Police earning the hate

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Former cop charged with sexually assaulting 5 teens
https://www.nj.com/news/2021/06/former- ... teens.html
A 52-year-old former police officer in Pennsylaniva who now lives along the Jersey Shore is charged with sexually assaulting five teenage boys, officials said.

James Carey was already facing 122 total counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of minors and official oppression for assaults on four victims when a fifth stepped forward last week, the Bucks County District Attorney said.

Carey, of the Cape May Court House section of Middle Township, was arrested in April following a lengthy investigation that alleges he sexually assaulted the boys between 1989 and 2009 while working as a D.A.R.E (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) officer.

“Carey ingratiated himself into the lives of minor children, in particular, those who were already facing challenges in their lives,” the Bucks County District Attorney said in a statement. “He used his position and authority to groom, not only the children, but their adult caregivers. The grooming tactics he used were pervasive, manipulative and calculated such that he not only lowered the minor’s guard but also attempted to provide an assurance that his crimes would go unreported and if reported, not believed.”

In the case of the fifth boy, Carey offered the teen a ride home days after catching him smoking marijuana outside a recreation center, authorities said. Carey then sexually assaulted the boy in the driveway of the teenager’s home, according to investigators.

Carey was employed as a police officer for Warminster Township, Pennsylvnia from 1989 to 2009. Before that, he briefly worked as a cop in North Wales and Warwick.

Carey is being arraigned on new charges Tuesday morning in Warminster, Pennsylvania. He is being held at the Bucks County jail on $250,000 cash bail.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:46 pm

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:38 am

nocera

Police earning the hate

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:40 am

Well he's just a law enforcement officer, how is he supposed to know the law?

skullman80

Police earning the hate

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:42 am

Good lord.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm

That video is fcked.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:36 pm

A PIT maneuver is a vehicular version of deadly force. It's no different that if he rolled down his window and started shooting at her. Does anyone think that would have been appropriate here? Of course not.

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 pm

More on PIT maneuvers:

Deadly force behind the wheel
As Daniels passed a cluster of townhouses, one of the officers performed a PIT maneuver, using his Dodge Charger to strike the right rear corner of the Hyundai, sending it spinning across a sidewalk. The car splintered a utility pole and rolled up a steep embankment, coming to a stop. Daniels sprinted into the townhouses, escaping police.

As police investigated, they found a shoe near the scene of the crash, which they suspected Daniels lost while fleeing, according to a local news report.

Five weeks later, a landscaper working in the area found the body of 41-year-old Marcus McCrary, who had been struck and killed by the out-of-control Hyundai. McCrary’s body, which was found hidden behind bushes, was missing its lower left leg, the landscaper told The Post.

Police later found the lower part of McCrary’s leg in a wheel well of the Hyundai in an impound lot.
That's some stout policing there, not realizing there was a human leg in the wreckage of the car.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 am

The more I watch that, the angrier I get.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Cops Tased and Beat Teens While Enforcing a Local Vaping Ban
https://reason.com/2021/06/14/ocean-cit ... ns-vaping/
On Saturday in Ocean City, Maryland, officers notified "a large group" that their vaping was in violation of a local ordinance that prohibits vaping and smoking except in designated areas. After walking away, cops noticed one of the same teens, Brian Everett Anderson, reengaging with his vape. "Officers approached the group again to further address the violation," reads a press release from the local government. "During the course of the interaction, the male refused to provide his proof of identification and became disorderly."

A viral video making the rounds Sunday appeared to cast some doubt on the idea that the situation merited such force. The clip shows a teen with his hands up, surrounded by Ocean City officers and public safety aides. He is then tased, falls to the ground, and is later hogtied and carried away.

Three other teens—Kamere Anthony Day, Jahtique Joseph John Lewis, and Khalil Dwayne Warren—were also arrested, the government notes, alleging that they, too, engaged in disorderly conduct and tried to disrupt the scene. Additional videos show a group of officers piling on top of one teen while a cop knees him repeatedly in the side.

