2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 am

The organization preaches "get guys out in 3 pitches or less." That is a stated fact by the organization. That was stated by Cole.

But they don't practice what they preach. Glasnow threw too many pitches and had trash command. Brault has had troubles with command. Keller has had troubles with command. Marvell, in his limited time, has had troubles with command. Clayton Holmes has had troubles with command. Archer has had troubles with his command. All these guys throw too many pitches. The team says "get guys out quickly" and these guys don't get guys out quickly.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 am

TL, your argument about Glasnow seems reasonable, but if you zoom out you'll see that there's an issue in getting guys to be successful at the ML level. Prospects tend to do rather well until they hit AAA and sometimes the major league level, and it didn't start or end with Glasnow.

I think it has to do with having "stuff" to get guys out and to be successful as a hitter only getting you so far. Once you hit the upper levels, you need advanced scouting and more of the strategic side of things to be successful.
And once guys get the bigs, they are under the tutelage of the ML coaching staff.

And they have had success with hitters, Reynolds, Newman and Bell have all seen their games take a step forward at the ML level. But Hurdle and Searage are just clueless with pitching and defense.And whether some of that falls with an incompetent analytics staff is hard to say. But I would find it hard that the analytics team is informing Hurdle and Searage on doing things that are continuing to have crap results.

So, it keeps coming back to those two being unable to adapt and use their pitchers correctly.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am

Went to the game on Saturday.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:59 am

I also went to the pitt game

fun times

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:10 am

Source of the post And whether some of that falls with an incompetent analytics staff is hard to say
Not so much analytics but advanced scouting. Which again falls under NH.

I'm not arguing that Hurdle should have kept his job - he was correctly fired. But even the best manager baseball can buy would have given them 3-5 games at most.

Searage also shares some of the blame but the Pirates instill a philosophy from the bottom to the top regarding how they play the game. Who was the proverbial lamb who was manager of the AA team? Thought I remembered a quote saying he didn't toe the company line, which was the reason for his canning.

The idea of having a way to run the team from top to bottom isn't wrong, my argument is their methods of doing so are incorrect. I just don't see NH as an astute baseball guy, let alone a genius which is what it's going to take to get the Pirates back to winning baseball as long as Nutting is owner.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:16 am

The organization preaches "get guys out in 3 pitches or less." That is a stated fact by the organization. That was stated by Cole.

But they don't practice what they preach. Glasnow threw too many pitches and had trash command. Brault has had troubles with command. Keller has had troubles with command. Marvell, in his limited time, has had troubles with command. Clayton Holmes has had troubles with command. Archer has had troubles with his command. All these guys throw too many pitches. The team says "get guys out quickly" and these guys don't get guys out quickly.
Also of course, choosing to have all their pitchers work off of the fastball as opposed to their off speed stuff.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 am

- To insinuate in anyway that GMNH doesn't completely suck at his job is laughable.
-
skullman80 - 70-92
. Congrats @skullman80. 69-93. You win by Price is Right rules and almost got both showcases.
- 2019 attendance finished 96 asses per game ahead of 2018. And that's with parading Steve Blass around all weekend. Attendance per game was 18,413, 26th in the league and ahead of Kansas City, Baltimore, Tampa, and Miami. Expect next season's numbers to be a disaster.
- 911 runs allowed is the fourth most in the history of this franchise, which has operated for 137 seasons. Run differential was 13th worst in history.
- Allowed double digits runs 31 times. Only twice were those extra innings games. '
- Jacob Stallings had the 8th highest WAR on the team.
- Overall WAR was 26th. Pitchers: 29th, Starting Pitchers: 29th, Relievers: 23rd, Non-Pitchers: 25th, C: 27th,1B: 8th, 2B: 12th, 3B: 30th (COLIN MORAN **** SUCKS), SS: 18th, LF: 13th, CF: 10th, RF: 29th, OF: 19th.

This entire team sucks. There's no quick fix for any of this and they won't spend to even try. Firing everyone would at least give me some intrigue into what's next, but it's still gonna be the GMNH Show for a franchise owned by Nutting, so none of it matters.

Edit: Also, the two highest WARS on the team this season were Reynolds and Newman, who were only in the position to succeed at the MLB level because GMNH's boy EGon killed himself and Marte, otherwise they would have been left to rot on AAA busses for the season.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:59 pm

the pirates suck, but still:

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/2019/08/29

:cry:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:04 pm

no matter how bad the buccos are, baseball ending is always sad

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 am

I almost forgot to honor my tradition of quoting an unflattering post about a recently departed pirate:
Musgrove runs his mouth too much for someone who is thoroughly mediocre at best and completely sucks ass at worst.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 am

Thank you for another Dundee Award.