Marvel Thread (Movies, Comics, etc)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 am

I enjoyed Captain Marvel. Good, not great; definitely in the bottom half of my MCU movie rankings. Thoughts:
- I love Brie Larson. I think she's a great actress, usually seems to have a good sense of humor about things, and I would greatly enjoy a tumble in the sheets with her. To me, Captain Marvel was not an overly likeable character and I don't know if that's on her or just mediocre writing. We see glimpses of the tough, fun loving, seemingly awesome Carol Danvers in flashbacks that are usually free of dialogue, but with Captain Marvel, aside from a couple quips with SLJ, we're pretty much stuck with a near emotionless Kree drone as trained by Yon-Rogg. As she regained memories about her life on Earth I expected a "redemption arc" for her personality, but that just didn't happen.

- Ben Mendelsohn and Jude Law were great. I really enjoyed the villain switch midway through the movie.

- Could have used more Ronan, but it was nice to see a bit of a prequel to the villain in a movie that came out almost 5 years ago.

- Digitally de-aged Coulson is the first time I've been slightly creeped out by the technology. He looked very plasticky.

- Captain Marvel is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered. At least Superman needs to worry about kryptonite. She doesn't have to give two shits about anything and can do whatever she wants. I'm half expecting Endgame to be her flying in reverse orbit of the Earth to go back in time, flying through Thanos right before the snap, and the movie to be over. Something needs to be done to limit her powers; not just for Endgame but for the MCU moving forward if she's to remain a key part of it.

- If she is to remain a key part of the MCU, let's give her some humanity back as well. Vision is a more personable character than she is.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 am

I enjoyed Captain Marvel. Good, not great; definitely in the bottom half of my MCU movie rankings. Thoughts:
- I love Brie Larson. I think she's a great actress, usually seems to have a good sense of humor about things, and I would greatly enjoy a tumble in the sheets with her. To me, Captain Marvel was not an overly likeable character and I don't know if that's on her or just mediocre writing. We see glimpses of the tough, fun loving, seemingly awesome Carol Danvers in flashbacks that are usually free of dialogue, but with Captain Marvel, aside from a couple quips with SLJ, we're pretty much stuck with a near emotionless Kree drone as trained by Yon-Rogg. As she regained memories about her life on Earth I expected a "redemption arc" for her personality, but that just didn't happen.

- Ben Mendelsohn and Jude Law were great. I really enjoyed the villain switch midway through the movie.

- Could have used more Ronan, but it was nice to see a bit of a prequel to the villain in a movie that came out almost 5 years ago.

- Digitally de-aged Coulson is the first time I've been slightly creeped out by the technology. He looked very plasticky.

- Captain Marvel is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered. At least Superman needs to worry about kryptonite. She doesn't have to give two shits about anything and can do whatever she wants. I'm half expecting Endgame to be her flying in reverse orbit of the Earth to go back in time, flying through Thanos right before the snap, and the movie to be over. Something needs to be done to limit her powers; not just for Endgame but for the MCU moving forward if she's to remain a key part of it.

- If she is to remain a key part of the MCU, let's give her some humanity back as well. Vision is a more personable character than she is.
I didn't think the writing was very good in this movie. It definitely had its moments, but overall wasn't great. A big problem I had was the Cap Marvel character didn't have anything or anyone that felt like it was a challenge to her. She went through the nukes and ships at the end and was basically saying woohoo. The biggest moment was when she realized she could control her powers, but besides that there really wasn't even much changer in her character.

Also, because the starforce ended up being bad guys, they couldn't really focus on them too much in the beginning because you don't want them being likeable and then this unstoppable force just destroying them, so that was a bit of a mess.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am

I didn't think the writing was very good in this movie. It definitely had its moments, but overall wasn't great. A big problem I had was the Cap Marvel character didn't have anything or anyone that felt like it was a challenge to her. She went through the nukes and ships at the end and was basically saying woohoo. The biggest moment was when she realized she could control her powers, but besides that there really wasn't even much changer in her character.

Also, because the starforce ended up being bad guys, they couldn't really focus on them too much in the beginning because you don't want them being likeable and then this unstoppable force just destroying them, so that was a bit of a mess.
Agreed. Like I said I enjoyed it, but it was very much "we need to introduce this character and here's a list of things that need to happen" kind of by the numbers MCU movie.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am

I went to a Sunday afternoon showing and I'd say about 90% of the audience was female. Marvel has done an excellent job at putting superheroes on the screen for their respected target which I think is really cool. I am also completed fine with the future of these movies going completely cosmic. Thor, gotg, strange, and now CM. Would love to see a giant space movie with all of them.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 am

Only if they do the thing Leia did in TLJ

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am

works for me, I enjoyed that part immensely.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am

I went to a Sunday afternoon showing and I'd say about 90% of the audience was female. Marvel has done an excellent job at putting superheroes on the screen for their respected target which I think is really cool. I am also completed fine with the future of these movies going completely cosmic. Thor, gotg, strange, and now CM. Would love to see a giant space movie with all of them.
The Eternals is rumored to be next up in the MCU. They are cosmic and weird, so it would fit that story evolution. It seems likely they would try their own attempt at Fantastic Four as well.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:43 am