"Our officers are permitted to use force, per their training, to overcome exhibited resistance," reads the statement from the government. "All uses of force go through a detailed review process. The uses of force from these arrests will go through a multi-level examination by the Assistant Patrol Commander, the Division Commander and then by the Office of Professional Standards."

But what officials in Ocean City appear to miss is that such a scene would not have been possible at all had it not been for the dumb rule they put in place. Legislators need to confront the fact that any law on the books has to be enforced with armed agents of the state.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:26 pm

The Mount Vernon Police Tapes: In Secretly Recorded Phone Calls, Officers Say Innocent People Were Framed
https://gothamist.com/news/mount-vernon ... ere-framed
In hours of secretly recorded telephone conversations, police officers in Mount Vernon, New York, reveal widespread corruption, brutality and other misconduct in the troubled Westchester County city just north of the Bronx.

Caught on tape by a whistleblower cop, the officers said they witnessed or took part in alarming acts of police misconduct, from framing and beating residents to collaborating with drug dealers, all as part of a culture of impunity within the department’s narcotics unit.

The Mount Vernon police tapes, obtained exclusively by Gothamist/WNYC, were recorded from 2017 to this year by Murashea Bovell, a 12-year veteran of the department who has been blowing the whistle on misconduct for years.

In 2014 and 2015, Bovell reported his colleagues’ alleged corruption and brutality in confidential complaints to the city and a lawsuit against the city, which was dismissed on procedural grounds. But he saw little change, so he began quietly recording his colleagues to substantiate his own claims.

“I need to have something tangible,” he told Gothamist/WNYC. “Something to prove that what I was saying is true, and wouldn’t fall on deaf ears if the time came.”

The tapes are just the latest in a series of public corruption scandals that have rocked the city in recent years. The police department itself has gone through at least five different commissioners since 2015. Bovell sued the city again last year, alleging retaliation for his activities.

In a statement, city spokesman Daniel Terry promised authorities would investigate the accusations thoroughly, but cautioned that there are two sides to every story.

“I am confident that the truth will come out, and I’d ask people to withhold judgment until it does,” he said. He said he could not comment further on a case in litigation.

The recordings also raise questions about the response by Westchester District Attorney Anthony Scarpino, a former FBI agent and judge who is a Mount Vernon native and began his legal career there.

Bovell turned over a batch of recordings to Scarpino’s office in February of 2019. But nine months later, after some initial signs of interest, a DA investigator confirmed that the agency had not moved forward with the investigation, according to Joseph Murray, Bovell’s attorney.

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Hmmmmm...... I'm kind of okay with public vapers getting beat up. (At least in concept.)

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:28 pm

Teen tased: Did state state trooper violate policy?
https://www.winknews.com/2021/06/22/tee ... te-policy/
The mother of a teenager who was tased by an [Florida Highway Patrol] trooper last week has hired an attorney to help fight the arrest she says happened because of racial profiling.

Sixteen-year-old Jack Rodeman was arrested by Trooper George Smyrnios on June 16 and is currently being held at the Juvenile Assessment Center for 21 days.

Jack was walking to his girlfriend’s home on Indian Laurel Way when he was followed by Smyrnios who, according to the arrest report, described Jack as a suspicious person.

Smyrnios followed Jack into his girlfriend’s backyard where he used a Taser on the teen as the teen texted his girlfriend to come outside.

The incident was caught on a surveillance camera. The whole encounter is now under an administrative review by the Florida Highway Patrol but a law enforcement expert who trains police across the state said after reviewing the video there was no reason for Smyrnios to fire his Taser.

Troopers are not allowed to deploy a Taser if the sole reason they are doing so is that someone is fleeing from them, the policy shows. By the time Smyrnios stunned Jack, he was just standing on his girlfriend’s back porch trying to get her to come outside.

FHP policy states: “The use of a CEW (conducted electrical weapon) is authorized and may be an appropriate response in the case of a sudden attack, or when ‘active resistance’ or greater is offered by a subject who is about to be taken into custody for any reason.”

