2019 Steelers Offseason/Draft Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Meh. We can lose without him same way we've been losing with him.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm

And what’s the common denominator in all the WR success...?

BEN BABY

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Ben is the one thing that's going to be annoying when he's gone. Arguably the Steelers best ever quarterback and people clamor for him to retire.

I am really not prepared for Brian St. Pierre, Tommy Maddox, or whatever it is until they hit on another really good QB.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Source of the post people clamor for him to retire
Those people are dumb and should feel bad about being dumb.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Ben is the one thing that's going to be annoying when he's gone. Arguably the Steelers best ever quarterback and people clamor for him to retire.

I am really not prepared for Brian St. Pierre, Tommy Maddox, or whatever it is until they hit on another really good QB.
Give it a year or two, and you'll be clamoring for him to hang them up. Its likely to be an ugly ending imo.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Give it a year or two, and you'll be clamoring for him to hang them up. Its likely to be an ugly ending imo.
Oh, it's coming, and in ways, it's already here. I'm not in a rush to see him out the door though, and yes - I do think we'll see a Favre-esque experience where he's gonna try things he thinks he can still do and it will be gone.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Exhibit A

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Is Ben supposed to decline so poorly just 1-2 seasons after his career best season, or is the concern about drama Ben turning the drama up to 11?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Is Ben supposed to decline so poorly just 1-2 seasons after his career best season, or is the concern about drama Ben turning the drama up to 11?
A combination of things: these things rarely end well as a general matter with franchise QBs; I don’t think this team is positioned to be particularly successful in the next 2-3 years; they seem likely to lose the best RB and WR in the league this offseason; his style is conducive to volume interceptions (led the NFL this year) and he probably has too much leeway to do whatever he wants with Fichtner; and he’s 38 in 2020. Peyton Manning threw for 55 touchdowns and won MVP when he was 37, and at age 39
had a 9-17 TD-INT ratio and simply couldn’t play QB anymore (yes I know they won the Super Bowl nonetheless). I don’t anticipate Ben somehow being the first guy outside of Tom Brady to just defy every single other precedent.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Exhibit A
This post is by a below-the-line poster. Display this post.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 pm

A combination of things: these things rarely end well as a general matter with franchise QBs; I don’t think this team is positioned to be particularly successful in the next 2-3 years; they seem likely to lose the best RB and WR in the league this offseason; his style is conducive to volume interceptions (led the NFL this year) and he probably has too much leeway to do whatever he wants with Fichtner; and he’s 38 in 2020. Peyton Manning threw for 55 touchdowns and won MVP when he was 37, and at age 39
had a 9-17 TD-INT ratio and simply couldn’t play QB anymore (yes I know they won the Super Bowl nonetheless). I don’t anticipate Ben somehow being the first guy outside of Tom Brady to just defy every single other precedent.
Gotcha. I get the Manning reference, but he also struggled with injuries late in his career that hampered his ability to actually throw the ball. Ben’s probably is forcing the ball, which I don’t expect to change. I’m good with it, too. Risk versus reward.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm

And before ulf and his Russian troll farms take up e-arms against me I think Large Benjamin is the best offensive player in franchise history.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Exhibit A
This post is by a below-the-line poster. Display this post.
:lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

And before ulf and his Russian troll farms take up e-arms against me I think Large Benjamin is the best offensive player in franchise history.
I think Ben has done a good job of transitioning into a pocket passer getting rid of the ball quickly and less of the backyard football running around extending plays and taking hits. He'll obviously slow down at some point but imo this progression won't lead to a fall-off-the-cliff disastrous decline. We'll probably be watching in four years as they're down 7 at Oakland and he throws a red zone pick as we fall to 3-6 and think welp it's probably time for Kenny Pickett.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Fun fact: Ben’s release was the quickest in the NFL this season.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

Gerry Dulac

@gerrydulac

Antonio Brown did not do himself or Steelers any favors by indicating he wants a new deal if traded. Part of his trade appeal is his cap-friendly contract. Some teams will shy away if he wants a new deal.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

Gerry Dulac

@gerrydulac

Antonio Brown did not do himself or Steelers any favors by indicating he wants a new deal if traded. Part of his trade appeal is his cap-friendly contract. Some teams will shy away if he wants a new deal.
AB is a moron.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am

If this is AB trying to force his hand to the 49ers. Everything the 49ers offer better include the 1st. They're gonna need to overpay if they want the asset that bad.

If not, keep him and let him rot for 3 years for all I care.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:16 am

No one really remembers any NFL trade in history...ever...?

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:57 am

I think I've officially switched from trade him for anything you can get to keep him...and prepare for the lulz. He's actually soured the entire process so bad that the Steelers now can't get a fair return for the caliber player he is, so eff him.

Issue a statement that reads something like 'Alot has happened since the last week of the NFL regular season with regards to Mr. Brown, but we want to make it perfectly clear that after much consideration and reflection, we value him too much to simply let him leave. And while we always try as an organization to fulfill the wishes of our players (an apparent desire to be traded by Mr. Brown), we cannot weaken our on the field product or our organizational integrity by giving away the best, most productive WR in the game for pennies on the dollar. Therefore, while we will always consider trade offers for any player currently under contract with the Steelers, we are not actively seeking to trade Antonio Brown at this time.'

Then wait for the next lulz.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 pm

If this is AB trying to force his hand to the 49ers. Everything the 49ers offer better include the 1st. They're gonna need to overpay if they want the asset that bad.

If not, keep him and let him rot for 3 years for all I care.
As a 49er fan if they offer the 2nd overall pick for him they are morons and deserve bad things.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Man, how lucky is Boswell this offseason?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:28 pm

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 pm

AB get’s knocked out against Cincy in the Burfict playoff game. He knows he’s not playing next week. The way he went out was rotten. The team had a chance to make a run, but it was now veeeery compromised.

And he was smiling on social media for internet points before he even left the stadium.

I don’t really have any beef with the confusing behavior of the young and famous, but that’s the moment where I knew this guy just didn’t live in reality, and had only a passing interest in the things most athletes care about.

So long, AB. Back to your home planet you go. I enjoyed the time you karate’d that punter.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I hope he rots in purgatory for the remainder of his contract.