2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 pm

The pirates had success reforming average/ struggling pitchers into above average with their approach. But then high on their success they turned their uniquely talented star pitchers into above average pitchers or worse. If i was a cocky star pitcher (the kind that could dominate a one off playoff game) with elite talent I'd resent being forced into the box that it seems the pirates wanted to enforce. While it might be more complicated or even not true it feels like this is the story with Cole and Glasnow.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm

And thanks DD for taking some time from the GoT thread to bring us that data. Though i hate myself every time i check into that trade

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 pm

And thanks DD for taking some time from the GoT thread to bring us that data. Though i hate myself every time i check into that trade
Do you feel that hate has been properly earned?

Speaking of hate; Kingham back to the bullpen, leaving Brault (or the potential of an opener) as the fifth starter in the rotation.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Well for years they talked about a three headed star pitching staff. Each guy could be an ace but they work better together. Cole arrives and yeah you see the plan from the best management team in baseball is taking shape. But then Taillon gets injured in the minors and i can forgive that. Maybe setting us up for him and glasnow to arrive closer together and just in time since you know Cole's life here won't last forever. It's just not how the BMTiB sees the plot. But then finally glasnow arrives riding his lit fastball that smoked the minors and he goes completely limp. Just do what got you here. When he finally does im not even rooting for him anymore though it's kinda cool to see anyway.

And they hyped up meadows for years. A real superstar. A real cool guy. He finally breaks through into the show, puts on a huge display and then poof, gone before the end of the season. Like why was i even paying attention to him all these years. Archer? The stadium could collapse on him at this point and i would barely care. He used to be awesome but i guess he was always overrated. Not a very satisfying ending for him either and unless something crazy happens to end this season I'd say they really blew this trade

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 am

Speaking of blowing things, how many homeruns are they gonna let RichRod serve up this year?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 am

Speaking of blowing things, how many homeruns are they gonna let RichRod serve up this year?
8 in 22 appearances...good lord.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am

trevor Williams, one of the last healthy grown ups on this pitching staff, left the game early last night

just release richrod. what is the point of keeping him around? relievers are the most disposable players in any sport (although punters/kickers may be a close second)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 17, 2019 8:31 am

Well for years they talked about a three headed star pitching staff. Each guy could be an ace but they work better together. Cole arrives and yeah you see the plan from the best management team in baseball is taking shape. But then Taillon gets injured in the minors and i can forgive that. Maybe setting us up for him and glasnow to arrive closer together and just in time since you know Cole's life here won't last forever. It's just not how the BMTiB sees the plot. But then finally glasnow arrives riding his lit fastball that smoked the minors and he goes completely limp. Just do what got you here. When he finally does im not even rooting for him anymore though it's kinda cool to see anyway.

I still have the Pirates Prospects hard copy from a few years back with the front cover featuring the FOUR ACES, which were cole, Taillon, steson allie, and luis Heredia.

WHOOPS

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 17, 2019 8:33 am

also, TIL that Stetson allie is pitching (poorly) again

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 am

This pitching staff was capable of handling maybe one minor injury, that is the product of being cheap and expecting rollover performances (richrod). I'm transitioning into my "looking ahead" mode as this season will progressively get more unwatchable as Searge and Hurdle piece together a pitching staff, which will likely come together at some point, but 2019 is looking like a carbon copy of 2018.

If you had told me in ST that Bell and Polanco would be where they are at this point, I would have predicted that the Pirates were in contention for the division lead. I think that tells you how poorly prepared they were for this season. A few things that stick out to me:

- I can't believe the hoops they jumped through thus far to keep Brault and Kingham around. They came to camp and embarrassed themselves, and yet continued to be given opportunities at the MLB level. I was a dope for assuming there was something there, which was based on how the FO was viewing these two players.

- Hopefully Dickerson returns and Cervelli starts looking like a completent major leaguer. It would be nice to have some attractive trade deadline pieces. Liriano and Lyles could also be flipped for prospects.

- I think Kramer, Hayes, Martin, Reynolds and Tucker all need extended ML tryouts this summer. And then the team can assess. But looking ahead to 2020, I'd say the following positions should be locked down:

C: Diaz/Stallings
1B: Bell
RF: Polanco
CF: Marte

They then have quite a cast of potential guys to play the other positions, but they need some of those guys to step up and earn playing time.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 am

I still have the Pirates Prospects hard copy from a few years back with the front cover featuring the FOUR ACES, which were cole, Taillon, steson allie, and luis Heredia.

