2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 am

Yeah, that did seem like an aggressive promotion at the time.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 am

whoever was playing left field last night looked shaky

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 am

whoever was playing left field last night looked shaky
Jason Martin.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:10 am

That's one way to get promoted

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 pm

Pirates now in first place in the NL Central.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 am

First place in the NL actually

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 am

I love looking at RD this early in the season. The Brewers are 12-8 with a run differential of -4. Good lord the Rays look good this year. Phils have started to regress a bit after their slow start. Harper has cooled off although he's still drawing a ton of walks. .262 BA with an OBP of .423, lol.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 am

Nova just gave up 6 runs to that tigers lineup. Looks like dumping him was the right call.

I think meadows is playing over his head right now, but glasnow is this good. That trade is bad, but at least archer is solid and signed for a number of years.

I look forward to the first brewers series, that will allow for us to gain a sense of where this team is.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:21 am

Our ole buddy Mark Melancon is lighting things up in San Fran. Alrighty getting mention as a trade deadline acquisition.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:36 am

Burdi has broken that stupid FIP stat.
If you’ve never heard of Burdi, he’s a 26-year-old righty who was drafted twice by the Twins, including as a second-rounder out of the University of Louisville in 2014, then picked by the Phillies and flipped to the Pirates in the 2017 Rule 5 draft, while he was still recovering from Tommy John surgery. He debuted on September 11 last year, and totaled 1.1 innings in two major league outings. So far this year, he’s posted the aforementioned strikeout and walk rates while avoiding any home runs. While his 3.52 ERA doesn’t stick out, he’s basically broken the FIP formula. You just don’t see that very often, even this early in the season.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 am

Nova just gave up 6 runs to that tigers lineup. Looks like dumping him was the right call.

I think meadows is playing over his head right now, but glasnow is this good. That trade is bad, but at least archer is solid and signed for a number of years.

I look forward to the first brewers series, that will allow for us to gain a sense of where this team is.
I think the jury was still out on him when the pirates traded him. On the other hand, I think everyone (fans, coaches, management, and the player himself) were over the glasnow experiment. It actually bugs me more to see meadows playing well than glasnow.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:35 am

Burdi has broken that stupid FIP stat.
If you’ve never heard of Burdi, he’s a 26-year-old righty who was drafted twice by the Twins, including as a second-rounder out of the University of Louisville in 2014, then picked by the Phillies and flipped to the Pirates in the 2017 Rule 5 draft, while he was still recovering from Tommy John surgery. He debuted on September 11 last year, and totaled 1.1 innings in two major league outings. So far this year, he’s posted the aforementioned strikeout and walk rates while avoiding any home runs. While his 3.52 ERA doesn’t stick out, he’s basically broken the FIP formula. You just don’t see that very often, even this early in the season.
I think everything you've interested me in about this is aforementioned on a mystery site?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:39 am

forgot the link. it's just fangraphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-get-we ... ts-so-far/

Here is the aformentioned part.

The Pirates’ Nick Burdi entered Wednesday with exactly the same numbers as Diaz in that department, then struck out two of the three batters he faced to move ahead to 46.7% (50% strikeout rate, 3.3% walk rate) — but again, in just 7.2 innings. Still, I’ve got a separate spot for Burdi here…

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 am

I think the jury was still out on him when the pirates traded him. On the other hand, I think everyone (fans, coaches, management, and the player himself) were over the glasnow experiment. It actually bugs me more to see meadows playing well than glasnow.
Reynolds is nearly matching him which takes away some pain at the moment. But i was never over glasnow. To not get to witness him or cole in their most dominant stretches is demoralizing for me. It's nice but not the same watching Williams and Musgrove

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 am

forgot the link. it's just fangraphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-get-we ... ts-so-far/

Here is the aformentioned part.

The Pirates’ Nick Burdi entered Wednesday with exactly the same numbers as Diaz in that department, then struck out two of the three batters he faced to move ahead to 46.7% (50% strikeout rate, 3.3% walk rate) — but again, in just 7.2 innings. Still, I’ve got a separate spot for Burdi here…
Haha thanks dude. Sorry i was mostly kidding. I could have just looked up his stats

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 am

Is 10-6 the new 11-4?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am

Is it dodint's opinion that the Pirates stink, and anyone denying that premise is wrong?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:33 am

I think the frustrating part about Glasnow was that he was almost immediately fixed upon arriving in Tampa Bay. He was essentially a competent starting pitcher as soon as he walked in the door. It wasn't an issue with Glasnow that was holding him back here, it was Searage being clueless on how to handle him. That's why my takeaway from this whole thing is an operational critique, like how was it even possible for them to derive such terrible output from such a talented player. So again, I hope they learned something from that debacle.

The Meadows part looks like a miscalculation. At the time of the trade, the Marte, Dickerson, Polanco trio was looking spectacular. They could have just seen Meadows as expendable through 2019 and viewed his value as a trade chip. The Meadows part is just particularly painful right now as they have been relying on cast of misfits to handle the corner outfield spots while Dickerson and Polanco get healed. I think once the Pirates traverse this current miasma, Meadows' success will mean less.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 am

Whatever you want to call them, Melky has been great. I do wish we had a better 4th OF but there isn't a world in which Meadows would be in Pittsburgh and not starting. Maybe the play was to trade Polanco instead, I don't know. But God knows we weren't developing anyone to be as good as Chris Archer so it is what it is.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 am

Is it dodint's opinion that the Pirates stink, and anyone denying that premise is wrong?
Do you really care?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:40 am

Is there a way to block a person in just one thread? I like dodint everywhere else on 5af

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 am

Do you really care?
Yeah, I want to arrive at a situation where you voluntarily deport yourself from the thread.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 am

Whatever you want to call them, Melky has been great. I do wish we had a better 4th OF but there isn't a world in which Meadows would be in Pittsburgh and not starting. Maybe the play was to trade Polanco instead, I don't know. But God knows we weren't developing anyone to be as good as Chris Archer so it is what it is.
Yeah, I think the value in Archer was the opportunity to add a veteran presence to the rotation on a team friendly long term contract. I think in general that aspect of the trade, in terms of the value side to the Pirates is not considered strongly enough. The Pirates traded upside for stability, which is usually a losing play in the end, and clearly where this trade is headed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:49 am

Is there a way to block a person in just one thread? I like dodint everywhere else on 5af
Yeah, I want to arrive at a situation where you voluntarily deport yourself from the thread.
It's natural that the biggest Pirates apologist would be at odds with the greatest Pirates doubter. That doesn't bother me in the least.

That said my bottom line position for 5AF is that I hope everyone comes to have a good time and if I'm taking away from that (beyond providing a balance to groupthink) then I'm fine leaving.

If you need me, page me. Otherwise enjoy the sandbox.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:49 am

Teams trade away quality prospects and players all the time.

People always whined about him stockpiling prospects.

Only NH could be criticized for it.