willeyeam

2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm

No doubt about it

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Haha yup Reynolds

It's crazy. If you're him it's gotta be hard not to let your mind run. Im sure he isn't but if he let himself think for a minute. He could think man maybe im a star. Tens of millions of dollars and fame and history. Everything you could dream of. If you were really in that position that idea would creep in the back of your mind even if you rejected it immediately.

But anyway, he's hit .300 in every professional stint he's had. Good pedigree and athleticism. As a fan... well... all i can do is forever compare him to meadows. But he's the bright spot of the sad year. And if Newman is real. man that's a nice 1-2 to lead off a game and youth to build on. And Newman could be (wild dreams) a .300 hitter that could put up some doubles or at least master the strike zone and add some really high obp. And i haven't seen these guys play much but i have the sense they're smart and fast baserunners.

Just let me dream about a nice top of the order for a minute

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

Also if you're him: "man I'm doing good, hopefully, I don't get benched for Polanco/Dickerson/Melky, today"

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 am

Reynolds hits a three-run game winning homerun, finishes the game, grabs some food from the post-game meal and takes off before the media are allowed in the room. :lol: Love it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

Nice comeback win plus a solid performance from the bullpen. It's important that this is a one off event and they don't do something stupid like go on a run that allows GMNH to pretend like they're competing.

Josh Bell is No Bryan Reynolds:
Reynolds: 3 for 4, 3 R, 3 RBI, 2B, HR; June: 393/448/574/1022
Bell: 0 for 3, 2 LOB; June: 222/311/460/771

Dickie Dunn is Concerned About our Top Prospects:

- Mitch Keller: Pirates have 4/5ths of a starting rotation right now. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod for Monday, but I suspected that sooner or later it'll be JT Brubaker joining the big club.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes: Might be dead.
- Travis Swaggerty: 2 FOR 4 WITH TWO **** SINGLES BABY! His first multi-game hit since June 2nd raises his monthly line to 148/246/213/456. Coincidentally, June 2nd is also the last game where he hit a HR and/or had an RBI.
- Oneil Cruz: Still injured!
- Kevin Kramer Cole Tucker: I'm tired of the Kevin Kramer feature. Tucker was removed from the Pirates top prospects list because he got called up and had like two hits. He will now assume this spot. Tucker was 1 for 4 last night and is batting 242/286/364/649 since being sent back down.
- Cal Mitchell: I'm adding him to the list so there's some kind of optimism in this daily **** fest. 2 for 5 last night with a HR and 3 RBIs. 280/316/457/773 on the season with 9 HRs and 36 RBI and still strikes out a lot. For an all bat OFer I find Mitchell to be an intriguing prospect, especially if the DH gets added to the NL at some point. He's short but already jacked with room to add more muscle and is the youngest player in Bradenton. I like guys who can put up power numbers despite being young for their level and Mitchell is 2.5 years younger than the average age for A+ ball.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am

all star travis swaggerty, sir.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am

will craig is sixth in the IL in homeruns

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 am

Hunter Owen has been promoted to Indy

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 am

Hunter Owen has been promoted to Indy
Looks like Owen's (298/372/570/942, 15 HRs) promotion was related to Len Elmore going on the DL for Indy. Lolo Sanchez (301/377/451/829, 20 for 30 on SBs) and Rodolfo Castro (242/306/516/822, 14 HRs) were also promoted from Greensboro to Brandenton. Honestly, both places sound miserably humid this time of year. Kyle Mottice was moved bacj to Greensboro from West Virginia (390/538/441/979 in Greensboro, 400/478/500/978 in 5 games in WV) to fill Castro's spot and Chris Sharpe (292/385/451/836) was promoted to Altoona to make room for Sanchez in Bradenton.

