Marvel Thread (Movies, Comics, etc)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Very good. Lots to unpack, considering it's a super hero movie.

I won't go further until later this weekend.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm

are we taking the stance to post spoilers in spoiler tags?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:55 pm

are we taking the stance to post spoilers in spoiler tags?
I would say that's a yes.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:00 pm

ok good

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Every time I see "spoilers" I just want to post spoilers.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Wow!

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Bring tissues.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:19 pm

It’s killing me not to click on the spoilers

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm

They aren't real spoilers. blackjack's maybe but I think it is obvious going in what his says

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Avoid McCoy's Twitter.

H2P

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Avoid McCoy's Twitter.

H2P

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Apparently China just broke the OW record. China may gross more than the NA for opening weekend of endgame.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Saw it this morning and still feeling blown away by most of what I saw. I'll post some very general non-spoilery thoughts below still in the spoilers because I hope what I say won't color expectations going forward for those of you who haven't seen it yet.
They had an awful lot to unpack and I think they pretty much pulled it off, and I don't think the enormity of what they had to do really set in until the movie ended. There were reveals and turns in the story that I didn't expect at all and almost all of them landed for me. I had a few minor complaints about the way they handled a few things, but I'll wait to see it again before I make a final judgment on that. There were some scenes that I thought were among the best acted of any in the series. There was some humor. There were some scenes that were heartbreaking, some of which really caught me by surprise. There were sequences - particularly in the latter half of the movie - that were absolutely breath-taking. Again, the enormity of what they had to do really came to light and what they created was pretty damn incredible.
If you don't want to read those, I'll just echo DIgitalGypsy66's thoughts and say WOW. Just wow.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:10 am

Holy ****

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:55 am

Holy ****
This.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am

At Tony’s funeral, there was a solo boy standing towards the back. Didn’t recognize him, so I had to dig.

He’s Harley, the kid from IM3. Does it mean anything?

Who knows.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:01 am

At Tony’s funeral, there was a solo boy standing towards the back. Didn’t recognize him, so I had to dig.

Who knows.
Also...
There was no standard Marvel post-credit scene in this one. However, at the end of the credits when the Marvel Studios logo came up, there was the faint sound of metal hammering metal. Some are saying this is just a tribute to Stark and it uses the sounds from the scene in Iron Man when he crafts the first suit in the cave. There are also suggestions that it could be a teaser of a future Iron Man, either Harley (which is why they showed him) or perhaps Morgan several years down the road.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 am

Who knows.
Also...
There was no standard Marvel post-credit scene in this one. However, at the end of the credits when the Marvel Studios logo came up, there was the faint sound of metal hammering metal. Some are saying this is just a tribute to Stark and it uses the sounds from the scene in Iron Man when he crafts the first suit in the cave. There are also suggestions that it could be a teaser of a future Iron Man, either Harley (which is why they showed him) or perhaps Morgan several years down the road.
I believe it sets up the future.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 am

There is so much to unpack from this. So many feels. The major thing that I am trying to wrap my head around atm...
I am having trouble understanding how the 2 Captain Murica timelines played out. Saw this article which kind of goes into depth explaining the "rules" of their time travel and such...

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/26/18518 ... 56iYu5s9Rk

So he creates an alternate "reality" or "thread" where he stays with Peggy... but also the original "reality" where he gets frozen in the ice still has to happen... but at the end he is Old Man Steve... I'm not grapsing how that all comes together so far.

This doesnt affect my overall enjoyment of the movie, but has me scratching my head.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am

I guess I'll be the first to post spoilery thoughts since I couldn't stop thinking about the movie all night. Proceed with caution.
Extra spoiler for extra caution. Double wrap it kids.
As Professor Stoosh said, there was sooooo much to unpack for this movie and I can't believe how well they pulled it off. I don't know exactly where I would rank it at this point. Top five for sure. I thought there was a bit of bloat in the middle of the movie with the time travel storylines, but I honestly don't know how else they could have done it. I knew the time travel stuff was part of the movie, but where it all led to completely subverted any expectations I had.

- It was kind of weird that the mid-credits scene from Captain Marvel wasn't in the movie, but since it was included in trailers I guess it was unnecessary.
- Complete mind **** that the big round table, "let's go kill Thanos" scene from the trailers is basically an epilogue to Infinity War and just further cements the failure of these beloved characters.
- I had concerns with how they were going to deal with Captain Marvel being overpowered. Her barely being in the movie was not what I expected, but I think it worked well.
- Tony starting a family was so nice to see given how miserable everyone else was with the fallout from IW.
- One of the Russo brothers and the guy who created Thanos were the two people talking at Cap's help group.
- Nice to see Thor with an attainable physique. Rocket and Professor Hulk going to get him was pretty humorous.
- I like to think that Doctor Strange knew that the rat was going to bring Scott back.
- There's only six years age difference between little Cassie Lang and five years in the future Cassie Lang, but that girl could pass for her mid-20s. Was kind of jarring.
- I 3000% expected the time travel stuff to be used to reset the clock and go back before Thanos snapped. Accepting that half of the universe was dead for five years and they're just trying to bring them back was a great twist.
- Hail Hydra and America's Ass. Retroactively tying that event into the truths learned in The Winter Soldier was great work.
- I can't believe they killed ScarJo and let **** Jeremy Renner live.
- I wonder how much of the time travel stuff was unused footage versus stuff that needed to be re-shot.
- Quill dancing without the music was great.
- Jarvis was played by the same actor as he was in Agent Carter, marking the first TV to movie crossover in the MCU. Anything else has been movie to TV.
- Going back to the Army base in 1970 was a great moment even before what happened at the end of the movie. Cap's long lost love and Tony finally getting a loving adult moment with his father.
- Holy final battle. Just off the chains fantastic. The long lost heroes coming back. Cap with Mjolnir. Tony hugging Peter Parker. Avengers Assemble. Giant-Man punching some massive creature in the face. It was incredible.
- I have been expecting Captain America to die and pass his shield onto Sam or Bucky since Civil War. Seemed like an obvious path to take the series on. I never expected Tony Stark, let alone with him now being a father, to end up as the martyr who saved the universe. What a moment. Felt like a complete gut punch. It was probably enhanced due to re-watching the entire series last week, but it was quite the emotional moment for me. All those memories of the amazement of the first movie and the anticipation of what was to come, the melancholy feeling of seeing Iron Man 2 with my family a week before I left for boot camp, seeing Iron Man 3 with my brother for his birthday, the way the character built this massive series of movies that has brought so much joy and happiness. Gutting, yet perfect. The man who started it all gets to go out in the series' biggest moment.
- After Tony died and it was revealed that Cap was going to return the stones on his own, I had an inkling that he wouldn't be coming back. Finally that man gets to have some happiness. Gets to have a life. I know it will never happen, but I would love to see a movie (or limited series) that shows the life he ended up having with Peggy. Their dance at the end was perfect.
- I wonder how they're going to use Sam as Captain America.
- I thought the funeral was perfectly done. All of our key players together, throwback to Tony Stark having a heart and his love for cheeseburgers.

