no stupid questions thread

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:10 am

No rain delay.
Close to a beer fridge.
Can open or close door to invite or exclude others.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:08 am

It drives me insane when I see people with two car garages(or single garages? and they are filled with stuff and they never park in them. Why have a garage?

As someone who up until recently never had a garage its baffling to me. I told my wife we'd never let it get to the point we have so much junk that we can't park our cars in the garage.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:42 am

My wife keeps her drum set in ours, but we also don't have any storage areas in my house (no basement and the attic gets too hot), so we use it for that as well. We don't have a lot of junk either. It is mostly tools, outdoor stuff, automotive stuff, and Christmas decorations. If I shelled out the cash, I could probably buy better storage for the garage to keep it in, but the drum set would still be in the way, so there is no point.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:50 am

My wife is afraid to park in the garage so it is basically a junk room.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:22 am

Because we don't have a basement and have a lot of stuff? It's basically the basement we don't have. ::shrug::

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 am

I dunno. Maybe it's cause I've never had a garage up until we bought this house. I always hated having to get up early and clean my car off in the winter, and start it up and make sure it was warm (even with a remote starter). Ditto in the summer... if it was sweltering hot having to start up the A/C before going anywhere.

Our two car garage is oversized so even with our two vehicles we have enough room for storing all the lawn stuff (lawnmower etc), and all of our decorations. Basically everything we had in our outside shed in the old house fits along the walls of the garage, and our two cars fit with room to spare. I did make sure though when we looked at houses if we didn't have an outside shed or storage that the garage would be big enough to hold our "stuff"/junk and both vehicles.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:34 am

This is a common thing in the south because parking in a garage isn't needed as much as it is in Pittsburgh.

There is a guy that has a tv and couch in his garage in my neighborhood. I walk my dogs by every day at various times and he is watching some judge show. I didn't know there was a 24 hour judge channel, but I guess there is

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:34 am

Source of the post Our two car garage is oversized so even with our two vehicles we have enough room for storing all the lawn stuff (lawnmower etc), and all of our decorations. Basically everything we had in our outside shed in the old house fits along the walls of the garage, and our two cars fit with room to spare. I did make sure though when we looked at houses if we didn't have an outside shed or storage that the garage would be big enough to hold our "stuff"/junk and both vehicles.
Same here. If I didn't have a full basement, I'd be in trouble. No chance would I give up my garage, so I'd probably resort to putting plywood up in the attic and storing a lot of stuff up there.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:11 am

something I've long never understood and I even played hockey. I just listened to the refs on this one. How does it get decided if it's going to be 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 after two guys take penalties at the same time?

meow

Postby meow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 am

something I've long never understood and I even played hockey. I just listened to the refs on this one. How does it get decided if it's going to be 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 after two guys take penalties at the same time?
Some refs do different things, but for the most part, if the two penalties (team A and team B) occur at the same time, it stays 5 on 5. So a post whistle scrum where two guys start slashing each other. Those are coincidentals and it stays 5 on 5. If there is a penalty - a boarding - then a player takes exception and takes a retaliatory roughing penalty, that is 4 on 4 because the penalties occurred a separate times

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 am

Ahh that explains it. Thank you meow

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 am

In the rulebook, there are dozens of scenarios about when penalties take place, how they're applied (with and without goals being scored), etc.

In short and very crudely, these days, you strive to get to 4 on 4...you do anything you can to prevent three players from being on the ice for one team though...

NHL and USA Hockey rulebooks have the scenarios though laid out and I don't know that I've come across a scenario that wasn't already mapped out in the book...

Page 146 of the book, 157 of the PDF, for instance: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/asset ... e/file.pdf

meow

Postby meow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:23 am

The iffy part is in the scrum, if I slash you and you punch me, those are a slash and a rough. Some refs make it 4 on 4 and some make it 5 on 5

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:23 am

With it looking like the Caps are about to go down, does anyone feel any better about the Pens losing in the play in round?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am

No. Nothing has happened to our two biggest enemies yet...and we went out with a pathetic effort...there's no solace.

It would be nice if the Caps and Flyers lost one more and three more games in the first round, respectively...but the Caps being down 3-0 does nothing, because it is nothing.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:42 am

The iffy part is in the scrum, if I slash you and you punch me, those are a slash and a rough. Some refs make it 4 on 4 and some make it 5 on 5
That's kinda where I got confused. So depends on the ref, good to know

meow

Postby meow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:52 am

That's kinda where I got confused. So depends on the ref, good to know
And the temperature of the game. If it is about to boil over, maybe just take one guy. That is a huge thing in the eyes of a player. If the ref is taking two guys out of all the bad scrums, and I'm some plug, I'm looking for the guy on the other team with the most points and socking him in the jaw to try and get us both off. If the ref is only taking one guy, I guess I'm looking for a guy to hug until the linesmen get things pushed apart.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:00 am

Well that's par for the course am I right

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:04 am

Maybe in house league it depends on the ref...but in the show, it's all prescribed...

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:11 am

After buying my house last year I’ve noticed how many of my neighbors have TVs/couches in their garages and how they’ll just chill in there with friends and what not

what’s the appeal? They all have private backyards too
there's no way you live in the South. :lol:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:09 pm

It drives me insane when I see people with two car garages(or single garages? and they are filled with stuff and they never park in them. Why have a garage?

As someone who up until recently never had a garage its baffling to me. I told my wife we'd never let it get to the point we have so much junk that we can't park our cars in the garage.
Somebody give this man a sticker

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Somebody give this man a sticker
heh. I mean I guess in the south it's a bit different weather wise, but still weird to me. It's a garage.. it's made to park a car. If nothing else it keeps your car out of the elements and less of a chance of getting broken into.

I can't wait till it's like negative 5 this year and I don't have to get up 20 minutes earlier to start my car to warm it up and clean all the ice off it etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Some of my neighbors have vehicles too big for their old garages. Hell, even the new houses that were built 3 years ago have garages so small that the one neighbor gave up parking in it because he can't open the door past half way.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:41 pm

I never even noticed that was happening. You both Sagan'd me.