The Walking Dead Thread

AuthorTony

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 am

I don't watch anymore, but am I to guess they killed off Carl?
Coral!

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am

Wondering how much of this was based on chandler riggs being a garbage actor. If he was passable, could they kill Rick instead and put Carl in charge? But he's soap opera level. Which means he can't headline a show.
There have been reports for quite a while, at least a year, that Riggs wanted off so he could go to college. I believe that was the only reason for this "twist". I don't think anyone involved with the show cares whether the cast can act or not. They certainly don't care about the writing and directing.
There's been an interview where Chandler said it was Gimple's decision. He ended up taking a year off so he could focus on this stuff, he bought a house in Georgia and was told a week or so later he'd be getting killed. At the moment, this appears to be 100% Gimple's choice.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ew-1066031
I'm taking a gap year right now to focus on acting for a while. Leaving Walking Dead wasn't my decision. It was all story related. It made sense story-wise for it to happen for Rick and Michonne and all the other characters.
I was planning on going to college until I found out. I found out when I was doing rehearsals for episode six back in June. It was quite the shocker for me, Andy and everyone because I don't think anyone saw it coming. It's definitely not a bad thing because it has been awesome being on the show but now I get to go and do a lot of other stuff that I haven't gotten to do before. Scott wanted to meet in person because it was such a big deal. We had just finished rehearsing for a scene in episode six and he wanted to meet with me and my mom and dad and talk about what's going to happen.
Kirkman is suing AMC and I bet he's furious they've ruined his adaptation.

dodint

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

Stephen King needs to sit Kirkman down and explain to him that diversion from the source material is good because the readers will be bored if they know what's going to happen!

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 am

Absolutely not, the source material was so good for this they could have made it word for word and I'd have loved it. I think this is a clear instance of them diverting just to divert and it's awful.

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am

"It's definitely not a bad thing"

...well kid, you'll never appear in anything popular ever again. This might actually be bad for your career.

I really think this is a matter of comic Carl getting a promotion and show Carl being a shitty actor who can't pull that off. For all the warts of this show, the acting is generally really good. I think the Carl gap is just that sizable that he was about to stand out, and the one thing they have going for them was about to become compromised. So now he's dunzo.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am

I think Carl when given scenes can act. The problem is that he's mostly filler content. Some of his best work was with Negan because they actually wrote a response. Him saving Siddiq of all people a nobody in the comics was worthless.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

In terms of acting:

Negan
Rick
Simon
Morgan
Ezekial
Maggie
Carl
Everyone else

And the acting thing isn't even worth discussing because AMC built in Daryl to stand and grunt so all the girls get horny.

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:29 am

I think Carl when given scenes can act. The problem is that he's mostly filler content. Some of his best work was with Negan because they actually wrote a response. Him saving Siddiq of all people a nobody in the comics was worthless.
He was given scenes last night. And they were of a kid pretending to be a grown up.

But this siddiq guy...good grief what a dead end. Is this supposed to be interesting because he's Muslim?

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

So this Carl thing also eliminates any intrigue from the fast forward from episode 1. Why bother doing...that. It's not pure fantasy because Rick has a gimpy leg. And it's not a flash forward because there's at least one corpse running around. So...completely pointless then? Yep? K.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:44 am

He was given scenes last night. And they were of a kid pretending to be a grown up.

But this siddiq guy...good grief what a dead end. Is this supposed to be interesting because he's Muslim?
I thought he nailed the discussion between the both, but certainly, JDM brings the bigger range. I think if they were concerned with the overall future of the show they could have ended AOW jumped forward "2" years and recast Carl. Since they didn't, that shows me the ran out of options with the character itself, which is real bad news for overall creativity.

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

I thought he nailed the discussion between the both, but certainly, JDM brings the bigger range. I think if they were concerned with the overall future of the show they could have ended AOW jumped forward "2" years and recast Carl. Since they didn't, that shows me the ran out of options with the character itself, which is real bad news for overall creativity.
they had a chance to re-cast after season 2. he was a trainwreck at that point, and hadn't hit puberty yet. but he improved enough to keep his place on the show...but not enough to be a lead character. i think re-casting a young adult who has been on the show for 8 years is too big of an ask - even with a time jump.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am

Eh - I think it's the end anyway. I think season 8 ends AOW, whisperers get a touch of season 9, and rick dies in season 10 to send the show off after defeating the new world order.

DigitalGypsy66

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Chandler Riggs' dad has some choice words for Gimple.
"Watching Gimple fire my son 2 weeks before his 18th birthday after telling him they wanted him for the next 3 years was disappointing," Riggs wrote. "I never trusted Gimple or AMC but Chandler did. I know how much it hurt him. But we do absolutely know how lucky we have been to be a part of it all and appreciate all the love from fans all these years!"

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/201 ... ead-carl-/

The original post has been deleted, naturally. Evidently, he does zombie tours in the Georgia locations where the show is filmed. "Biting the hand that feeds you" is in full effect here. :lol:

NAN

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 pm

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm

you...you mean...the show WANTED him to have that haircut? they're doing this on purpose. i know it.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:58 am

Chandler wasn't always the best, but I hope he succeeds post walking dead life. Would suck to see him selling autographs for $20 a pop at comic conventions when he's like 35.

Gaucho

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 am

That's pretty much the best he could hope for.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:29 am

Chandler Riggs = Jerry Mathers

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 am

Chandler wasn't always the best, but I hope he succeeds post walking dead life. Would suck to see him selling autographs for $20 a pop at comic conventions when he's like 35.
even good actors from these types of shows seem to struggle to find work afterwards. he's screwed.

the sad part is that AMC apparently pays these guys very little. Andrew Lincoln allegedly makes like 93K per episode. So the most critical actor on the most watched show on cable gets paid 9% of what the indian guy on the big bang theory makes. chandler riggs is wealthy, i'm sure. but not forever. and hanging around for an extra couple seasons would have been a big deal for his finances.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:40 am

True - I think the other actors have made a decent living elsewhere. I just hope Chandler does something to not get stuck, even though that's most likely.

dodint

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 am

He was already planning on going to college, right? Probably best for him. He was a bad child actor on a popular TV show that nobody will care about in 10 years. For instance, what's Robert Iler up to these days?

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:50 am

He was already planning on going to college, right? Probably best for him. He was a bad child actor on a popular TV show that nobody will care about in 10 years. For instance, what's Robert Iler up to these days?

In July 2001, Iler was arrested for the armed robbery of two Brazilian tourists and for possession of marijuana. He pleaded guilty to a single charge of larceny and received three years' probation.[3]. Iler was represented in the matter by notable NYC Criminal Defense Attorney Michael F. Bachner.[4]

Iler was present on October 23, 2005 when the underground poker club Ace Point was raided by the police.[5]

AuthorTony

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:54 am

A lot of those guys pull in several grand (3-10) in a weekend. "Big" names, like a Norman Reedus, can bank well over 100 grand in 3 days. There are worse gigs.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 am

TIL that Reedus was in "8mm."

Willie Kool

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 am

TIL that Reedus was in "8mm."
And Bjork's 'Violently Happy' video.