JRR Tolkien Super Duper Mega Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun May 21, 2023 2:40 pm

I really hate audible. If it was unlimited credits per month I’d be down, even if you have to finish one before starting another.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:10 am

A few months ago, I downloaded the audiobooks of LotR. I started reading Tolkien when I was about 10. I read The Hobbit and LotR probably five times over the next 10 years. But then I stopped for whatever reason. Hadn't read them in maybe 30 years. But I've been listening to them recently.

I forgot just how damn good LotR is.

Maybe I didn't really forget, 'cause it just occurred to me why I had been thinking them not-so-good: it's because of the movies. I went to the movies with great anticipation since I knew the books so well. The movies were a disappointment for me.

I've been listening to The Silmarillion for so many years, 'cause I came to dislike LotR. So I hope that no one ever makes a movie (or six, if Peter Jackson does it) of The Silmarillion.

But, man, revisiting LotR has been a great pleasure.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:22 pm

The movies were...... a disappointment to you??

:|

I got the Serkis-narrated audio books ahead of our Europe vacay earlier this year, thinking I'd bust them out on the long-haul flights. I didn't realize each one was like 20 hrs long. haha

The Silmarillion is less suitable to adaptation than either of the other completed works of Middle-earth. Iirc there are like 20 named characters in the first 5 pages. :lol:

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:25 pm

The movies were...... a disappointment to you??
Yes.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:27 pm

I have a friend who hated Heath Ledger's Joker. I guess there's room for all kinds.

:wink:

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:28 pm

Do you disagree about the movies? Do you wanna rumble?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 pm

*puts glasses into breast pocket*

The movies are among the finest achievements in cinema history, and represent a shining example of how to successfully adapt a complicated source narrative from prose to suit a filmic storytelling framework.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:11 pm

Peter Jackson and his team knew nothing of the feel of Tolkien. Jackson loved to spend 30 minutes on stupid CGI battles with things flying through the air but couldn't take 30 seconds to put in Tolkien's beautiful language. Think of Gandalf at the Bridge of Khazad Dum. Think of Gimli's reaction to Galadrial. Think of when Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn meet Éomer and Gimli's response. Think of when the three meet Gandalf in Fangorn. Think of the wonderful language of Denethor which was cast aside for a disgusting salad scene.

But let's go back to just one scene: the three meeting Gandalf in Fangorn. You know the text and the wonderful language. Jackson couldn't take 30 seconds to put that in. It all got reduced to Aragorn saying ... "...YOU!..."

I know all of that is just the way Hollywood kinda has to be, but I was left so hollow for what could have been. And been done simply. Dude, for f**k's sake, just give me a few minutes of f**king Tolkien!!

I could go on and on with what I disliked about the movies. I could go on and on and on .... I really disliked them. Intensely. I have been sitting here trying to think of something I liked. Maybe some of the scenery...

The only thing I could come up with is that I think they brought some people unfamiliar with Tolkien to read or listen to his works. That's a good thing if only for them to realize how great the novels are and how sh**ty the movies are.

Again, I know Hollywood is Hollywood and ya gotta consider the masses of paying viewers, but for us Tolkien lovers, couldn't you give us a few minutes at least?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:33 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone loathing those movies. I mean maybe the Hobbit trilogy, but even those have their merits.

As for the audiobooks, the Serkis books are perfect. Keep in mind some of the runtime are appendices etc that normal people don't listen to.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:16 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone loathing those movies.
I was about to say "loathing" is too strong a word. But I stopped and thought a bit. I gotta be honest. I do, in fact, loathe the movies. I loathe for what could have been.

Once again, I know (generally) what it takes to get movies made and I guess I understand. But, oh, the real Tolkien-ing that could have been been done for that money and time.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:33 pm

I mean, hey, if yinz think spending the better part of $200 million making something that's not Tolkien is a good thing, then you're welcome to it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:42 pm

Here's another perspective that you will hate: My intro to Tolkien/LOTR was the Peter Jackson movies. I know them backwards and forwards, have watched the appendices a ridiculous amount of times, all of the commentary tracks, etc. I really love them. I tried listening to the Serkis audiobooks and quit about 5 hours into Fellowship out of boredom.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:47 pm

Oh redwill......

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:52 pm

Here's another perspective that you will hate: My intro to Tolkien/LOTR was the Peter Jackson movies. I know them backwards and forwards, have watched the appendices a ridiculous amount of times, all of the commentary tracks, etc. I really love them. I tried listening to the Serkis audiobooks and quit about 5 hours into Fellowship out of boredom.
I don't hate that in the least. That makes me happy. More power to you. Tolkien as written isn't for everybody.

But, IMO, what you know as Tolkien ain't Tolkien. So be it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:57 pm

Oh no. We tend to be on the same boat on this (and Star Wars cartoons) and as a recent purchaser of the Serkis audiobooks this does not bode well for my investment.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:59 pm

I have the Rob Inglis audiobooks. I've heard that maybe the Serkis ones are as good or better, but I'm not gonna spend my credits on such repetition.

I like the Inglis LotR, 'though I still prefer the Martin Shaw Silmarillion.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:04 pm

Oh no. We tend to be on the same boat on this (and Star Wars cartoons) and as a recent purchaser of the Serkis audiobooks this does not bode well for my investment.
My opinions are often wrong. Give it a go. I think I need to be in a specific mood to commit to those books and I just wasn't there. I'm planning on revisiting them at some point.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:08 pm

Oh redwill......
Pity me, tifosi.....

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:09 pm

... how to successfully adapt a complicated source narrative from prose to suit a filmic storytelling framework.
I presume this is California-talk for "turning great things into sh*t."

"filmic." Really?

I apologize. I'm just bored, love Tolkien, and feel like talking. The talking part won't last.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 am

Very cool rings posters on sale today at noon

https://bottleneckgallery.com/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am

"Limited edition of 30"

That's not a limited edition, that's the-artist-has-30-friends.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:18 am

"Limited edition of 30"

That's not a limited edition, that's the-artist-has-30-friends.
Ha, that's just the special paper variant one, others are 150. I don't even have wall space, but I have to go for it

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:22 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 pm

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 am

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck might go see those.