Surveillance footage shows Jack was exhibiting passive resistance, which includes examples like “the subject refuses to move at the member’s direction” or “the subject refuses to take his hands out of his pockets or from behind his back,” according to the policy.

“The most egregious part to me is here’s a kid who was offering no active resistance but passive resistance by being on his phone and texting and because he failed to comply with your lawful order, you shot him with a Taser and he fell and hit his head on a brick,” said David J. Thomas, a professor of forensic studies at FGCU who is also a former police officer.

Smyrnios claims the teen wasn’t complying with his verbal commands.

But the policy doesn’t list verbal noncompliance as a reason to use a Taser.

Yeah, we all know why this cop fired his Taser...

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 am

Regarding that OCMD clip.

My colleague left for OCMD for the weekend yesterday. Hopefully things don't get crazy down there

Ad@m

Police earning the hate

Postby Ad@m » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Ohio police chief out after leaving 'Ku Klux Klan' note on Black officer's coat
Surveillance video from the Sheffield Lake Police Department in Ohio shows the longtime chief printing a note reading “Ku Klux Klan” and placing it on a Black officer's raincoat, according to the city's mayor.

Sheffield Lake Mayor Dennis Bring said he was made aware of the incident, which occurred last week, by the police union. Chief Anthony Campo was immediately placed on administrative leave pending a review of the video, Bring told NBC affiliate WKYC of Cleveland.

"I said, 'I don't want to even hear about it," Bring said, describing his conversation with Campo. "I said, 'You've already have admitted to it.' And I said, 'You've got 10 minutes to get out of this office.' I said, 'I want your keys, badge and that’s it. Get out.' "

Bring said he also met with the officer following the incident to apologize for Campo’s actions.

"It took us 10 minutes to even talk to each other because we were both very emotional," he said. "And I apologized to him. We talked about the situation and he told me a little bit more. I was just flabbergasted. There's no one word to explain how disgusting this is."

The footage, which was obtained by the news station, captured Campo standing at the department’s copier and placing the klan printout on the coat. The KKK was a secretive society organized in the South after the Civil War to assert white supremacy, often using violence.

Campo told WKYC in a phone interview that he retired shortly after being placed on leave. He added that what was meant to be part of an off-color joke is being “overblown” and he has great respect for the officer, whom he hired, according to the news station.

NBC News' efforts to reach Campo and the police union on Saturday were unsuccessful.

Officials in Sheffield Lake, a city about 25 miles west of Cleveland, have not released the name of the officer involved. According to Bring, the officer is declining to speak and has retained a lawyer for possible action.

Campo spent three decades on the police force and became chief eight years ago.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Law Enforcement Officer Openly Admits He's Playing Copyrighted Music To Prevent Citizen's Recording From Being Uploaded To YouTube
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210 ... tube.shtml
Law enforcement officers are no longer pretending they're such big fans of recorded music they can't help but start playing their favorite tracks while interacting with citizens who are recording them.

Earlier this year, police accountability activists noticed a new trend: officers were playing tracks by IP big hitters like Taylor Swift and the Beatles when being filmed, apparently in hopes of triggering copyright strikes that would prevent the videos from being uploaded, if not shut down these activists' accounts completely.

The officers never admitted this was the reason for the spontaneous tune playing. At least not until now. Sergeant D. Shelby of the Alameda County (CA) Sheriff's Department started playing a track by Taylor Swift while being recorded by members of the Anti Police-Terror Project. And he admitted this was exactly why he was playing this track.

Here's a description of what can be observed in the embedded video below, courtesy of Zoe Schiffer and Adi Robertson of The Verge.

A confrontation Tuesday between a police sergeant and member of the public didn’t start out unusually. James Burch, policy director of the Anti Police-Terror Project (APTP), was standing outside the Alameda Courthouse in Oakland, California when an officer approached him and asked him to move a banner. As the two argued, the sergeant noticed he was being filmed. Then, he pulled out his phone and started playing “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift — in an apparent play to exploit copyright takedowns and keep the video off social media.

