Military Affairs & History

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:14 pm

I'm blessed to live near the USS Yorktown (CV-10) and have even camped overnight on it with my son's Cub Scout troop. Very important piece of history, and we're lucky to have it still around as a museum.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:35 pm

I enjoy touring the USS North Carolina once a decade or so.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:59 pm

So this bad boy was doing touch and gos over at the Beaver County Airport today. Haven't seen something this big flying around here since they stopped the airshow after 9/11.

https://www.flightradar24.com/EPIC31/2c23d258

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:17 pm

4,000 square feet of shade.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:20 pm

I rode in those to get from Kuwait to Afghanistan. I'm more of a C-130 guy but I guess it was an okay ride. ;)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:23 pm

Heh, those flew over my head daily when I lived in Charleston.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:47 pm

Also, the Latrobe airshow has started back up again, if locals are interested. (It's actually this coming weekend, 6/11 & 6/12) F-16 Viper Demo, F/A-18 Rhino West demo team, Precision Exotics, fun for all taxpayers and their children.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:52 pm

Yes. All.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:30 pm

Figured this is more of a this thread thing than a movie thread thing, but the 'E' Super Hornet that was painted up as Maverick's jet for the new TG movie was transferred out of VX-31's inventory after filming. It was assigned to the Blue Angels as part of their type conversion in 2020, and I believe has spent its time in the squadron painted as Lead Solo #5.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Top Gun Maverick spoiler since the question belongs in this thread
The F-14 he flies was a ground model and CGI, right? There are only museum pieces and maybe one US Navy historical branch version that's airworthy, right?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 pm

That's my understanding. They scrapped them so that spare parts could never get to Iran. I think even the museum models have been modified so they could never fly again.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Yes, there are no airworthy F-14s outside of Iran. (And even they only have a few left out of the 79 that were delivered.) It is extremely rare to find an A-model on outdoor/unsecured static display that even has the engine exhaust turkey feathers intact. The one at the museum in Torrance is in pretty good shape; off the top of my head I can think of around a dozen Tomcats on static in CA.

Speaking of Torrance...... there's a company down there called MotoArt that makes high end furniture and other tchochkes from scrapped aircraft. They've recently gotten ahold of the F-14A fuselage that I think was used for cockpit shots in TG:M (external aircraft shots were a different full airframe on loan), and they've cut it up and now you can buy $300 key rings made from the skin (or internal honeycomb) of this aircraft. Woot.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Don't tell Wendell August.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 pm

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:20 am

I wish I had unlimited money to fuel deep sea exploration and deep space. How much exists we don't know right here on this planet and it's only miles under the surface?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:21 am

Laid down 6 December 1943, Launched 20 January 1944, Commissioned 28 April 1944

**** hell did they crank that out quickly. The power of WW2.

Sank 25 October 1944

Thing didn’t even last a year.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:08 pm

An interesting video on the "crank that out quickly" aspect. This goes day-by-day through the war and tallies up the ships by date of commission for both the US and Japan.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:11 pm

A U.S. Navy destroyer that engaged a superior Japanese fleet in the largest sea battle of World War II in the Philippines has become the deepest wreck to be discovered, according to explorers.

The USS Samuel B. Roberts, popularly known as the “Sammy B,” was identified on Wednesday broken into two pieces on a slope at a depth of 6,985 meters (22,916 feet).

That puts it 426 meters (1,400 feet) deeper than the USS Johnston, the previous deepest wreck discovered last year in the Philippine Sea also by American explorer Victor Vescovo, founder of Dallas-based Caladan Oceanic Expeditions. He announced the latest find together with U.K.-based EYOS Expeditions.

“It was an extraordinary honor to locate this incredibly famous ship, and by doing so have the chance to retell her story of heroism and duty to those who may not know of the ship and her crew’s sacrifice,” Vescovo, a former Navy commander, said in a statement.

The Sammy B. took part in the Battle off Samar, the final phase of the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October 1944, in which the Imperial Japanese Navy suffered its biggest loss of ships and failed to dislodge the U.S. forces from Leyte, which they invaded earlier as part of the liberation of the Philippines.