Dickie Dunn is Concerned About our Top Prospects:

- Mitch Keller: I assume he pitches this weekend for Indy? Don't know for sure.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes: Has resumed light baseball activities.
- Travis Swaggerty: A return to form. 0 for 4 with 2 Ks and 4 LOBs.
- Oneil Cruz: Still injured!
- Kevin Kramer Cole Tucker: 2 for 5 with 2 HRs and 3 RBI.
- Cal Mitchell: 1 for 4 with 2 Ks.

Other things:
- Taillon is approaching the seven week point of his injury and is still injured as ****.
- Lyles will make a rehab start Sunday for Indy.
- EGone is a week away from starting a rehab assignment; hopefully we never see him again.
- Cervelli has been cleared to resume baseball activities. If/when he returns it better be as Diaz's backup.
- Kela is throwing from 90 feet and will rejoin the team in Houston.
- Burdi is still experiencing pain.
- Lonnie wants a second opinion on his calf strain. I'm sure the Pirates never want to see him again.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:04 am

Perotto says that Taillon's rehab is not going well, and even if he continues to improve, he won't start another game until September at the earliest. Some Pirates staff and scouts fear that he may need another Tommy John surgery. :cry:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 am

I wonder what kind of rehab they're having him do. It should be "avoid TJ surgery" rehab and not "gonna have you pitch again this season" rehab, but with the Pirates you never really know.

I haven't been including him in my world renowned prospect report because he's somehow listed as their 23rd best prospect, but Cody Bolton is **** good and IMO is easily a top five prospect for this franchise, though I would be interested to know what kind of pitch mix they have him working with in A+. Baseball America reports him using a four-seam, two-seam, cutter/slider, and working on a changeup, which would be impressive given what we've seen with their approach to Keller's development. He had another great outing yesterday, a day after his 21st birthday, and to completely steal Brian Cartwright's summary from BD:

12 starts this season:
6x he’s allowed 0 runs
4x he’s allowed 1 run
1x he’s allowed 2 runs
1x he’s allowed 5 runs

1 HR in 65 innings
last 3 starts – 13 IP 3 H 0 R 4 BB 17 K

1.61 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 174 average against, 10.1 K/9, 2 BB/9. He should be in Altoona before the summer is over. He has zero left to show in A+.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 am

TIL that Bolton has the 3/4 arm slot delivery, a la Morton. So he's a fastball/sinker guy.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Hey, Gerrit Cole is starting Tuesday against the ol' Buccos. Should be a good one.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah Bolton is top 5 easy for me. They're limiting his innings this year and i read they're unlikely to promote him until maybe playoff runs. Which im fine with. Give him challenges to tick off. Get a k with your changeup. Work on offspeed called strikes on 0-0 counts. No need to get him to the majors at 23 necessarily

Herman had his 4th hr in 37ab

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Here's my farm assessment.