Stan Lee's cameo spoiler
On the bus, he was reading a script for Mallrats...rehearsing his lines for the film. As Captain Marvel was set in 1995, he was getting ready to film his scene. Nice touch there.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 am

Stan Lee's cameo spoiler
On the bus, he was reading a script for Mallrats...rehearsing his lines for the film. As Captain Marvel was set in 1995, he was getting ready to film his scene. Nice touch there.
Yep, loved that.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

Stan Lee's cameo spoiler
my favorite cameo so far. just wished the guy sitting across the aisle didn't have to explain it to the theater :cry:

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am

going to see cap marvel again with the whole family, I have a feeling that I'll like this movie more the 2nd time around.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:01 am

I had an entire family - with Marvel t-shirts on and everything - get up and leave before the mid-trailer credit scenes.

Are you not...fans of the films? What is wrong with you? :lol:

My youngest son - who rarely speaks up about anything - made eye contact with one of their kids and told them there was a scene coming. They stayed in the aisle to watch because of this. :lol:

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Stan Lee's cameo spoiler
my favorite cameo so far. just wished the guy sitting across the aisle didn't have to explain it to the theater :cry:
I liked the tribute at the beginning thanking Stan.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Stan Lee's cameo spoiler
I liked the tribute at the beginning thanking Stan.
That was awesome.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am

Marvel Studios will be producing a new television series for the Disney+ streaming service based on the popular What If comic book series. The new animated show will be overseen by Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios, but the stories will not be canon in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hit the jump to learn more about the What If TV series.

What If TV Series Coming To Disney+
Like the comics, this animated anthology series will provide stories that explore how the Marvel Cinematic Universe might have unfolded if key moments in its history had not occurred as they did in recognized canon. For example, one of the episodes will adapt What If? Vol.1 #47, which explored the idea of “What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?
https://www.slashfilm.com/what-if-tv-se ... sney-plus/

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:22 am

I have never done a streaming subscription because I don't watch that much, but Disney can take my money when Disney+ goes live.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 am

Oh yeah, we're doing that. For the Star Wars content alone.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Did You Notice The Burning Piano In Captain Marvel? Here’s The Special Meaning Behind It – And Its Connection To A Real Life Hero
Millions of people will be heading to theaters to see Marvel’s new Captain Marvel movie over the next few weeks, but most won’t understand one special image in the movie. Near the beginning of the film, a quick flash of a burning piano is shown on the screen. Marvel movies are known for their detailed backstories and easter eggs, but what’s the deal with the piano, and why are we writing about it on an airshow website?

The piano is actually a tribute to Thunderbird #4, Maj. Stephen “Cajun” Del Bagno. Del Bagno was one of two Thunderbird pilots who consulted on the movie. Fellow Thunderbird pilot Maj. Matt Kimmel was also involved.

Tragically, Del Bagno was killed in a crash in April of 2018, just a week after concluding his work on the film. The team was practicing their airshow routine at Creech AFB near Las Vegas when his jet impacted the ground after failing to recover from a high speed dive.

So why the burning piano? It’s actually a traditional send off for fighter pilots who have “flown west” that, according to fighter pilot lore, dates back to World War II or even earlier. There are variations on the story, but perhaps the most common tale is that a particular RAF pilot was especially good at playing the piano in the squadron clubhouse. When he was killed in battle, his squadron mates realized they would never hear him play again and burned the piano as tribute. It’s not only an appropriate shot to include, it fits perfectly with the lead character’s background; Brie Larson plays Carol Danvers, an Air Force fighter pilot who would know the tradition well.

There are other tributes to Cajun in the film as well. He is mentioned several times in the credit roll, and the filmmakers reportedly snuck his callsign into the background of several scenes. He even has a brief cameo, playing a game of pool with Danvers in a quick flashback. It’s a wonderful gesture to honor him.

Cajun was the slot pilot - #4 in the formation, behind and below the Boss in #1. Cajun's parents lived outside the LA area in Valencia, and part of the Thunderbirds' flyby route took them over their house. As they flew overhead, the current slot pilot pulsed the smoke from his jet four times. That's a cool tribute.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Saw Captain Marvel earlier today. Not bad; not great.

I'm on the fence with Brie Larson. Her performance was all over the place, and I can't really put my finger on why. Don't know if it had to to with the writing, directing, editing, or just her performance. Some scenes she was great, and then others fell flat or were wooden.

That being said, I love the cosmic stuff in the Marvel movies. It just might be my favorite aspect of them. So CM gets a plus from me just for that.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:32 am

for a 3 hour movie coming in a month, I love that we have no idea what's coming from these trailers. Well done Marvel.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

I'm actually considering seeing it in the theaters

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 am

for a 3 hour movie coming in a month, I love that we have no idea what's coming from these trailers. Well done Marvel.
Well, at the very least we know Tony makes it back to Earth.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:36 am

this is true. Saved by Cap Marvel I'm guessing.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am

this is true. Saved by Cap Marvel I'm guessing.
I'm thinking saved by Nebula.