According to some records, the destroyer disabled a Japanese heavy cruiser with a torpedo and significantly damaged another. After having spent virtually all its ammunition, she was critically hit by the lead battleship Yamato and sank. Of a 224-man crew, 89 died and 120 were saved, including the captain, Lt. Cmdr. Robert W. Copeland.

According to Samuel J. Cox, a retired admiral and naval historian, Copeland stated there was “no higher honor” then to have led the men who displayed such incredible courage going into battle against overwhelming odds, from which survival could not be expected.

“This site is a hallowed war grave, and serves to remind all Americans of the great cost born by previous generations for the freedom we take for granted today,” Cox said in a statement.

The explorers said that up until the discovery, the historical records of where the wreck lay were not very accurate. The search involved the use of the deepest side-scan sonar ever installed and operated on a submersible, well beyond the standard commercial limitations of 6,000 meters (19,685 feet), EYOS said.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:01 pm

I’m sure people that live close to airbases grow tired of it but we just had two pairs of A-10s circling us for 20 minutes before kickoff and it just makes me giddy like a school boy

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:27 pm

I’m sure people that live close to airbases grow tired of it but we just had two pairs of A-10s circling us for 20 minutes before kickoff and it just makes me giddy like a school boy
:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:06 pm

NAS Pt Mugu just recently hosted a Large Force Exercise in which a few dozen jets from other bases fly in on TDY and set up camp for a couple weeks. There's an elaborate test and instrumentation range off the Pacific coast where pretty much every air-to-air and air-to-ship missile system the US Navy has used since the 50s was tested and developed. (They even tested nukes there in the 60s) So these LFEs are like 30-40 aircraft launching and recovering in batches twice a day for two solid weeks, with the occasional foreign asset taking part. Makes for some excellent plane spotting, that I was not able to partake in this year.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:27 pm

Moved from RIP for discussion purposes; dug this thread off of Pg 4.
Even though it was the bad guys, Yamato and Musashi were kind of bonkers warships.

Even with a subject matter interest in shipwreck exploration, I do not recall seeing an explanation for how the two hull pieces of Yamato got in a nearly 180-degree orientation to each other in only 1,100 feet of water. I know why the ship broke up a tor near the surface - magazine explosion, a lesser version of what destroyed Musashi a few months prior - but how the hull pieces rotated around each other in such relatively shallow water I don't think I've ever seen explained.

And as I sit here thinking about it, I also do not recall why the characters in the manga had to use a sunken WWII battleship as the hull for the warp drive-equipped space cruiser. I don't really care, I'm just sayin'.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:56 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:17 pm

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... inson.html
The Navy has confirmed that the dramatic video of a F-35C Lightning II fighter crashing onto the USS Carl Vinson that began circulating on Reddit and Twitter on Sunday is genuine.

It's the third unauthorized release of media surrounding the Jan. 24 crash that injured seven people, including the pilot.
Accident report made public today.

Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel Break’ Resulted in South China Sea F-35C Crash, Investigation Says

To paraphrase, the Mishap Pilot:
- was not qualified as section lead, but was given opportunity to fly lead on 2-ship during Case-1 blue water recovery ops (standard training);
- lead 'Sierra Hotel Break' overhead, which means he lead the formation into the pattern about 100 kts faster than usual (which, actually, is not all that unusual);
- had never been #1 in the formation out of a fast overhead approach, and from the moment he rolled into the break he was 'behind the jet'.
- initiated break too early, and instead of one long 180° turn to bleed airspeed he put 7G on the aircraft in two separate turns, which left him well overspeed at the 90 (turning on base leg) and prompted him to keep his speed brakes deployed until far too late in the approach;
- missed the last step of the 4-point landing checklist in the F-35C and thought he was in a throttle approach mode that he was not;
- rolled out in the groove on an extremely short final now far too slow and settling, which is a bad combination (basically means quiet jet - idle power - and rapidly slowing);
- recognized the bad picture too late in the proceedings and selected full afterburner to dump out of the approach, but since he was in the wrong configuration all this did was bleed the last useable bits of airspeed off the jet just as it was crossing the ramp;
- struck the ship, and in so doing caused a mishap that injured several of his shipmates.
The administrative action taken against the Mishap Pilot means he will basically be allowed to retain his wings and wear them on his uniform and such, but he is permanently off flight status and will be 'permitted to leave the Navy' at the end of his contract.