PFiDC

Police earning the hate

Postby PFiDC » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 am

Terrible way to start a page...

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Nice:

Georgia state trooper charged with murder after fatally shooting man in traffic stop chase

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... er-fatally
A Georgia state trooper was arrested and charged with murder on Friday after he fatally shot a 60-year-old man who allegedly tried to flee during a rural traffic stop.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) announced that Jacob Gordon Thompson, 27, was booked on felony murder and aggravated assault charges stemming from the Aug. 7 death of Julian Edward Roosevelt Lewis.

An attorney for Lewis’s family told The Associated Press that Thompson initiated the traffic stop in Screven County over a burned-out tail light, shooting Lewis immediately after the trooper had forced his car into a ditch.

“Mr. Lewis never got out of the vehicle and the investigation will show that, mere seconds after the crash, he was shot to death, shot in the face and killed,” attorney Francys Johnson said.

Johnson told the outlet that the GBI disclosed that information to the family, but the agency did not include those details in its statement on the trooper’s arrest.

The Rev. James Woodall, president of the Georgia NAACP, decried the incident as a case of racial profiling and the latest example of a white law enforcement officer killing a Black man.

“No one should have to bury a loved one simply because of a busted tail light,” Woodall said, saying that the trooper’s arrest was not cause for celebration. “We are not necessarily happy right now. Yes, the man was arrested, but we’re done dying."

The initial press release following the incident states that Lewis’s car did not stop and that Thompson initiated a brief chase down several county roads.

The agency said the trooper initiated a precision intervention technique (PIT) that made the car come to a stop in a ditch.

The GBI did not provide any other details about the altercation, stating only that the trooper fired one round that struck Lewis, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The trooper was not injured.

more ...
Tbe charge is nice, not the shoot in the face for no reason murdery part.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 am

Pittsburgh Police grabbed a man from a protest via unmarked van. Similar story to how DHS agents were grabbing Portland protesters.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 am

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:30 pm

How many of these people that care so much (protesters) have signed up to try to join the police, or gotten into actual politics, or signed up for law school to become lawyers/judges... to make actual change from inside the problem area? None? Why? Because that would mean taking actual responsibility? I see. But can I just wear a shirt that says "Yadda yadda yadda... when you could just be quiet?" Then I'm doing my part, right?

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 pm

What does that have to do with a squad of AR-armed policemen rolling up in an unmarked van and effectively kidnapping a protester?

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Kidnapping... lol

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm

"Effectively", only because I really don't have a good term for "pulling up to someone in an unmarked vehicle and forcibly removing them from the street".

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:32 pm

Pig cops do enough actual evil, there is no need to try to make something out of nothing.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Pig cops do enough actual evil, there is no need to try to make something out of nothing.
:thumb:

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:35 pm

So cops pulling up in an unmarked car and grabbing someone off the street is... fine?

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:32 pm

So cops pulling up in an unmarked car and grabbing someone off the street is... fine?
You got that from 5 seconds of video, after the kidnapped person was already in the van? My favorite part is the guy yelling "who are you?" as the van drives off.

And actually, it worked. They arrested the guy that they wanted and literally no one got hurt. And for a kidnapping victim he seemed to be okay and able to twit rather quickly.

Speaking of twits... that Savvy guy... wow.

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:46 pm

:scared:

:thumbdown:

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:10 pm

What's the connection between 1A and criminal trespass?

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:06 pm

If he was trespassing and refused to leave, then the arrest for trespass would be appropriate, but that doesn't justify the "f***ing freedom of speech" line. People have rights that the police are required to respect. Also, given the attitude of the officer in the video, I'm not going to take his word for it that the person in question was actually trespassing.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Okay. I mean, that's a fine opinion. Sure.

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Everything about that video seems staged

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 pm

Video would likely not have come out had the officer in question not sued the Raptors president for the "injuries" he caused ("injuries" because the Raptors prez only shoved him once, and he stayed on his feet, per the video).

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Most staggering thing here is that the deputy makes $224k a year.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 pm

Agreed. The cop being a liar and a disability cheat is sadly not surprising at all. And why is someone who has been convicted of insurance fraud still able to be employed as a law-enforcement officer?

This also reinforces something else. Based on a multitude of videos I've seen of police behavior, many cops seem to be under the impression that they have the authority to put hands on anyone, for any reason, at any time. I can't count the number of times I've seen cops grab, push, or shove people. If a non-cop did that to a cop, however, their ass would be on the ground and they'd be looking at assault charges in a heartbeat.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Cop Who Allegedly Kneed a Subdued Suspect in the Eye '20 to 30 Times' Gets Qualified Immunity
https://reason.com/2020/08/19/qualified ... f-appeals/
A police officer who allegedly kneed a suspect 20 to 30 times in the eye after the man had been restrained is entitled to qualified immunity and thus cannot be sued over the incident, a federal court confirmed Monday.

Charles McManemy, who law enforcement suspected was making a drug delivery, claims that Deputy Bruce Tierney of Iowa's Butler County Sheriff's Office violated his Fourth Amendment rights by using excessive force after McManemy had surrendered with at least four cops already on top of him. Following the incident, McManemy says he suffered lasting damage in his eye with increased light sensitivity and "floaters." But while a majority of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit held that Tierney did indeed violate McManemy's rights, his suit "fails for a different reason: the absence of a clearly established right."

"McManemy must point to a case that 'squarely governs the specific facts at issue'" to prevail in withholding qualified immunity from Tierney, writes Circuit Judge David R. Stras. Such is the standard required by the legal doctrine, which shields public officials from civil liability: if a plaintiff cannot point to a near-identical scenario of police misconduct that has already been litigated and condemned in pre-existing case law, they may not sue the officer or officers who harmed them—even when the court finds the conduct in question violated their rights.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:07 pm

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 am

This is so fcked. Do all of these lilliputians really have such a horrible fear of dogs?