old Scary Movies too); hope they come back at some point

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:30 am

Watched Something in the dirt yesterday. That is a fun little indie movie. Benson and Moorehead continue to impress me with everything they do.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 am

I love Leslie Nielsen but those parodies got pretty tired by the end. I watched the trailer for Wrongfully Accused the other day and it didn't look fun at all.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:22 am

Best Picture watch: The Banshees of Inisherin is really great and easily my top runner so far (only 3 in but still). It's beautifully shot, brilliantly acted, funny, sad, weird as hell, and it all mixes together to create this perfect little snapshot of life on this tiny island where the smallest of conflicts feels absolutely massive. I'll watch this one again for sure.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:38 am

Little late to this one, but Malignant is awesome, haha, man that movie was something

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:59 pm

So, two separate Batman movies and a Joker sequel, all taking place in different continuities. The new DCEU is a lot like the old one: confusing as hell. Lanterns sounds great, though, and I'll always be excited for a new Superman movie.

I'm sure Bold and the Brave, Batman 2, and Joker 2 will be solid. I'm just not sure why Reeves' Batman isn't part of the continuity and confusing the general audience is a bad move. Either go all in with a DCEU or have each movie exist independently.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:06 pm

2 more years for reeves Batman, he had a trilogy mapped out, probably didn't want to mess with that based on success of first one. I'm good with that. Batman and son will be great! I'm pretty excited about all of this and it sounds like the flash movie is actually good. I'm really excited for swamp thing, hopefully it's the Alan Moore run and they get GDT to make it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:34 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I really dug The Batman so I’m all in on the sequels. And I’m sure Batman & son will be fun. And the Joker sequel is definitely interesting. Having three Batman-ish continuities running simultaneously just feels sloppy. If I get confused, I can’t imagine how general moviegoers like my parents would feel. Or maybe I’m overthinking it and they don’t give a **** and just want to be entertained for a few hours.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 pm

The general problem is that they want to do a proper "universe" but can't overcome the fact that Batman is the true DC money maker and he works better as a character contained to his own world without aliens or super powers. A Batman series that doesn't suck and a Batman who gets sacrificed in a larger universe is the trade off I guess.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:03 am

Best picture watch: Tár. I watched it.

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:07 am

Batman is like my first love. Don't care how he fits in with the overall DCEU, just give me some Batman movies.

Kane

Movie Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am

Truly one of the reviews of all time.

Beveridge

Movie Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 pm

I used to do a watch through of all the best picture noms until I ran into too many movies like I'm assuming this is.
However, I'll add that a movie like A King's Speech, which I think is great, would have been a movie I missed out on had I not done that exercise.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 pm

I'm tired of any and all super hero movies I might watch the next Deadpool but otherwise I cannot wait for them to stop making these

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Tar was probably 20 - 30 minutes too long. But otherwise great.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:58 pm

I used to do a watch through of all the best picture noms until I ran into too many movies like I'm assuming this is.
However, I'll add that a movie like A King's Speech, which I think is great, would have been a movie I missed out on had I not done that exercise.
It's exactly what most people think about when they think of best picture nominations. It's a two and a half hour character study. The first two hours is clouded by the threat of something happening. When something finally does happen about 2 hours in, it's so stupid that I was angry at the film for wasting my time. Cate Blanchett is absolutely perfect. The performances and cinematography are really great and worthy of their nominations. There's one scene in particular that is incredibly impressive both from a technical perspective and from a performance perspective. But the story as a whole left me feeling bitter. If it was 40 minutes shorter, I would be more forgiving.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm

I rewatched the first half of The Tuskegee Airmen, the 1995 HBO movie. I'd seen it a couple of times before, but not for years. If it wasn't for the language and racial epithets, it could have been a network TV movie of the week. The pacing, music, etc. just reminded me of those old network Sunday night movies. Still superior to Red Tails, but it's starting to show its age.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:15 am

Best picture watch: The Fabelmans. Absolutely loved it. Only Spielberg can make a movie that is so inherently masturbatory and have it be so relatable and inspirational (at times).
It was marketed as one of those 'the power of cinema' movies and yet another hollywood movie about hollywood movies. But the moviemaking aspect is just a backdrop to what is essentially the story of a family's gradual dissolve. In fact, every scene where Sammy is showing a movie to a room full of people, he's standing at the projector dealing with other issues in his head, ignoring the film. It's really funny and lovely in that very Spielberg-ian way but it's also heartbreaking and uncomfortable. Judd Hirsch and Michelle Williams are great and because of that I feel like Gabriel LaBelle's is overlooked. And that final shot is perfection.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:27 pm

I like that movies as divergent as E.T. and The Fabelmans - separated by a lifetime of experience - are sourced from the same inciting incident in Spielberg's real life.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm

Godzilla 98 is on TV randomly....and it's even worse than I remembered.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 pm

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:41 pm

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:21 pm

I guess humor is subjective.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:47 am

lol, get ****, AMC.

AMC Theatres to Change Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Location
At your next visit to AMC Theatres, getting a prime seat may cost you a little extra.

The country’s largest exhibition chain is rolling out Sightline at AMC, a ticket pricing initiative based on seat location within the auditorium. Moviegoers will have the option to pay more or less for admission depending on where they choose to sit in the theater. In effect, front row seats will be available at a lower price, while seats in the middle of the theater will be available at a higher price.

The initiative kicks off on Friday at select AMC locations in New York, Chicago and Kansas City and will be expanded to all domestic AMC locations by the end of the year.

There will be three different seat-pricing options. The first is Standard Sightline, described as the “seats that are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.” Then there’s Value Sightline, referred to as “seats in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than standard sightline seats.” (Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership.) The third option is Preferred Sightline, which are the “seats in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a premium to standard sightline seats.” AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to reserve seats in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.