JRR Tolkien Super Duper Mega Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:27 pm

The original LOTR trilogy - in EE form - remains the crowning achievement of cinema imo. Filming 3 epics of that scope simultaneously, inventing new technologies to make it happen, remaining as faithful to the original text as they could.... it's just so amazing.

Yarns!
So one of my good friends that I ran with back in the day was the creative director at New Line home video at the time; the first thing she worked on was the EPK for the DVD release of Se7en, which they sent out to the media in a plain brown box with tufts of blonde hair sticking out. The artwork/design/packaging for the LOTR EE DVDs was 100% her conception. Like, she was the one who personally pitched getting Alan Lee to do exclusive pencil sketches for the inside of the DVDs. (He may have submitted about ten or so other sketches that were unused, the whereabouts of which remain........... well......... I'll just say I made a valiant but unsuccessful attempt at liberating a scroll containing an unknown number of them in 2001) I was part of a group of like half a dozen or so of her friends who were her 'technical consultants' for the trilogy.... we were largely responsible for the inclusion of the maps in the EE set, because my friend's boss didn't see the value of including them, and we were all like "do you realize that Chris Tolkien drew the Maps for the books? That John Ronald plotted the books around the geography??? The Maps are a character!" blah blah blah.... we made such a stink that the exec eventually saw the light, and so the little fold out map that comes with the DVD/BluRay in the EE is there in part owing to yours truly. We were supposed to get credited as advisors for the EE discs, but then Peter Jackson promised to give credits to all of the members of TORN and so my little group of nerds got bumped.

Over the course of several moves of house they have been battered and broken, but as recompense for being excluded from the credits of the EE DVDs, my friend gave me the final production samples of the Argonath bookends that were included with the FOTR release. They were one-of-a-kind at the time, and all the more so today because the hands and heads have been knocked off over the years.

When Brett McKenzie and Jemaine Clement first came to the US to do a showcase (for Fox TV) as Flight Of The Conchords, I got to go see them at a small theater (30-ish people), which was the first time I heard the song Albi The Racist Dragon. After, we took them out to the Derby in Los Feliz and spent the night drinking and talking about music and New Zealand while listening to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. They were almost painfully shy and quiet, but the friend they brought with them to be their sort of road manager was very boisterous and a total hoot in his denim jacket. They stayed at a hotel on Highland down the street from the Hollywood Bowl, and when we took them home the three of them were crammed into the back of my friend's 4Runner, Brett in the middle.

Also, there is a photo of a drunken me (which I do not have a digital copy of) with Sala Baker (the stuntie in Suaron's armor during the prologue of FOTR) on New Year's Eve at a hotel in Santa Monica waving a bottle of vodka around as if that's just what you do.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:29 pm

And not gonna lie...... still kinda amazed they remastered the VFX. That's amazing.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:45 pm

The original LOTR trilogy - in EE form - remains the crowning achievement of cinema imo. Filming 3 epics of that scope simultaneously, inventing new technologies to make it happen, remaining as faithful to the original text as they could.... it's just so amazing.

Yarns!
So one of my good friends that I ran with back in the day was the creative director at New Line home video at the time; the first thing she worked on was the EPK for the DVD release of Se7en, which they sent out to the media in a plain brown box with tufts of blonde hair sticking out. The artwork/design/packaging for the LOTR EE DVDs was 100% her conception. Like, she was the one who personally pitched getting Alan Lee to do exclusive pencil sketches for the inside of the DVDs. (He may have submitted about ten or so other sketches that were unused, the whereabouts of which remain........... well......... I'll just say I made a valiant but unsuccessful attempt at liberating a scroll containing an unknown number of them in 2001) I was part of a group of like half a dozen or so of her friends who were her 'technical consultants' for the trilogy.... we were largely responsible for the inclusion of the maps in the EE set, because my friend's boss didn't see the value of including them, and we were all like "do you realize that Chris Tolkien drew the Maps for the books? That John Ronald plotted the books around the geography??? The Maps are a character!" blah blah blah.... we made such a stink that the exec eventually saw the light, and so the little fold out map that comes with the DVD/BluRay in the EE is there in part owing to yours truly. We were supposed to get credited as advisors for the EE discs, but then Peter Jackson promised to give credits to all of the members of TORN and so my little group of nerds got bumped.

Over the course of several moves of house they have been battered and broken, but as recompense for being excluded from the credits of the EE DVDs, my friend gave me the final production samples of the Argonath bookends that were included with the FOTR release. They were one-of-a-kind at the time, and all the more so today because the hands and heads have been knocked off over the years.

When Brett McKenzie and Jemaine Clement first came to the US to do a showcase (for Fox TV) as Flight Of The Conchords, I got to go see them at a small theater (30-ish people), which was the first time I heard the song Albi The Racist Dragon. After, we took them out to the Derby in Los Feliz and spent the night drinking and talking about music and New Zealand while listening to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. They were almost painfully shy and quiet, but the friend they brought with them to be their sort of road manager was very boisterous and a total hoot in his denim jacket. They stayed at a hotel on Highland down the street from the Hollywood Bowl, and when we took them home the three of them were crammed into the back of my friend's 4Runner, Brett in the middle.

