Police earning the hate

willeyeam

Police earning the hate

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 am

The cop wasn't wrong for being skeptical of the guy but how that immediately escalates to shooting him 7 times is pretty bad imo

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 am

Bingo ^^^

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:53 am

I don't know what context could possibly exist that would prompt a defense for that officer's decision.
The shooting should never have happened. It happened due to terrible training, a failure to end the situation before it got to that point, etc. The officer should probably be fired at a minimum for letting the guy get back to the car in the first place.

I just think it's ridiculously naive and idealistic for someone to wonder "That guy's cousin told the cop he was just trying to break up a fight, why didn't they just let him go into his vehicle unimpeded even as he repeatedly refused to follow simple, direct orders?"

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am

Odd hill to die on, the outcome was disgusting and don't care about what might have possibly preceded that video.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 am

Well, that's not particularly honest either. Just on the other side of the scale.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

But again, why would they be tasing him if he was breaking up the dispute?

It sounds like the cops already had their minds made up as to who was the aggressor in this situation even with witnesses trying to tell them otherwise.
:lol: :lol:

Dude, I know you hate the police but come on.

THEY DO NOT KNOW THAT HE WAS BREAKING UP THE DISPUTE. FRIENDLY WITNESSES ARE KNOWN TO LIE.

If you were just an innocent bystander that broke up a fight...let's put yourself in those shoes. The police are called for a domestic call, they come out. Again, YOU (the innocent bystander)..what would you do? Would you just stand there and talk to the cops about what happened? Or would you immediately start ignoring them, ignore their follow up orders to not move, and make a bee line for your car? That is literally the stupidest thing someone can do...you are asking for death by cop in that scenario because there have been way too many instances of people grabbing guns out of their car and shooting. It happens all the time.

It amazes me that you are so readily accepting the BLM version of this incident at face value. I have been on record countless times in this thread criticizing police shootings, brutality, etc., so I am hardly a thin blue line guy. But the only things the cops did wrong in this situation was tase him before he was close to getting in his car.
:fist:

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:31 am

You are letting your bias against law enforcement in general color your view of this.

Made me chuckle...

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 am

Well, that's not particularly honest either. Just on the other side of the scale.
Agree.

IMO, there is fault on both sides as to how it got to this situation. There are numerous instances where the cop ends up dead in that situation as well that no one likes to talk about because "all cops are bad".

But at the same time, the cops shouldn't have let it get to that. As he was rounding the vehicle, they should have taken him down and cuffed him. And they should be punished and held accountable for that.

It's bad, but I also don't think this is a full blown "cop shot a black guy because he's black" situation. There is a lot more to the story. And yes, what happened prior to the video is definitely a big part of that.

CBear3

Police earning the hate

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 am

Is the kids' welfare in danger?
Does the officer see the person with a weapon?

If the answer to both of these is no, I don't care if he gets in and drives away. I've never seen somebody sentenced to death for resisting arrest or assaulting a police officer.

bhflyhigh

Police earning the hate

Postby bhflyhigh » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 am

Exactly CBear. The bar for a cop to shoot anyone is ridiculously low. Sure he could have been getting a gun but maybe he was getting a phone, drink of water, identification... a million other things. Maybe he was just going to drive away. I totally understand that in the USA today walking away from the cops is a possible death sentence. It's just how it is right now. But that doesn't make it right.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am

Exactly CBear. The bar for a cop to shoot anyone is ridiculously low. Sure he could have been getting a gun but maybe he was getting a phone, drink of water, identification... a million other things. Maybe he was just going to drive away. I totally understand that in the USA today walking away from the cops is a possible death sentence. It's just how it is right now. But that doesn't make it right.
Damn. Just let everyone drive away wow being questioned or arrested by the police.

Gaucho

Police earning the hate

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:00 pm

You get his plates, get a warrant, and serve the warrant at his residence if he is truly committing a crime.

No one gets shot.

What you don't do is grab his shirt and shoot him in the back 7 times.

I mean, how hard is it to not do that?
Last edited by MR25 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Police earning the hate

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Not sure if serious

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:13 pm

I don't think they were worried about him driving away. They were worried about him reaching into his car and pulling out a weapon. That's the whole reason why they were telling him to not move and to stop moving towards the vehicle.

CBear3

Police earning the hate

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Damn. Just let everyone drive away wow being questioned or arrested by the police.
I've got no problem restraining him with the three officers that were present. You missed your chance to prevent him from driving away when he walked to the driver's side of the car and failed to stop him.

In this case, they better hope the guy pulls through. Because they didn't get a chance to question him or arrest him if he dies.

CBear3

Police earning the hate

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 pm

I don't think they were worried about him driving away. They were worried about him reaching into his car and pulling out a weapon. That's the whole reason why they were telling him to not move and to stop moving towards the vehicle.
Right, and if the officer sees him reach for a gun, then its justified.
If it's just I thought he might be, or I was afraid he would, it's not.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:57 pm

You get his plates, get a warrant, and serve the warrant at his residence if he is truly committing a crime.

No one gets shot.

If the world was full of butterflies and sparkles, sure.

They were going to a domestic violence call. They let the guy drive off with the kids, he goes home, gets a gun, holes up with the kids and makes the situation 10Xs worse as well as putting the kids in danger is another option that could realistically happen and that they are trying to prevent.

We don't know what is going on in people's mind.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm

I've got no problem restraining him with the three officers that were present. You missed your chance to prevent him from driving away when he walked to the driver's side of the car and failed to stop him.

In this case, they better hope the guy pulls through. Because they didn't get a chance to question him or arrest him if he dies.
I can agree with this. Where the cops messed up was preventing him getting there in the first place. And they should be held accountable for that. That is bad policing.

I was more responding to the "just let them drive away" crowd.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:59 pm

No one gets shot.

If the world was full of butterflies and sparkles, sure.

They were going to a domestic violence call. They let the guy drive off with the kids, he goes home, gets a gun, holes up with the kids and makes the situation 10Xs worse as well as putting the kids in danger is another option that could realistically happen and that they are trying to prevent.

We don't know what is going on in people's mind.

The man they shot was not one of the parties involved in the dispute, which was between two women. He was there trying to break up the fight.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:02 pm

The man they shot was not one of the parties involved in the dispute, which was between two women. He was there trying to break up the fight.
They don't know that at the time. It's so easy when you have hindsight.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Still shocked, after all these years, seeing people think that shooting someone is a rational response to resisting arrest.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Still shocked, after all these years, seeing people think that shooting someone is a rational response to resisting arrest.
:face:

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:09 pm

:face:
You are saying that shooting the guy was warranted because they couldn't let him drive away? Am i misunderstanding the argument?

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:11 pm

They don't know that at the time. It's so easy when you have hindsight.

Then do some **** investigative work instead of coming in guns blazing.