Movie Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am

oh and I know why they did it, but I really wish they had the Comanches speak Comanche rather than English. I now know there’s a Comanche dub and wish I had seen that one (I’m not sure if I’m willing to re-watch it)

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am

putting it in spoilers just in case
-already mentioned the distractingly bad CGI

-every character felt one dimensional as all hell other than the brother really. particularly the non-brother natives who were comically antagonistic and the French who had less depth than the guerrillas in the first one

-Naru’s character development was incredibly heavy handed and painfully obvious how it was going to go. Felt like 1950’s Disney-tier writing

-how the **** does the Predator not know how his own weapon works when already once in the movie he sees that the projectile spikes go wherever the helmet laser sights are pointed?
-The bear was my biggest gripe with the CGI

-The others were antagonistic because she was trying to fill a role that women did not fill

-I mean, I think we all knew that going in, right? The same can be said for a lot of movies like this, IMO

-I had the same question, and this explains it a little better:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:21 am

Bear cgi was definitely rough, wonder if they would have cleaned that up with a theatrical release? That would probably be my biggest gripe along with some of the dialogue. Sometimes it felt like they were talking today rather than 1700s

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:56 am

The English "translation" doesn't bother me re: its modern-ness, since that only serves to reinforce that the English we're hearing is just for the viewer, and that the characters are speaking Comanche to each other. Now whether the whole thing should've been in Comanche is another thing, but having them speak in 1700s era English would only muddle the waters.

Movie was gorgeous and definitely deserved the big-screen treatment for that alone.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:59 am

I agree about the cinematography. Probably the best thing about it (that’s not meant as a backhanded compliment; the cinematography was legitimately wonderful)

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am

It's Hulu's biggest premiere ever. As much as I agree that only having the Comanche language version would've been better artistically, it would not have nearly as many views if it wasn't in English.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 am

The English "translation" doesn't bother me re: its modern-ness, since that only serves to reinforce that the English we're hearing is just for the viewer, and that the characters are speaking Comanche to each other. Now whether the whole thing should've been in Comanche is another thing, but having them speak in 1700s era English would only muddle the waters.

Movie was gorgeous and definitely deserved the big-screen treatment for that alone.
True. the modern didn't bother me, just sounded funny in a couple parts. I thought the movie was awesome. My kids liked it better than the first predator. Predator 2 got scrapped for family movie night because of that wild sex scene, but I'm looking forward to that soon.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am

Source of the post My kids liked it better than the first predator.
Kindly inform them that they're adopted.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 am

like I said, I understand completely why it was in English. But if I was a producer* on it, I would’ve put it in Comanche by default and then allow/heavily advertise an English dub

let’s compare it to another movie where non-anglophone characters speak English for movie reasons…Troy (idk why that one came first but I love Troy). Troy is pretty dialogue heavy (for good reason) and it makes sense for that much talking, you want your audience to be able to easily understand it. And for a blockbuster, it makes sense to appeal to a broad audience rather than be a slave to authenticity

Prey is an American Indian movie through and through. American Indian actors, setting, etc. and, unlike Troy, the dialogue is effectively just noise because all everyone cares about (or should care about) is Naru vs the Predator. Changing the dialogue to Comanche as the default viewing option might freak some people out who hate subtitles but I think you can get away with it and to me, I think that really enhances the movie. But I’m someone that loves watching non-anglophone movies so I am indifferent to the language any particular movie uses

having the French characters speak French to one another but then English to the Comanche was so jarringly annoying that it took me out

*note that this is one of the many reasons why I’m not a movie producer

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:18 am

Different times man, my daughter definitely liked the "girl power" aspect to Prey compared to the Hawkins ***** jokes and machismo of the first which I get haha
Last edited by eddy on Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 am

Different times man, my daughter definitely liked the "girl power" aspect to Prey compared to the ***** jokes and machismo of the first which I get haha
I feel like it’s gonna be hard to explain 80s action movies to those who didn’t grow up with them

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:20 am

Different times man, my daughter definitely liked the "girl power" aspect to Prey compared to the ***** jokes and machismo of the first which I get haha
I feel like it’s gonna be hard to explain 80s action movies to those who didn’t grow up with them
Well when it comes to family movie night, Commando is usually the first movie anyone asks for regardless if we watched it the night before

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:26 am

80's action movies were definitely a product of their time. They are still awesome, but I could see why a younger person especially a female would be more into prey than predator because of the strong female lead.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:27 am

Source of the post Prey is an American Indian movie through and through.
Written and directed by a Jewish dude from Philadelphia.
tongue in cheek, btw.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:29 am

Well when it comes to family movie night, Commando is usually the first movie anyone asks for regardless if we watched it the night before
that’s endearing

to me the barometer is what someone thinks of Running Man. it’s the most 80s action movie of 80s action movies (Commando is up there too but I grew up watching Running Man and have only seen Commando once)
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 am

I love Running Man. The book ending was better, though.

Pre-9/11, anyway.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:42 am

having the French characters speak French to one another but then English to the Comanche was so jarringly annoying that it took me out
That's just staying consistent with what the movie has established, that being "English = Commanche." That's illustrated in the very first two lines of the movie. The trappers speak to each other in French because Naru doesn't understand what they're saying, hence we don't. The only time she does is when the translator says in English he speaks many languages, even Comanche, which tells us he's speaking to her in Comanche. Again, I feel like that's fairly straightforward and don't see what the issue is.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 am

That's just staying consistent with what the movie has established, that being "English = Commanche." That's illustrated in the very first two lines of the movie. The trappers speak to each other in French because Naru doesn't understand what they're saying, hence we don't. The only time she does is when the translator says in English he speaks many languages, even Comanche, which tells us he's speaking to her in Comanche. Again, I feel like that's fairly straightforward and don't see what the issue is.
Exactly this.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:46 am

Exactly this.
Correct, my quip was a couple times when the brother and sister were talking, sounded more like two siblings today rather than back then. I should probably just stop, because it wasn't a big deal for me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:57 pm

also at this point I have no interest in any other Predator movies until they change the formula. They have to go subversive one of these times and let the Predators win

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:59 pm

I think it's best for the rest of us if you leave the franchise, too.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:01 pm

@tifosi77

And the Gray Man wasn't bad btw. A prequel and sequel have already been greenlit fwiw.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:02 pm

It was bad.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:02 pm

I think it's best for the rest of us if you leave the franchise, too.
Legit :lol: :lol: :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:06 pm

It was bad.
:cry:
I mean, it's not the Godfather, but it was mindless entertainment with two charismatic leads. And Ana De Armas kicking ass.