no stupid questions thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:16 pm

How does my gross pay increasing change the percent withheld for federal and state taxes?

My district switched from 12-month pay to 10-month pay. My annual salary is still the same, but my latest paycheck (which is the first of the new 10-month cycle) has a higher withholding rate, so I'm making about $30 less.
I may have shared this story before (and recently), but when I went from non-exempt to exempt I had been at a position where I was reliably banking several OT hours a week. Between the loss of OT and higher tax bracket my base salary went up by something like $10k, but my weekly take-home went down about the same as your reduction. It was a most unwelcome introduction to adulting.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Sort of reminds me of this:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Did the cop in My Cousin Vinny perjure himself when he said he looked into evidence “on a hunch”, instead of saying it was a tip?
IMO, it wasn't material to the case. So, no.
It's been a while (like 30 years) since I've seen the movie, and I don't remember this scene. But if the lie affected the admissibility of the evidence obtained by the search, would that make it material?

I remember he lied about his trial experience in order to get permission to try the case as an out-of-state lawyer, which seems like that might be perjurious.
Are you confusing the Sheriff and Vincent?

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:57 pm

How does my gross pay increasing change the percent withheld for federal and state taxes?

My district switched from 12-month pay to 10-month pay. My annual salary is still the same, but my latest paycheck (which is the first of the new 10-month cycle) has a higher withholding rate, so I'm making about $30 less.
I may have shared this story before (and recently), but when I went from non-exempt to exempt I had been at a position where I was reliably banking several OT hours a week. Between the loss of OT and higher tax bracket my base salary went up by something like $10k, but my weekly take-home went down about the same as your reduction. It was a most unwelcome introduction to adulting.
To me, that makes some sense, because your base salary increased. Higher salary, more taxes. My salary did not increase.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:45 pm

Did the cop in My Cousin Vinny perjure himself when he said he looked into evidence “on a hunch”, instead of saying it was a tip?
IMO, it wasn't material to the case. So, no.
It's been a while (like 30 years) since I've seen the movie, and I don't remember this scene. But if the lie affected the admissibility of the evidence obtained by the search, would that make it material?

I remember he lied about his trial experience in order to get permission to try the case as an out-of-state lawyer, which seems like that might be perjurious.
Are you confusing the Sheriff and Vincent?
I don't think so. If a cop lies about the provenance of the information that lead to a search that turned up evidence that's presented say trial would that be material to admissibility? I don't remember who provided the tip (30 years n'at).

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Vinny asked the sheriff to look up and see if any mint green 1964 Pontiac Tempests had been reported stolen. The sheriff comes back and says he searched "on a hunch" before testifying as to a police report from a nearby jurisdiction that basically proved the real killers. To the extent that would be a lie of omission (because the sheriff didn't say that Vinny asked him to run that search), it wouldn't affect the immateriality of the police report in question. And any objections were mooted when the DA withdrew the charges.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 am

Sort of reminds me of this:

I love this kid. When he says "but I already got my social security number!", my heart just goes out to him.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:05 pm

The explanation I was given by the payroll person is that since I get paid monthly and my monthly gross is higher, the table says to take out a higher percentage for taxes. I don't get paid monthly. If I did, I'd get a check in June and July. I'm just annoyed based on principle mostly, and that this wasn't communicated with us, but I also wish I knew a tax attorney who could tell me if what they are doing is the correct process.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:17 pm

The explanation I was given by the payroll person is that since I get paid monthly and my monthly gross is higher, the table says to take out a higher percentage for taxes. I don't get paid monthly. If I did, I'd get a check in June and July. I'm just annoyed based on principle mostly, and that this wasn't communicated with us, but I also wish I knew a tax attorney who could tell me if what they are doing is the correct process.
My guess is you'll have to pay less or get a bigger refund at the end of the year so it will even out but there should be some comparison online somewhere.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Yes, theoretically I should get this money back when I file. And I can also change my withholding.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:19 am

You have complete control on how much or how little you have withheld for federal income tax.

And yes, most programs use the tax table and that table is a vacuum. It assumes you are paid that amount every time that often and that determines amount withheld plus what you put on your W4. In your case the program is going to go off the monthly table so that's why you see more taken out now despite same amount.

But you can dictate to the penny what you want withheld. Anyone who says otherwise is lazy or doesn't know how to set up the payroll software.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Where would you go to buy a dresser? My wife and I are still rocking the $40 goodwill dressers we each bought when we left for college. You know, the ones made from plywood that barely open and close anymore?

We just bought our house last spring, and we haven't touched the master bedroom, so now we're looking to do a simple remodel (paint, trim and probably replace both windows... maybe even new flooring, but I doubt it). I'm thinking a dresser w/ mirror (or I'll just buy and hang a mirror), chest of drawers, and two night stands. We just got a Levin... go there? What about Ashley or some other online option?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Raymour and Flanigan would be my first stop, if you're looking for higher quality furniture.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Ashley is one of those places like big box jewelry stores where the moment you set foot in the door a salesperson swoops in on you and follows you around as you shop. It's a miserable experience.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm

West Elm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Raymour and Flanigan would be my first stop, if you're looking for higher quality furniture.
Thanks... I'll check 'em out. Seems like I'll have a high, medium, and low option and we'll just weigh out which one we like best.
West Elm
Thanks for the suggestion, but not for us. Too moderny.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 pm

R&F is huge, and they carry a very large variety of brands - including La-Z-Boy, which I only ever really see sold in their own stores. Our bedroom furniture and kitchen dinette set are all from R&F, and have held us exceptionally well. I just checked, and I actually bought our nightstands on Amazon (Sauder brand). Those, too, have held up well.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:51 pm

East Elm

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:56 pm

East Elm
Too old fashionedy

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:07 pm

All of our bedroom furniture is from IKEA, and we're quite ready to move on.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:10 pm

We've been in the process of finally moving on from our hand-me-downs and getting furniture that we actually like. We went to IKEA looking for an entertainment center. What a miserable experience. We haven't been there in probably close to 10 years but I don't remember it being so... gross. We also didn't find anything we liked. That's when we decided to go to West Elm instead. It was definitely a nicer experience. And considering how much that **** cost, it **** better be.

We have a new entertainment center and coffee table coming from West Elm. Macy's delivered the couch we ordered in April last week. And Sleep Number should be coming at the end of September.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:11 pm

We've been in the process of finally moving on from our hand-me-downs and getting furniture that we actually like. We went to IKEA looking for an entertainment center. What a miserable experience. We haven't been there in probably close to 10 years but I don't remember it being so... gross. We also didn't find anything we liked. That's when we decided to go to West Elm instead. It was definitely a nicer experience. And considering how much that **** cost, it **** better be.
Gross in what sense? Dirty?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:13 pm

We've had a Sleep Number bed for around 10 years now. Probably time to replace.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Dirty, tons of people. It doesn't help that it's Covid time and despite multiple signs "strongly encouraging" masks, we were definitely in the minority of mask wearers. It was also chaotic. They're clearly short staffed and only had a few registers open which created lines heading way back into the warehouse portion of the store. We were going to buy a few pillows and a plant but after seeing the line we noped out of there real quick.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:14 pm

We've had a Sleep Number bed for around 10 years now. Probably time to replace.
That was a fun shopping experience. I'm really looking forward to the bed. It's about time I own a mattress with its own app.