Here's the recording:

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm

That's pretty smart

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Yeah, but it's also blatant interference with a Constitutional right. Every federal circuit court that has addressed the question has held that there is a First Amendment right to record public officials who are on the job in public, and the right to record includes the right to disseminate that recording. If you or I did something equivalent to interfere with the ability of the police to record, we'd be arrested for obstruction.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:41 pm

I wouldn't want the police to put me on YouTube. I'm going to jam to some Avril in public.

Ad@m

Police earning the hate

Postby Ad@m » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Illinois woman held down by police, forced to strip naked
“When they pulled me over, they didn’t really explain to me, they just pulled me out of my car,” Ariel Harrison said.

The McDonough County Sheriff’s Office in Illinois is facing fierce criticism after a 31-year-old Black mother of three was held down inside a jail cell and forcibly stripped naked in front of male officers.

Ariel Harrison, who is partially blind, had just left a liquor store and was driving around Macomb County on Oct. 26, 2019, when she was pulled over by police for allegedly driving recklessly. The officers accused her of driving under the influence, but Harrison insisted she had not been drinking. She was put into a squad car but was not handcuffed.

“When they pulled me over, they didn’t really explain to me, they just pulled me out of my car,” Harrison told VICE News.

Harrison said she pleaded with the officers to explain what she did wrong. She claims her alcohol level was never tested and she was tased multiple times before being transported to the McDonough County Jail.

Recently released video shows two corrections officers and a sheriff pointing a taser at her and stripping Harrison after she allegedly refused to undress. Per the report, Harrison continuously asked for privacy and expressed fears of being sexually assaulted.

“I had told her that it’s not right. That he wasn’t supposed to be there while I changed,” Harrison said about the female officer. “She told me, ‘Well, he’s here with me.’ Basically, she didn’t really care. I felt like she violated my rights.”

McDonough County Corrections officers said they removed Harrison’s clothes because she was uncooperative. Instead of giving her the privacy that she requested, the two officers removed her clothes. A third officer restrained her legs by kneeling on them. They left her naked in the cell before returning to give her a cloak to wear.

“That stuff happened so fast,” Harrison said of the incident. “When I watch the video of them doing that stuff to me, I’m in shock. It’s like I look at them and say ‘That couldn’t be me.’”

Harrison is now facing five to seven years in prison for charges including aggravated battery, driving under the influence, resisting a peace officer, and improper lane usage. The arrest caused her to lose custody of her kids (ages 6, 12, and 13). She reportedly hasn’t seen them in more than a year — since the night she went to jail.

“I’ve never done wrong. I’ve never messed with the law,” said Harrison, who relocated to Macomb from Chicago in 2015. “I came down here to Macomb to let my kids live and be free. But now my kids have been taken from me, and I have these cases against me.”

In a statement to VICE News, the Macomb Police Department makes clear that they’re in full support of the officers.

“The incident was documented by involved personnel. Additionally, the incident was further reviewed by Department Supervisory personnel and documented per Macomb Police Policy and Procedures,” the statement said. “The Macomb Police Department serves our community in a fair and unbiased manner as we report events objectively, impartially, and without bias.”

The video of Harrison’s jailhouse encounter was obtained by the Democratic Women of Mcdonough County (DWMC) via the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

“Ariel’s being given multiple, simultaneous, and even contradictory instructions as a disabled driver who is blind in her left eye,” DWMC founder Heather McMeekan told VICE News. “She’s being told, ‘Put it in park, open the door, unbuckle your seatbelt, give me your driver’s license, give me your vehicle registration.’ They literally give her just a few seconds.”

Harrison said the flurry of commands left her shocked and speechless.

“I was in shock mode, I guess. I didn’t know what to do,” she said. “I was still trying to process why I was being pulled over exactly when they snatched me up out of their car.”

“As a former paramedic and trained health educator, I can tell you that was not enough time for anybody to be able to process all those commands at once,” McMeekan said. “Even under the best conditions, let alone at night, when you’re already exhausted from taking care of kids all day, running errands, and then you’ve got a frightened person who you were just trying to help.”

