The Walking Dead Thread

AuthorTony

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Why would the show be over then? Was the show over when the Governor was killed? Or the Marauders? Or the Terminus folks? Or Shane? This show goes through antagonist like no other show before it so to give that as an excuse is ridiculous.
Maybe because the writers have no idea what to do with the show other than let JDM stand around and chew the scenery.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 am

Just want to put this out there - more dumb writing led to the Ezekial overconfidence thing. Also, dumb writing - a 50 Cal machine gun would take limbs off / blow people in half.

Clearly, Ezekial is living, but those people would have been SHREDDED by that weapon.

AuthorTony

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 am

Did Rick and Daryl see something earlier that led them to believe Negan had a 50 cal Browning? That was an awfully specific weapon for them to grill the guy about.

Last week's episode and this week's episode could have been combined into 10 minutes of a real show. It's crazy how much boring filler they're dumping this early in the season. It's almost like they want the ratings to plummet.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am

They were given the tip by Dwight. Dwight told them the weapon was there through the messaging system they've created. They moved them to Gavin's base and that's where Ezekial and team were celebrating in an open area.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am

The fact that weapons don't work like they would in real life is the least of this show's problems right now. :lol:

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:28 am

Ok...sounds like another skip episode.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 am

The fact that weapons don't work like they would in real life is the least of this show's problems right now. :lol:
No, but it's really taking me out of the all-out war scenario. Same with this moral compass should we/shouldn't we kill nonsense. Rick wants to destroy everything one episode, then this episode he's questioning Daryl's actions.

An easy way to write out military grade weapons? Make it a stealth battle, firebomb the place, anything but continual unlimited ammo fire fights.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Spangler » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 pm

If you were to tell me a show was going to dedicate multiple episodes to a single raid, I would be very excited. This however, has been poorly executed. There's no real tension, and it's been mostly uninteresting.

Gaucho

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Ok...sounds like another skip episode.
Yeah.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm just tired of the Negen thing...just resolve the damn situation.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I got you covered again, columbia:
-No Negan, no Carl, no Michonne again this episode
-Aaron's boyfriend dies... he's sad, but now he has a baby to take to the Hilltop
-Rick and dude from season 1 talk for a bit about how everyone is morally corrupt, Daryl kills dude from season 1
-Rick is upset that Daryl is just killing fools
-King and Carol get to their end spot with no one dying, King is super happy
-"Oh no... the 50 cal isn't here, where'd it go?" -Rick
-Jesus and Morgan get into a fight. Jesus wins, cause he's Jesus
-Maggie lets Gregory back in the Hilltop for some reason
-Gregory, Bad acting lesbian chick, and Morgan don't want prisoners, others are conflicted
-That 50 cal rips the people that are with the King and Carol apart, end episode

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Bad acting lesbian chick
:lol:

I also do not know (or want to) her name.

Stoosh

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Stoosh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:14 pm

I love the show and will almost certainly watch it until it wraps up. And I'm vaguely familiar with the source material for the "All-Out War" storyline, meaning I'm aware of the fates of certain important characters.

That said, I just wonder if the show has reached the point where themes and events are becoming circular. The All-Out War storyline comes to an eventual end at some point. Then what?

They can always introduce another group of human antagonists (Whisperers, perhaps?), but then we're right back to where we were with the Saviors, and before them Terminus, and before them Woodbury. It's the same circular "what's the greater threat in a zombie apocalypse - The Walkers or co-existing with other humans" thing.

The obvious answer here is to address the largest plot arch - can the world ever go back to what it was before whatever brought about the Walkers? Maybe that answer is no, and I think Kirkman has mostly said that's the case. He's said before that the story is about existing in this new world, and not finding out what caused it or if it can be cured. That's fine, but if the story doesn't eventually go down the road to some sort of endgame, it will be your central group going through the same circular journey and the only thing that changes from season to season are the casualties.

I'll use Game of Thrones as an example. Unless I'm missing something from the source material, you could argue that the introduction of Negan and the Saviors was the Walking Dead's "Red Wedding". That was the lowest point for the central "protagonist" group. You the viewer/reader knew there would likely be revenge doled out in some form or another because who doesn't love that? But you also knew it was a story where the noble/honest were often trampled by those willing to take what they wanted by whatever means necessary, so the if, who, when and how of the pending revenge kept you coming back. On top of all that, there was also this kind of over-arching threat that you, the reader/viewer and a few select characters knew existed and that if it wasn't dealt with, it would ultimately doom them all.

Does that larger endgame exist in The Walking Dead? I don't know that it does. As far as this group goes, the walkers have gone from a universal threat to at worst, a threat kept at bay by a good wall and at best, something occasionally weaponized again those other jerks trying to steal our stuff. I know this group isn't thinking outside of things much larger than the walls of their respective communities. But I'd love to see them eventually introduce someone, somewhere that is trying to understand or even make tangible progress toward a bigger solution for the Walkers.

NAN

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Good post Stoosh. I have the same feelings. I don't mind it, mainly because I don't care about every little detail. I know there are warts, but in this kind of story, like you said, there usually is an endgame, or something resembling it. In this world, there doesn't appear to be one. And that is fine for a comic book. Most comics don't have an end game. But on TV, unless you are the Simpsons, typically the audience wants one. Even if it's just a narrator saying they continued on in the new world and they walk down the road off into the sunset.

But it is circular. Just the people who become dead are different.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Good post Stoosh. I have the same feelings. I don't mind it, mainly because I don't care about every little detail. I know there are warts, but in this kind of story, like you said, there usually is an endgame, or something resembling it. In this world, there doesn't appear to be one. And that is fine for a comic book. Most comics don't have an end game. But on TV, unless you are the Simpsons, typically the audience wants one. Even if it's just a narrator saying they continued on in the new world and they walk down the road off into the sunset.

@slappybrown needs to the read the last sentence

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm pretty bored with it. I like the scavenging and traveling parts of the series, which they arw done with.

Willie Kool

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm

That said, I just wonder if the show has reached the point where themes and events are becoming circular.
I think they realize this and acknowledged it with the scene re-creation in the season premier.

https://cdnws.skybound.com/the-walking- ... 101801.mp4

slappybrown

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

@slappybrown needs to the read the last sentence
:shock: :shock: :shock:

count2infinity

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm pretty bored with it. I like the scavenging and traveling parts of the series, which they arw done with.

Agreed... I enjoyed it better when the dead were the biggest issue. Once they established a residence in Alexandria, I got a bit bored with it all. I'll continue to watch though. Shut up, @NAN

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Agreed... I enjoyed it better when the dead were the biggest issue. Once they established a residence in Alexandria, I got a bit bored with it all. I'll continue to watch though. Shut up, @NAN
I agree. I still watch by obligation.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

The dead will eventually sufficiently rot and fall apart, which is probably the real answer to establishing a safe life; aside from the psycho humans.

Note to Guinness: there's no government and living humans still want to kill other living humans.

dodint

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 pm

:lol:

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 pm

worst episode of the series. and that includes the tara bottle episode and the governor.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 am

What I don't understand is that last year they were seemingly running out of things to eat, drink, sue to fight. Now all of a sudden, they have ammo and everything else covered. They've taken all of the focus away and dumped it into this war that is poorly written.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and I'm in it until the end - but if the rumors are true about who's going to get killed this year, I'm going to have to consider this a DVR show if/when it happens.

Gaucho

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:30 am

It's only CGI, Morkle.