WHOOPS
Luis Heredia. Oh boy. Talk about a miss from everyone. Dude was a top 100 prospect for three consecutive years with Baseball Prospectus. Dude is getting absolutely lit the **** up in the Mexican League this year. Dude is toast.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am

Searge and Hurdle piece together a pitching staff, which will likely come together at some point
I really do admire your unrelenting optimism with this team.

Regarding the rest of your post, I think it might be time to get Tucker back to AAA to get some confidence back at the plate and give Kramer and/or Osuna the call. The fact that Len Jake Elmore started last night at 3B is embarrassing. This team is obsessed with cheap veterans who have a long track record of not being able to hit at the MLB level and believing they need just one more shot. Kramer is batting 371 in his last 10 games and is at 293/375/455/830 for the season; Osuna is batting 333 in his last 10 and is at 281/373/391/764 for the season. I'd rather see either of them manning 3B with Column Moran until they decide to give Hayes a shot.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 pm

ROSTER MOVES:
We have placed RHP Trevor Williams on the 10-day IL with a right side strain & RHP Clay Holmes has been recalled from AAA Indy.

RHP Richard Rodríguez has been optioned to AAA & we have selected the contract of RHP Geoff Hartlieb from AAA. Hartlieb will wear No. 72.
Also, Len Elmore starting again at 3B tonight.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 am

Man they hit it out of the park with Lyles. No one saw that coming. Nor Liriano. They both seemed like embarrassing pickups at the time

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am

Yea it’s pretty crazy. Without him they would be completely screwed at this point.

Looks like they’ve thrown in the towel regarding a fifth starter, at least for tonight. DuRapau getting the nod and it’s gonna be all relievers all the time.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 am

Imo it is probably wise to leave Keller down in the minors until he is fully ready. If he isnt going to be ready and/or he is going to be ineffective becuase he isnt ready, you might as well let warm bodies like brault be ineffective and let Keller fully prepare himself for the majors

Who is going to be calling the big east hoops game of the week (pitt vs providence) if Len Elmore is getting playing time with the buccos? He also has a JD. Lawyer, college hoops commentator, random temporary fix for the pirates. A true renaissance man that Len elmore

If they split this padres series it will be good enough for me

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am

Who is going to be calling the big east hoops game of the week (pitt vs providence) if Len Elmore is getting playing time with the buccos? He also has a JD. Lawyer, college hoops commentator, random temporary fix for the pirates. A true renaissance man that Len elmore
It’ll be Ronald Ramon and Chevy Troutman on the call with JP1 in the studio and that Syracuse sorority chick Chevy hooked up with working the sidelines.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 am

Fun fact: Chevy Troutman is a very active reviewer (like over 1,000 reviews) on Google reviews, including one for Ephesus pizza on 4th ave downtown.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 am

Lol

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Fun fact: Chevy Troutman is a very active reviewer (like over 1,000 reviews) on Google reviews, including one for Ephesus pizza on 4th ave downtown.
:lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 18, 2019 5:38 pm

With their major-league pitching staff beset by injuries and ineffectiveness, the Pirates have decided to convert minor-league outfielder J.B. Shuck into a two-way player.

Director of player development Larry Broadway told The Athletic on Saturday that Shuck will work as a pitcher and a position player at Triple-A Indianapolis — and potentially with the Pirates.

“This is not about helping in Indianapolis,” Broadway said via email. “It’s about seeing if he can find more ways to contribute at the major-league level. The idea is to increase his value, both for this season and for the remainder of his career.”

Shuck, 31, began the season on the active roster, then was designated for assignment on May 8. Four days later, he cleared waivers and was assigned to Indy. He has not yet made a pitching appearance with Indianapolis.

“I’m trying to find any way I can get up there (to the majors) and stay up there, so I’m all for trying it,”...
Sounds like desperation from all parties involved.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat May 18, 2019 6:59 pm

I am embarassed that this is public news

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Josh Bell. 14 home runs, 2 tonight.

5-0 Pirates.

Josh Bell leads Major League Baseball with 43 RBIs.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 pm

How long until Josh Bell is traded to a contender? Nine months?

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Damn, just DFA that pos already!