The Walking Dead Thread

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 am

The one thing that pissed me off about plot armor and Rosita:
When in the world did she become a bomb defusing expert? If she knows how to defuse bombs, then she likely knows how to make bombs? That seems super convenient.
Between Eugene and Abraham, I'd imagine she picked up something along the way. I think she was in the military, wasn't she? Or does it just come across that way?
Sure, she was in the military. They said that back when they first met - but being in the military and a bomb expert makes no sense. Especially when she said "I really don't like the look of that one." Oh so you know what bad dynamite looks like?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:37 am

The one thing that pissed me off about plot armor and Rosita:
When in the world did she become a bomb defusing expert? If she knows how to defuse bombs, then she likely knows how to make bombs? That seems super convenient.
Between Eugene and Abraham, I'd imagine she picked up something along the way. I think she was in the military, wasn't she? Or does it just come across that way?
Sure, she was in the military. They said that back when they first met - but being in the military and a bomb expert makes no sense. Especially when she said "I really don't like the look of that one." Oh so you know what bad dynamite looks like?
I think it must have been a good episode if that's your complaint about it... :lol:

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:39 am

I generally like all of the episodes and even understand the filler parts. I would have preferred that she had a background or someone mentioned somewhere that she did.

The reason why it bugs me, is that if she's a bomb expert - why not just make IEDs and plant them all around the roads at Alexandria....

The plot points and armor drive me insane sometimes because if I had someone like that - I'd have traps and **** set everywhere.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:43 am

I generally like all of the episodes and even understand the filler parts. I would have preferred that she had a background or someone mentioned somewhere that she did.

The reason why it bugs me, is that if she's a bomb expert - why not just make IEDs and plant them all around the roads at Alexandria....

The plot points and armor drive me insane sometimes because if I had someone like that - I'd have traps and **** set everywhere.
I know most of your work involves SEO work, but you have a computer background right? You could probably put a computer together if you had all the parts... could you make those parts from scratch?

genoscoif

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby genoscoif » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 am

I mean...maybe high grade explosives aren't that easy to find now? Maybe resource management would dictate that you don't blow your collective wad on big booms, and rather concentrate on maintaining the little booms? Maybe she was familiar with bomb construction and wiring, but this is the first time they've come across a wired bomb? Maybe she's not an 'expert', but had some idea of what to do, and the reward of obtaining the explosives outweighed the risk?

And why would you not have a problem with the fact that as soon as the wire hit the horde of walkers in between the cars, the negative drag (?) would pull the cars toward the middle, making it impossible to keep driving straight or fast. They would've likely spun out or flipped.

Suspension of Disbelief. It's lovely, and makes headscratching and eyerolling a thing of the past. :fist:

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 am

resources?

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 am

Bombs and computers are completely different. I would expect she could make a gas container bomb with some kind of fuse the way fat joey did. IF SHES AN EXPERT ALL OF A SUDDEN.

I mean if Fat Joey can do it - with what appeared to be an off switch and a trigger, surely she could figure it out - it's not like they don't have the time.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am

resources?
Paint thinner, alcohol, bleach - surely the paint thinner and bleach haven't been completely consumed around the area. I have no experience in it - but I think I could even figure that out if I have some working knowledge of it.

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 am

resources?
Paint thinner, alcohol, bleach - surely the paint thinner and bleach haven't been completely consumed around the area. I have no experience in it - but I think I could even figure that out if I have some working knowledge of it.
this world is certainly light on explosives. I'll give you that. I guess you don't want to attract walkers with loud booms. But 20 gunshots vs 1 pipe bomb...which is worse?

count2infinity

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:13 am

I'm largely just playing devil's advocate here... it's possible she had a very narrow set of skills when it came to explosives. Maybe from the military, maybe from Abraham. Knowing how to disarm a dynamite assembly isn't that far out of the question. I think the bigger gripe would be the sticks of dynamite that didn't look good to her just randomly exploding. Modern dynamite doesn't do that.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:13 am

I don't doubt she can do it - I think if she had that kind of working knowledge they should have used it more. She was able to defuse a bomb without even seeing it - and instructing the others how to disable them.

That's a poorly written plot armor device to move a story along. I'm pretty sure that the military only teaches people how to spot IEDs and not disable them, but I certainly don't doubt she couldn't do it.

That all being said - noticing that fat joey could do that, the group should be worried with that going against the saviours means they're not all idiots either and there's a higher chance of military guys in that group than there are Ricks.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:15 am

3 ass = 1 pipe bomb

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:27 am

All it took to disarm it was unplug the battery. It is not like it was some Mission Impossible situation.