Sarah Grady, a partner at Loevy & Loevy in Chicago and head of the law firm’s Prisoner Rights Project, said jail staff must comply with federal standards when conducting searches of individuals.

“They shouldn’t be done in view of, or by members of, the opposite gender, unless there is an exigency. There has to be a justification for why there would be a cross-gender strip search because there is a recognition of the fact that cross-gender strip searches are particularly intrusive, they’re particularly harmful, especially for women,” Grady told VICE News.

The DWMC started a petition calling for the charges against Harrison to be dropped. The group also launched a GoFundMe to help cover Harrison’s legal costs.

“What Ariel was given was brutality and no apparent adaptations or understanding that she was blind in her left eye,” McMeekan said. “Why are they assuming she’s a hardened criminal? Why are they assuming they have to take that heavy-handedness with her? Why the urgency in this interaction with a petite disabled woman?”

According to reports, a judge found her guilty of the charges during a bench trial. Harrison will be sentenced on Aug. 10.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:29 pm

Brooklyn "entrepreneur" Jeremiah Reichberg sells “preferred outcomes to encounters with law enforcement,” such as police escorts to cut through traffic, processing and approval of gun licenses (which are nearly impossible to get), a NYPD police boat to give rides at a barbecue he hosted, and a NYPD helicopter flyover of a "cocktail cruise" organized by Reichberg. He eventually gets arrested, and in this opinion the Second Circuit upholds his conviction. In order to get the benefits, he provides lavish gifts to high-ranking NYPD officers, including trips to Vegas on a private jet, hotel stays with high-end prostitutes, jewelry, and meals at expensive restaurants. The list of bribed cops includes a Chief, a Deputy Chief, and a Lieutenant.

https://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/ ... /3/hilite/

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm

Body camera footage released July 22 by Michael Clark's attorney shows Idaho Springs, CO police Officer Nicholas Hanning use a Taser on the 75-year-old during a May 30, 2021, incident. Hanning was fired from the department and faces criminal charges for “third-degree assault on an at-risk adult.” When the police knocked on the door, they did not identify themselves as police officers. Clark opened the door holding a "shark tooth knife," but he turned and put it down when he realized it was the police. When he started to explain, officer Hanning tased him with no warning. Clark was knocked unconscious, suffered a stroke, and would spend weeks in a hospital before being moved to a nursing home. After Clark was tased, Hanning drags him into the hallway, kneels on his neck, and handcuffs him. Hanning then grabs the knife that Clark had brought to the door but placed on a shelf inside the apartment when asked to by police, and Hanning then places the knife in the hallway.

Note that the immediate radio call by Hanning's partner was "Party came out with a machete," and then Hanning moved the knife out into the hall and threw it on the floor. But for the body-cam video, the official police position would no doubt be "He charged us with a knife, and after we tased him it landed right over there." Note also that Clark was never charged with striking his neighbor, so it's likely her story that Clark punched her was found to be false. The female complainant has been reported to have multiple previous offenses, including lying to police.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Philadelphia Police Officer Tyree Burnett Charged After Allegedly Deleting Video From Man’s Cellphone During Arrest
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... est-video/
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A Philadelphia police officer at the center of a lawsuit and accused of deleting arrest videos off a cellphone now faces charges, according to the police department.

The Philadelphia Police Department confirms Tyree Burnett is charged with attempted tampering, attempted official oppression and obstruction of justice.

In a release, the Philadelphia Police Department said Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw has suspected Burnett for 30 days. She intends “to dismiss after at the end of the 30 days,” per the statement.

Giddings and his legal team planned to file a lawsuit against Burnett for the actions, which were caught on police body camera video. The incident happened back in March.

Lennon Edwards, Giddings’ other attorney, told Eyewitness News in June, “There’s dishonesty happening here.”

Edwards says Giddings was approached by the officer at a gas station and was told to get out of the car. According to Edwards, Giddings was given no reason for why and that is when he began recording.

