Police earning the hate

AuthorTony

Police earning the hate

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm

Lawsuit: Troopers used bulldozer to pursue man with 10 marijuana plants, killing him

https://www.wtae.com/article/lawsuit-ma ... e/26879024
So much :face: in that article. I love how the State Police brought a helicopter in to search for a guy who was growing 10 marijuana plants and who, apparently, many involved knew where he lived, worked, etc. Seems like an excellent use of taxpayer resources, even before they killed the guy.

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 am

I feel like Shyster recently got a lame speeding ticket, or something like that.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 am

Lawsuit: Troopers used bulldozer to pursue man with 10 marijuana plants, killing him

https://www.wtae.com/article/lawsuit-ma ... e/26879024
Read about this earlier. It's insane to me that police decided to use a bulldozer to plow through the forest to catch a guy that wasn't dangerous, but merely growing pot plants. Good lord.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 am

I saw a tweet thread the other day where a half a dozen plain clothes officers assaulted a 19 year old in NYC. He rode a delivery scooter to one of those mini-mart places to pick up stuff for the restaurant he worked at. The officers, assuming the scooter was stolen started circling the bike while he was in the store, a worker at the store who knew the kid, told him that people were messing with his bike. And then, somewhere in that interaction with the kid and the plain clothes cops, it ended up a bunch of cops beating the piss out of the kid.

Pavel Bure

Police earning the hate

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:02 am

Is it though?

I could make a thread and cherry pick videos of police doing good things.

Would it be a 'bad thread'?
Aren’t they expected to do good things?

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am

Is it though?

I'd prefer not to notice them at all either way.

Data shows that the actions depicted in the videos here are extreme outliers. I could spend a few minutes and also find some extreme outliers in the other direction. Exceptional behavior in either direction doesn't stand to characterize the general actions of a group.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am

Is it though?

I'd prefer not to notice them at all either way.

Data shows that the actions depicted in the videos here are extreme outliers. I could spend a few minutes and also find some extreme outliers in the other direction. Exceptional behavior in either direction doesn't stand to characterize the general actions of a group.

Extreme outliers in what sense?

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:16 am

In the sense that every police department in the country has numerous interactions with their citizenship every single day and a only a handful per, what, year(?) end up like these videos. They're not commonplace occurrences; they are the extreme exception. Some of these videos are 5-10 years old.

I'm not at all denying that there are systemic issues with law enforcement that need to be addressed. I'm not even saying this thread is 'bad.' But is it intellectually honest? Nahhhh.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 am

I mean like, here's my impression. The proportion of cops that engage in what would otherwise be assault is not any more or less when compared to the regular populace. And if it is, that's simply a product of the work. But the issue is that they have engineered the system so that they are never accountable for these acts. We are to believe that they shouldn't be held accountable because of the nature of the work and how that contributes to the occurrence of their conduct. But what this thread is intending to do I believe, is strip that context away and reflect the actual context, which would strip away the pretense that cops should be immune to accountability.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 am

While I agree on your point about lack of accountability, I don't think this thread is that nuanced. Given what I 'know' about Shyster he's simply attempting to characterize state actors as bad. In this case it happens to be cops. We could do a similar thread on the military. Or worse, Congress.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

In the sense that every police department in the country has numerous interactions with their citizenship every single day and a only a handful per, what, year(?) end up like these videos. They're not commonplace occurrences; they are the extreme exception. Some of these videos are 5-10 years old.

I'm not at all denying that there are systemic issues with law enforcement that need to be addressed. I'm not even saying this thread is 'bad.' But is it intellectually honest? Nahhhh.
:thumb:

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:27 am

While I agree on your point about lack of accountability, I don't think this thread is that nuanced. Given what I 'know' about Shyster he's simply attempting to characterize state actors as bad. In this case it happens to be cops. We could do a similar thread on the military. Or worse, Congress.
:thumb:

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 am

I don't believe congress would get immunity for murder like cops do. The military has jurisdiction issues. I think the impact of bad policing is more relevant to our everyday lives.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:31 am

Cops don't have immunity for murder. They're given wide discretion, and that discretion certainly needs more scrutiny (good thread!), but 'immunity' as a concept is a tough sell to me when I can see a cop on trial for murder from my office window right now.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 am

Right, immunity is the wrong word. But it is the exceptional situation where the cop faces anything like a trial for killing someone.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 am

I'm not sure how that supports your argument.
But ok.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 am

I assume he was rebutting your 'immunity' claim which you corrected while he was googling.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:01 am

I assume he was rebutting your 'immunity' claim which you corrected while he was googling.
That. And it's pretty much doing what this thread is doing. Googling outliers and making it the norm.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am

But it's just more instances of cops committing crimes.

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 am

Yep... Too many people follow the RESPECT AUTHORITY crap and think that just by not answering their questions he deserved it.

Yeah, but you already know that the vast majority of cops were just the bullies in high school that became cops to continue to be bullies and are literally driving around looking for low-threat situations to stick it to people that are generally minding their own business. Knowing that they are just looking for reasons to relive their glory days back in high school... why not just give them your ID and end the bullpoo before it even gets rolling? If you want to verbally smack them down and make then fell like the immature assclowns that they are, fine, but give them the ID so they have no reason to keep pushing the situation forward.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am

Yeah. See, now that's a fine exhibit of what I'm talking about. People like Jim looking for a reason to be offended and getting a rage boner over this kind of stuff.

MWB

Police earning the hate

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 am

I'm not even sure how this is a debatable point. Every occupation that would be considered for "the good of the people" has bad people. Society is made up of good people, bad people, and everyone in between. And they are spread among all jobs.

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah. See, now that's a fine exhibit of what I'm talking about. People like Jim looking for a reason to be offended and getting a rage boner over this kind of stuff.

Offended? No. It takes a lot to offend me. I do not need a safe space like some people. And if you think that what I said is a rage boner, you need to get out more.

I have had a decent amount of interactions with the police though. Never arrested or even officially "detained" but a lot of interactions; in professional situations, while out, and some with off-duty police in social situations. Some genuinely want to make the world a better place, but unfortunately far too many are pigs. And you can have 5 good cops at a situation, and 1 jackhole bully cop... and all that anyone is going to remember is the jackhole because he is going to be the loud one throwing his weight around while the other 5 wish that he would move to another city.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm

The thing with a lot of cops being former bullies, jocks, military dropouts, etc is very true, and I think a major contributing factor to most of the incidences of abuses of power.