As noted above IED's would be dumb to use in the Walking Dead world. You'd attract every walker within 10 miles to your location.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 am

All it took to disarm it was unplug the battery. It is not like it was some Mission Impossible situation.

As noted above IED's would be dumb to use in the Walking Dead world. You'd attract every walker within 10 miles to your location.
The use of guns in itself is ridiculous then, because nobody knows if large herds even exist anymore. The team has no qualms about wasting ammo when they see fit - when they have guns.

I think the use of explosives like they were planning to do with the large herd is legit - and it was miles away from their facility.

I think when the outbreak first started, yes - there were giant hordes. Now? Now way there's millions of undead left in the area. Especially given how big the saviours group is - it's unlikely that the herd they just demolished would even still exist.

It's all a grain of salt, and I need to stop looking at it realistically.

Gaucho

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 am

Nerd city.

Willie Kool

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I think when the outbreak first started, yes - there were giant hordes. Now? Now way there's millions of undead left in the area. Especially given how big the saviours group is - it's unlikely that the herd they just demolished would even still exist.
It's only been about 2 years since the outbreak. Why wouldn't there still be millions of undead?

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Seems like zombies like to eat people rather than convert them.

For every 10 dead people,how many would turn? 3? 4?

large garlic

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby large garlic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 pm

The issue of the number of zombies is actually one of the reasons I quit watching. It just didn't seem realistic that there would be large number of zombies left this far into the post-apocalyptic world.

Making the numbers easy, assume 300 million population in the US at the time of the zombie outbreak. Say 90% are turned into zombies in the first couple days/weeks, so you've got 270 million zombies and 30 million humans. Suppose that before the humans really figure out how to kill zombies effectively, another 50% of the remaining humans are turned. That gives you 285 million zombies and 15 million humans. But now those surviving humans will have started to figure things out and are probably killing zombies at a regular clip, faster than zombies are killing people, if our Walking Dead heroes are a guide. Then say that those remaining 15 million humans are killing 1 zombie per week on average (some people won't kill any, but people like Darryl or Michonne might be killing dozens). So, the zombie population would be declining at 15 million/week. By that math, it would take less than 20 weeks for zombies to be more or less eliminated.

Gaucho

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Willie Kool

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Make that 382,885 survivors.
Worldwide.

It also shows that initially, the undead outnumbered the living 5000 to 1.

nocera

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am

All this talks make me even more depressed that we didn't get a World War Z Netflix/HBO mini-series.

Morkle

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:33 am

It's only been about 2 years since the outbreak. Why wouldn't there still be millions of undead?
IIRC they've been through at least 2-3 winters.

1 between the farm and prison. 1 while at the prison. 1 between prison and Alexandria.

Someone also did the math awhile ago, that if groups like Rick's existed - they would have wiped out the zombies in like two years due to the amount of killing, decay, cold that would happen.

columbia

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 am

I'd love to see some zombies in a Nor'easter blizzard.

shmenguin

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:44 am

The issue of the number of zombies is actually one of the reasons I quit watching. It just didn't seem realistic that there would be large number of zombies left this far into the post-apocalyptic world.

Making the numbers easy, assume 300 million population in the US at the time of the zombie outbreak. Say 90% are turned into zombies in the first couple days/weeks, so you've got 270 million zombies and 30 million humans. Suppose that before the humans really figure out how to kill zombies effectively, another 50% of the remaining humans are turned. That gives you 285 million zombies and 15 million humans. But now those surviving humans will have started to figure things out and are probably killing zombies at a regular clip, faster than zombies are killing people, if our Walking Dead heroes are a guide. Then say that those remaining 15 million humans are killing 1 zombie per week on average (some people won't kill any, but people like Darryl or Michonne might be killing dozens). So, the zombie population would be declining at 15 million/week. By that math, it would take less than 20 weeks for zombies to be more or less eliminated.
I take umbrage with that 90% are zombies estimate. Zombies eat people. They aren't Christian missionaries. I think 30% tops get turned. The rest get digested or whatever.

Willie Kool

The Walking Dead Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 am

IIRC they've been through at least 2-3 winters.

1 between the farm and prison. 1 while at the prison. 1 between prison and Alexandria.

Someone also did the math awhile ago, that if groups like Rick's existed - they would have wiped out the zombies in like two years due to the amount of killing, decay, cold that would happen.
From Gaucho's link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3y37gL5irs