Giddings dropped his phone getting into the police car, which is when Burnett grabbed it.

He added, “There’s tampering with evidence here and it kills. It harms. It harms the community.”

The police department did not comment on the arrest itself. Burnett was a four-year veteran of the department.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:18 pm

NYPD Judge Finds Two Officers Guilty Of Statutory Rape Of 15-Year-Old
https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-judge-f ... 5-year-old
The NYPD has fired two officers after a department trial found them guilty of the statutory rape of a 15-year-old girl.

The officers — Sanad Musallam, 34, and Yaser Shohatee, 41 — committed "shocking professional and sexual misconduct" by abusing a vulnerable young girl whose family had sought help from the department, according to internal NYPD disciplinary documents made public this week.

Between 2015 and 2016, both officers carried out months-long relationships with the minor, which included statutory rape and hundreds of text messages that featured sexually explicit photographs, Assistant Deputy Commissioner of Trials Paul Gamble wrote in his ruling.

While the allegations were first reported to the NYPD and the Brooklyn District Attorney in 2017, the officers remained on the department payroll until an internal trial concluded this past March.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Texas Cops Realized They Raided the Wrong House. They Kept Searching Anyway.
https://reason.com/2021/07/30/qualified ... cil-basco/
In November of 2018, Lucil Basco of Bexar County, Texas, awoke to a thunderous boom, followed by a parade of eight cops barging through her front door. She was handcuffed, and, with her screaming child, removed from the premises. The officers soon realized they made a mistake: They had the wrong house, based on incorrect information from a confidential informant. Yet they continued the operation anyway.

Three of those Bexar County sheriff's deputies—James Hancock, Jacob Rodriguez, and Bryan Smith—are not entitled to qualified immunity, the legal doctrine that allows state actors to violate your rights if the precise scenario in question has not yet been ruled unconstitutional in a prior court precedent. They can thus be sued for it, a federal court said this week.

But the case is a crash course in the levers available to the monopoly on state power—from the drug war, to surveillance, to no-knock entries, to botched warrants—and the importance of government accountability in such circumstances.

The search on Basco's home was a drug raid planned in response to an anonymous source's alleged claim that he or she had reason to believe whoever lived at the residence possessed methamphetamine. In the warrant application, Deputy Rodriguez wrote that the tip came from a "credible and reliable person" and that he had verified it via "personal investigation and/or through discussions with other law enforcement personnel."

It appears the informant was not reliable—something that the source does not even dispute. Under oath, he or she alleges that, along with Deputy Smith, the two zeroed in on the house by process of elimination, and that it was never an unequivocal declaration.

The informant did, however, confirm a photo of the "guard"—the person he or she knew to be occupying the meth house. Rodriguez and Smith's investigation found no connection between Basco and the guard, yet they proceeded anyway. "Beyond the [informant's] say-so," says Judge Jason Pulliam of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, "the deputies did scant investigation to confirm the assertion that [Basco's address] was a stash house."

Sergeant Hancock then "reviewed the affidavit for [the] search warrant, that everything in the affidavit was true, and that he drove by the house and provided a description of the house for the search warrant," notes Pulliam.

Deputies arrived and broke into Basco's home that evening, despite there being no reason to believe such force was required. Though it appears they did not do the requisite research to confirm she was involved in the drug trade, they did conduct plenty of surveillance: "Officers conducted a traffic stop of Mrs. Basco shortly before the raid during which they searched her vehicle and learned that she is a nurse," writes Pulliam. "And officers were surveilling the home both when Mrs. Basco left to collect her child and when she returned with him."

The officers and the informant disagree about the level of certainty conveyed during the "investigation." But there are a few things that are past debate: "Here, it is undisputed that law enforcement had the wrong address," notes the court. "The video evidence…shows that law enforcement remained in the home after the sweep was concluded….That the home was damaged during the raid is [also] undisputed." Basco was handcuffed, and, according to the video evidence presented to the court, those cuffs were not removed immediately after the cops realized they had targeted an innocent woman.