AAA:
Tucker – Rising. He took a big step forward at the end of last season where he had a strong performance in the AFL (interestingly, Reynolds looked like a dud there). But he’s finally starting to fill out his lanky frame thus adding power to his game, while managing to stay at SS. A top 3 prospect in the system
Hayes – Flat. Strong defense, but he has not produced at the plate after a tantalizing spring.
Keller – Declining. He is not doing well at this point, I think the pitching coaches have to shoulder some of the blame here and quit messing with him.
Kramer – Declining. He seemed like a high floor prospect the last couple of years, but at this point, he’s a 25 year old with a sub .800 OPS in AAA.
Will Craig – Flat. Which is good because this is his first taste of AAA, but I think he still needs to take one more step forward with the bat to be make the jump to the majors.
Escobar – Rising. Was looking like he was on the cusp of a promotion to the majors, but got shelled in relief yesterday. His strong season has probably gotten the attention of the staff, which is unfortunate, because they will ruin him.
AA:
Scrubs up and down the roster on the offensive side.
Pedro Vazquez and Domingo Robles are a couple of pitchers to keep tabs on, but I don’t think either of them have MLB ceilings.
A+
Mitchell – Rising. He’s holding his own at a young age in a pitching friendly environment. We should look for a boost next year in Altoona to get a handle on what kind of prospect he is going forward.
Bolton – Rising. Top 10 prospect for sure. His development can at least alleviate the loss of Baz from the system (both drafted early in 2017)
Swaggerty – Declining. Not sure what’s going on there, but I imagine he’s struggling with mechanical adjustments. This was a guy that was loved by the prospect rankers headed into the last draft, more evidence that these dupes are just pulling it out of their ass most of the time.
Castro & Sanchez – Rising, and just promoted. But they seem like dart throws still. Worth keeping an eye on.
A-
Risers – Martin, Herman, Bae. Bae putting up a respectable slash line is impressive. Martin and Herman are smashing HR’s like crazy. Might be fair to say that the Pirates have finally figured out launch angle. But by the time these guys make the jump, they’ll be relics. That said, it’s still positive that they’ve figured out how to develop some offense. If they could just fix the pitching problems in the upper levels, that’d be great.
Pitchers that are interesting: Bido, Manasa, De Los Santos, Nova.
Short season
WV:
Juan Pie – Rising. Big signing from the 2017 signing period. I think he was just assigned here to get AB’s till the picks were signed, but he’s making the case to stay in the Penn league, rather than go to the GCL. Looking like he’ll get to Low A next year.
Ashcraft and Burrows – Rising. The two big prep pitchers from last draft. They both look good so far after a sort of aggressive promotion to the Penn league.
Bristol:
They really suck ass so far.
DSL :
No point listing names. The DSL team has a bunch of guys that were given 6 figure bonuses. Thus far seven of them have been mashing, with three of them among the top hitters in the league. The third baseman, Mojica, is still only 16 and currently riding a 1.164 OPS after hitting another HR this afternoon.
Every couple of years, a guy like Wander Franco or Vlad Jr come around that everyone just knows is going to be a stud. But then there are also guys like Juan Soto that are known to be good, but the scouts don’t know that he’s that good. I think it’s pretty clear that the Pirates are just conceding that they aren’t going to fight for the Vlad’s of the world, but you have to cast a wide net to get a Soto, and I think they are finally employing that model

The TL prospect rankings as of now:

Hayes
Tucker
Cruz
Keller
Mitchell
Bolton
Escobar
Swaggerty
Brubaker
Ashcraft
Burrows
Sanchez
Pie
Bae
Craig
Herman
Castro
Martin
Thomas

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:04 pm

The loney has brubaker pretty far down that list. Is that due to a lack of faith in his stuff or a lack of faith in the coaching staff

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

He's 25 and doesn't have impressive K numbers. He seems more like another Chad Kuhl type of pitching prospect. I think he's a guy that could make the majors, but I don't think he's an impact guy.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks troy. I'll try to piggy back on you later with some comments and my rankings thoughts. nothing stood out for me to really disagree with but I'll say for me Craig has taken a big step forward. I may rank him similar to you but i wasn't sold on him last year but this year im believing he's a good prospect. And for Swaggerty, I'll have to check his game logs when he came up because i felt he was a dud within weeks. Obviously after his first promotion he stunk last year so this year is just more of the same

And it doesn't strike me that brubaker is low. He's still rising (with an injury knock) but has never hit high prospect status for me yet. Though he'd have been a better shot than our lot this year

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Musgrove through six nicely. Loved called strike 3 on machado lol

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Reynolds is 1-3 so far, which has lowered his average. Tough

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:34 pm

1-4 now. BUM!

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Tucker 3-5 with a double. Not to steal DDs thunder. Game not quite over yet

Jennings with another good start. Pulled early it seems for some reason but he's poised to start performing as hoped

On paper that Bradenton outfield would be fun to check out. Swaggerty, Sanchez and Mitchell. Nothing good today though. Swaggerty with his 12th sb. Castro with a hit i think. And Kranick with a solid 7ip