Movie Thread

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:37 pm

I did really like when
Ralphie reading the old man story transitioned into the beginning of the original movie. That was a really sweet way to tie it to the original. Although it also makes the new film’s VO feel even more out of place.
:thumb:

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:47 pm

The new Knives Out movie was good. If you liked the first you'll prob like this one. More of the same, yet still different (first one has a more "traditional" feel, I'd say). Featured several straight-up comedic bits that I did not expect going in.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Movie Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:41 pm

I've actually went out of my way to see the real Pablo Escobear when I drove to TN last month.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Clerks III
is a god damn tragedy. It has some funny parts, some cheesy stuff, some 'get over yourself, Kevin' stuff, and some legit emotional stuff. But at its core, it's not hopeful like Clerks 2. It's not hilarious and inspiring like the OG Clerks. It's straight up tragic. Dante lost his wife and unborn daughter just weeks after Clerks 2? Tragic. Veronica's story? Tragic. Caitlin's absence due to her real life death? Tragic. Randall loses his best friend just hours after realizing how important he is? Tragic. Randall standing at the counter at the end, alone? Tragic. Even with the few laughs, this movie just made me feel sad and that's not what I want from a Clerks film. That said, it's the best film Kevin Smith has made in years.

iamjs

Movie Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:02 pm

I mean what else could be done after that?
He definitely put the nail in the Clerks coffin with that movie, which I think needed to be done.

But I agree with everything that you said. At first, I watched it with this feeling that "well, this sucks." But after reading what you wrote, it kinda makes sense. Yes, there were funny parts and at some times it kinda felt a little too much like "let me rehash how I made Clerks but with 200% more bonus celebrity cameos", but remove those appearances and the Clerks flashbacks and it feels like a depressing story about getting old and losing those around you.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:07 pm

I mean what else could be done after that?
He definitely put the nail in the Clerks coffin with that movie, which I think needed to be done.

But I agree with everything that you said. At first, I watched it with this feeling that "well, this sucks." But after reading what you wrote, it kinda makes sense. Yes, there were funny parts and at some times it kinda felt a little too much like "let me rehash how I made Clerks but with 200% more bonus celebrity cameos", but remove those appearances and the Clerks flashbacks and it feels like a depressing story about getting old and losing those around you.
It's still that even with the cameos and flashbacks. That's why it's so damn tragic. I could do without the cameos, especially the audition scene. I did enjoyed seeing all of the bit players come back though. But the real core of this movie is loss and sadness. I would rather he left the characters where they were at the end of Clerks 2. That movie was a much better send off. Like I said, though, it's still a much better movie that Jay and Silent Bob Reboot or any of the other crap he's put out recently.

iamjs

Movie Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:37 pm

I could do without the cameos, especially the audition scene. I did enjoyed seeing all of the bit players come back though.
I was referring more to the auditions. It felt like plugging a celeb cameo just for the sake of having one. It really didn't add much.

Some were funny. Some... ehhhhhh.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:18 am

Nope was pretty cool. The Gordy storyline felt a little unnecessary and was very intense, but that's just a minor complaint. Kids liked the movie.

New Christmas story Christmas movie was better than I expected. I thought the flashbacks were pretty well done. Definitely some questionable decisions on parts that were a little too on the nose from the first movie, but overall we enjoyed it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:52 am

Nope was pretty cool. The Gordy storyline felt a little unnecessary and was very intense, but that's just a minor complaint. Kids liked the movie.
eh fwiw it tied in with the theme of the movie (exploiting animals/nature for personal gain). though I despised the CGI portion of it

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 am

eh fwiw it tied in with the theme of the movie (exploiting animals/nature for personal gain). though I despised the CGI portion of it
Yeah, that's true, I just felt like it didn't flow as well into the story. I really liked the movie and want to see it again. It was one of those movies that I thought could have benefited from a longer run time. Definitely a cool flick

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:56 pm

This looks fun

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 pm

Much better trailer. I'm in.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm

I never thought I’d say this but I’m impressed by Jack Black’s Bowser voice

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:45 pm

That's because Jack Black is awesome

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:04 am

Yes, that's actually the least surprising thing. I figured he would go all out.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:06 am

Can't believe how much Mario content they got into this. I'm excited

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 am

Forgot to say Christmas story Christmas also was a little strange seeing Julie Hagerty as the new mom. I couldn't get Airplane out of my head everytime she spoke.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:14 am

Yeah, I spent the whole movie trying to figure out who she was. For some reason, I thought it was Carol Kane.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:06 pm

:pop:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:24 am

Watched Con Air with the family last night. Man do I love action movies from the 90s like this. It was nice seeing top gun Maverick this year in that regard, but I'd like to see more of these. Youngest favorite was Buscemi's character and least favorite was Poe. I may have issues down the road with that one.

"Ugly all day"

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:31 am

The Cocaine Bear backstory, saw it in Variety:
While the murderous rampage was not part of the true story that “Cocaine Bear” is based on, the actual chain of events took place in September 1985 when a convicted drug smuggler named Andrew Thornton offloaded a duffel bag of cocaine over northern Georgia. A 175-pound black bear then ingested the cocaine and subsequently overdosed, and was discovered three months later next to about 40 plastic containers of cocaine. Thornton also died during an attempt to abandon the overloaded plane when his parachute was rendered faulty. Today, the bear is on display at the Kentucky for Kentucky Fun Mall in Lexington, Ky.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:41 am

Watched Con Air with the family last night. Man do I love action movies from the 90s like this. It was nice seeing top gun Maverick this year in that regard, but I'd like to see more of these. Youngest favorite was Buscemi's character and least favorite was Poe. I may have issues down the road with that one.

"Ugly all day"
Con Air is one of those movies that has no right being as entertaining as it is. Filled to the brim with corniness but still fun

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:12 pm

I haven't seen a Transformers movie since Revenge of the Fallen but if this is Beast Wars, it might be fun. Anthony Ramos is better than this, though.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm

Beast Wars? **** it, I'm in.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Wow, that looks horrible