JRR Tolkien Super Duper Mega Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 pm

You're always gone, so....

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 pm

I know few people care, but, as best as I can remember, relationships/powers in The Wars of Beleriand included:

- Turin and Glaurung: this is the only one I remember. If Glaurung attempted to kill Turin, both would die.
- Finrod and Barahir
- Beren and Luthien

- Morgoth's special power to CAPTURE a seer was extraordinary. Too bad it didn't happen.
- I don't recall Thingol's special power.

And finally, Maedhros could form the Union of Maedhros if only a certain number of Noldorin elves remained and the Enemy was still around. The Union was communication via PM of the House of Fëanor and the House of Fingolfin. Didn't happen (largely 'cause of the colors ...)

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 pm

@redwill, I bought the book because of how awesome the game was.
That may be the coolest thing anyone has ever said to me on these boards. Thank you, SDD.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Are we doing quotes in this thread? Cause there are so many great ones.

“Thus he came alone to Angband’s gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.”

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 pm

"Tolkien's mythology, begun sometime around 1913 and still not completely finished—despite the work of father and son—reflects all of our anxieties and desires in the modern and postmodern worlds."
https://t.co/n1KXh7aidp

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Are we doing quotes in this thread?
One of my favorites, which I quoted in my Warz game:

Beren before Thingol over the issue of the fair Luthien:
Then Beren looking up beheld the eyes of Luthien, and his glance went also to the face of Melian and it seemed to him that words were put into his mouth. Fear left him, and the pride of the eldest house of Men returned to him; and he said, "My fate, O King, led me hither, through perils such as few even of the Elves would dare. And here I have found what I sought not indeed, but finding I would possess for ever. For it is above all gold and silver, and beyond all jewels. Neither rock, nor steel, nor the fires of Morgoth, nor
all the powers of the Elf-kingdoms, shall keep from me the treasure that I desire. For Luthien your daughter is the fairest of all the Children of the World."

Then silence fell upon the hall, for those that stood there were astounded and afraid, and they thought that Beren would be slain. But Thingol spoke slowly, saying: "Death you have earned with these words; and death you should find suddenly, had I not sworn an oath in haste; of which I repent, baseborn mortal, who in the realm of Morgoth has learnt to creep in secret as his spies and thralls."

Then Beren answered: "Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you of baseborn, nor spy, nor thrall. By the ring of Felagund, that he gave to Barahir my father on the battle field of the North, my house has not earned such names from any Elf, be he king or no."

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Another reason I like Beren is that he became a fruitarian:
Thereafter for four years more Beren wandered still upon Dorthonion, a solitary outlaw; but he became the friend of birds and beasts, and they aided him, and did not betray him, and from that time forth he ate no flesh nor slew any living thing that was not in the service of Morgoth.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 am

Excellent passage. That one is fresh - I'm reading Beren and Luthien right now. I love the contrast between the early versions of the work compared to where it ended up at in the Silm.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am

Also, if you peruse reddit at all, you gotta check out r/tolkienfans. It's for legit discussions only.
Welcome to r/tolkienfans! This subreddit is a space for the Tolkien nerds of reddit to debate and discuss the whole Tolkien mythos.

We emphasise serious discussion here over jokey/meme-based posts. That's not to say you have to be a LOTR scholar or Tolkien academic to post or enjoy this subreddit, but that we'd prefer not to have image macros or movie gifs filling up this forum.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:36 am

Yes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this page. nice work.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

I wish JRRT would have been able to flesh out everything that he wanted to. I'd love to read a finished product of the Dagor Dagorath.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 pm

John Howe and Tom Shippey have been confirmed as contributors to the new Amazon show.

*squeeee*

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

John Howe and Tom Shippey have been confirmed as contributors to the new Amazon show.

*squeeee*
Wow, those are two great gets. One of my favorite part about reading the Tolkien stuff are poring over the maps.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 am

The family of JRR Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate are aware of the Fox Searchlight motion picture entitled Tolkien that is due for release in May 2019.

The family and the Estate wish to make clear that they did not approve of, authorise or participate in the making of this film.

They do not endorse it or its content in any way.
The Tolkien Estate are a surly bunch.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:40 pm

The family of JRR Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate are aware of the Fox Searchlight motion picture entitled Tolkien that is due for release in May 2019.

The family and the Estate wish to make clear that they did not approve of, authorise or participate in the making of this film.

I will always appreciate Christopher's map contributions to the original trilogy, but yeah, he is an old, surly SOB. He shat all over the LOTR trilogy, and I honestly don't know how you could have possibly taken the source material and made a film adaptation that could ever be better than what Jackson accomplished. FFS, he disowned his son over it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 pm

I will always appreciate Christopher's map contributions to the original trilogy, but yeah, he is an old, surly SOB. He shat all over the LOTR trilogy, and I honestly don't know how you could have possibly taken the source material and made a film adaptation that could ever be better than what Jackson accomplished. FFS, he disowned his son over it.
There was a comment on io9 from someone studying to work in the field of "Tolkien Academia" (sounds like someone who won't be repaying their student loans) that shed some light on the situation. To completely quote this person:
the tolkien estate doesn’t see tolkien’s works as fundamentally entertainment. Christopher Tolkien saw his father as an academic, as a mythologist, as doing something important and powerful, but the fact that he inspired an entire genre of novels and movies mattered almost not at all to him.
To which I say holy **** pretentious ****. How can someone write one of the most important literary works in history, which influenced an entire genre, and still be delusional over the impact of their work? He wrote some **** books and they were pretty damn good, but they were still just for entertainment purposes.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Tolkien's goal was to create a mythology for England that imagined a Britain that was not conquered by the Normans in 1066. (Much of what we know and love of English folklore is actually French in it's origins.) He was aiming for more than mere entertainment. But Chris is a bit of dope.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:20 am

Sounds boring

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 am

on sale at noon. wish i had more wall space for these 24x36

https://bottleneckgallery.com/

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Amazon Studios’ high-profile The Lord of the Rings TV series has made a key hire. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom director Juan Antonio (J.A.) Bayona has been tapped to direct the first two episodes of the big-scope fantasy drama, following in the footsteps of Peter Jackson, who directed the feature adaptations of the classic J.R.R. Tolkien novels.
https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lord-o ... 202640048/

regardless of your thoughts on Fallen Kingdom, he's a wonderful director and I think this is excellent news!

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:13 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:29 pm

You know expectations are sky high when watching a sizzle reel of mostly the below-the-line talent gives you goose bumps.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:34 pm

You know expectations are sky high you're a nerd when watching a sizzle reel of mostly the below-the-line talent gives you goose bumps.
FIFY

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 pm

It's ironic that the Tolkien estate is so stingy with the property because, in an encyclopedia I own, there's a foreword in it that states that Tolkien intended to have Middle Earth be a setting for anyone to make future stories, much like the Star Wars universe is today.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 pm

My biggest hope for this series is that they don't modernize it for 2019/2020. Don't change the story, don't change the characters as described in the book, don't make random characters gay or some other random thing for "inclusiveness", etc. It is very encouraging seeing the Tolkien scholars there. The source material is fantastic, no need to get cute.