Also, there is a photo of a drunken me (which I do not have a digital copy of) with Sala Baker (the stuntie in Suaron's armor during the prologue of FOTR) on New Year's Eve at a hotel in Santa Monica waving a bottle of vodka around as if that's just what you do.
That is terrific! Thanks for sharing. I was so fired up from finishing the trilogy last night that I may or may not have bought a 10" glass gandalf pipe for my own personal old tobey...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:42 pm

You can definitely see the advantage of remastering the fx in 4k, if they didn't do that, it would have looked so bizarre. They did this the right way.
Awesome. Man I can't wait to watch this with my daughter and eventually son. More than any other movies.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:22 am

Plot for the new minimum 5 season with 8-10 episodes each season show. I'm sure you guys can fill in the dots here, what are we dealing with?

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 pm

I'm really excited to see the depiction of Númenor.

For as significant as the Second Age was, Tolkien himself wrote precious little about the time. It covers, in part: the rise of Sauron and construction of Barad-dûr; the forging of the Rings of Power and the One Ring; the rise and fall of Númenor, and the exodus of the Faithful (Dúnedain) to Middle-earth and their establishment of the realms of Arnor and Gondor; the Changing of the World and the separation of the Undying Lands away from Arda; the birth (?) of the Nazgûl; Shelob moving to the pass of Cirith Ungol; the Last Alliance. There's an awful lot of material to explore.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:38 am

Here's the official 4K remaster poster.
It's pretty ****, really. The important news is that the 4K re-release will be in IMAX theaters starting Feb 5. I don't think Peter Jackson realizes the rest of the world isn't New Zealand and we're still in the middle of a pandemic. I'd love to see this but not going to happen now.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:58 am

Good read on how the movies came to be

https://www.polygon.com/lord-of-the-rin ... -weinstein

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 pm

The story of Jackson's meeting with Bob Shaye at New Line is one of my favorite moments in the BTS stuff on FOTR. "Why are you pitching this as 2 movies? This is clearly 3 films."

*hoooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaay*

Also, it is one of the great piss-me-offs of film history that Harvey goddamn Weinstein got an EP credit (and points) on these movies.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:05 pm

Also, I have been going down some serious Tolkien rabbit holes on YouTube the last week or so.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Also, I have been going down some serious Tolkien rabbit holes on YouTube the last week or so.
I am probably going to hold off because I already have about 5,000 pages of books I still need to read from my previous Amazon binge, but really want to read this:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Ha, one of the videos I watched recently was an exploration of the friendship between the deeply devout Catholic John Ronald and the atheist Clive. Their most famous works were sort of Opposite Day writings for them: Middle-earth is basically a paganist world, and Narnia is essentially an alternate universe Jesus story.

Here's a thought: Why don't I just share the bloody video.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:46 pm

I am probably going to hold off because I already have about 5,000 pages of books I still need to read from my previous Amazon binge, but really want to read this:

Cool, was just talking to family about them both this morning. Has anyone seen the recent Tolkien movie?

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:19 am

Enjoy this lost Russian production that was recently found

https://www.newsweek.com/lord-rings-tol ... be-1580368

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Woah! I never knew that existed. Perhaps it should have stayed that way. lol

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Amazon Studios' The Lord of the Rings television show is going to cost all the gold in the Lonely Mountain.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Amazon will spend roughly NZ$650 million – $465 million in U.S. dollars – for just the first season of the show.

That's far above previous reported estimates that pegged the fantasy drama as costing an already record-breaking $500 million for multiple seasons of the show.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... one-season

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 pm

Please be good, please be good...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 pm

Much of that is going to be things like wardrobe and props and sets that will be used in multiple seasons. So that first season number is naturally going to be inflated a bit.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Lord of the Rings’ uncredited Gimli double did the work, and has the tattoo to prove it
https://www.polygon.com/lord-of-the-rin ... hip-tattoo
His time on set was not without incident. Just last month, Beattie got his third knee reconstruction surgery, a consequence of having blown both knees while filming the movies. “The surgeon was asking me how I got those injuries, and I was like, ‘Well, I was battling Uruk-hai at Helm’s Deep,’” Beattie says

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:42 am

Lord of the Rings’ uncredited Gimli double did the work, and has the tattoo to prove it
https://www.polygon.com/lord-of-the-rin ... hip-tattoo
His time on set was not without incident. Just last month, Beattie got his third knee reconstruction surgery, a consequence of having blown both knees while filming the movies. “The surgeon was asking me how I got those injuries, and I was like, ‘Well, I was battling Uruk-hai at Helm’s Deep,’” Beattie says
This is a fun read. I love that the other established actors encouraged him throughout.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 am

But a week later, he says, he was told that he actually couldn’t be given the screen credit, due to “movie politics’’ and “concerns about preserving the illusion that is Gimli.”
Mission accomplished because I had no idea that JRD was basically never Gimli. What bullshit.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:30 am

But a week later, he says, he was told that he actually couldn’t be given the screen credit, due to “movie politics’’ and “concerns about preserving the illusion that is Gimli.”
Mission accomplished because I had no idea that JRD was basically never Gimli. What bullshit.
I know that JRD **** hated the makeup and had allergic reactions throughout shooting so this doesn't really surprise me much. What is totally stupid is "preserving the illusion that is Gimli." WTF does that mean? Nobody thinks Gimli is a real person.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Yeah I didn't figure JRD was doing scenes like the dwarf toss but had no idea just how much the other guy was in it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 am

Same with all the hobbits, their scales doubles are in pretty much all the medium and wide shots, but anywhere there's a character interaction they went forced perspective with the actors. I think Merry or Pippin's scale double was actually a Thai woman.