- Interesting world this movie sets up for the future of the MCU. That five year time jump with half the universe being gone definitely keeps things interesting and should help make the next phase not seem too familiar. Could see the massive energy bursts associated with the multiple snaps being used as a catalyst for introducing mutants or as something that would attract Galactacus as the next multi-movie major big bad.
- Outside of telling this movie, the decisions made with the three main Avengers makes obvious business sense. RDJ has been doing this forever, is getting old, and Disney is probably tired of paying him $50MM for each movie. Chris Evans has been open about wanting to move on from the role. Thor's best solo outing was the most recent one, so they'd definitely want to make more. The character excels outside of Asgard, is better as a mimbo than a ruler, and has great chemistry and humor with the GOTG crew. Will be interesting to see what role he plays in the future with that group.
- Official death toll: Black Widow (rumored to have a movie coming out), Vision (TV show with Wanda), Loki (TV show), present day Gamora, and Iron Man. I assume the Black Widow movie will be an origin story, the Loki TV could actually deal with him in Hel, using Suri to bring Vision back could be part of their TV show, and the search for 2014 Gamora is probably a big part of GOTG3. I'm sure as hell going to miss Tony Stark and Iron Man though.
- Went to reddit to see if any worthwhile discussion was taking place and the entire thing seemed to be a bunch of angry, pretentious nerds who are nowhere near as smart as they think they are complaining about plot holes and fan service. The fan service was awesome and I didn't really think there were any plotholes given that time travel always makes things messy. Just enjoy the damn movie.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:50 am

There is so much to unpack from this. So many feels. The major thing that I am trying to wrap my head around atm...
I am having trouble understanding how the 2 Captain Murica timelines played out. Saw this article which kind of goes into depth explaining the "rules" of their time travel and such...

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/26/18518 ... 56iYu5s9Rk

So he creates an alternate "reality" or "thread" where he stays with Peggy... but also the original "reality" where he gets frozen in the ice still has to happen... but at the end he is Old Man Steve... I'm not grapsing how that all comes together so far.

This doesnt affect my overall enjoyment of the movie, but has me scratching my head.
I thought of it in the same sense as The Terminator and don't think there's an alternate reality or thread involved. Kyle Reese has to go back in time to father John Conner. The time loop is closed and inevitable. Cap goes into the ice in 45, is brought back like 70 years later as like a 25 year old looking 95 year old man, does his Avengers stuff, goes back in time to 1970 as a 30 year old looking 100 year old man, and then just lives his life with Peggy until as an 85 year old looking 155 year old man he makes sure he's sitting on that bench by the lake shortly after he went back in time to begin with. Present day Cap lives his life with Peggy back in time while he's still stuck in the ice, etc. etc. It's an inevitable time loop.

From the other Cap solo movies we know that Peggy has a husband, though we have no idea who he is or what he looks like, and we know Cap interacts with dying Alzheimer's patient Peggy in the hospital who might have just not known what version of Steve she was talking to. It's possible that the time loop was inevitable to the point that nothing even changed by him going back in time, he was always going to go back in time and was always going to marry her while probably living a very inconspicuous life to avoid notice.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Damn that was good.
Hearing Captain finally get to say Avengers Assemble... gave me chills. As did the whole final battle. Just great stuff.

I cried a good bit towards the end when Iron Man died, and then the Captain America alternate timeline with him and Peggy. Great way to wrap things up. Wouldn't change much at all. Lots to unpack as others have said.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:51 pm

My son was concerned about the returned people, particularly those in high school. Do they repeat it, start where they left off? Everyone else that didn't get snapped is five years older and would be long out of high school.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:51 pm

In order for Peggy Carter to be in her low 20s during First Avenger she would have been born around 1920. So she would have been around 95 in CA:Civil War when she died. Her 50th would be in around 1970.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:51 pm

My son was concerned about the returned people, particularly those in high school. Do they repeat it, start where they left off? Everyone else that didn't get snapped is five years older and would be long out of high school.
It would appear that they pick up where they left off. It's a weird situation, but I imagine a good portion (say half) of the kids are in the same boat.