Marvel Thread (Movies, Comics, etc)

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 pm

sounds like endgame is 3 hours and might have an intermission!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Bumping after a one month gap in anticipation of Captain Marvel discussion.

It was two pages back.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Got tickets for Captain Marvel tomorrow at 1:45.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 am

Captain Marvel was super fun. I have a couple nitpicks, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 am

A few spoilers...

Post-credit scenes:
First one shows Captain, Black Widow, and Banner panicking after Fury's pager stops transmitting... only for CM to show up asking where Fury is. This is the more serious one, connecting this movie with Endgame.

Second one is Goose hacking up the Tesseract like a hairball. Hilarious.
Best line:
Mutha-flerken!
Nitpick:
I realize that a good amount of suspension of disbelief is required for superhero movies... literally blowing up an entire fleet by just flying through them was a bit much... Doesn't ruin the movie or anything, but it's a bit OTT for me.
Overall, I thought the movie had a good amount of humor, without overdoing it to the point of becoming a comedy/parody. The 90s stuff hits all the right nostalgia notes for me. I would say overall it is not in the top tier for me, but is a ton of fun ahead of what is certain to be a rough one in Endgame.

Jackson and Larson play well off of each throughout the movie. Goose is awesome as well.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 am

Also, an interesting take on Stan Lee's cameo: https://news.avclub.com/stan-lee-s-capt ... gF_FmNjzi4

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 am

Captain Marvel looking at a $160MM weekend while Alita might make $3MM. Impressive work by Posobiec and his boycott effort. What a **** loser.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am

The dialogue was so bad, I couldn't get through it. I'm not a Larson fan at all, but this looks like a directing issue as much as anything. The legit reviews I've seen say it's okay for general audiences, but character-wise Alita is far and away a better story and has better acting.

The rumour is that Marvel has 2 different cuts of Endgame, depending on the success of this movie.
So it looks like we'll get the version where Brie is the OP hero - not interested in that after following the main characters for so long.
This was the main reason I was rooting for the boycott. That and the awesome rants from That Star Wars Girl.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 am

That rumor was 100% perpetuated by right leaning entertainment sites. Russo Bros. Have already confirmed that the final edit of the movie is done.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Captain Marvel was very enjoyable.

Did you enjoy the movie/character enough for her to be the centerpiece of the MCU moving forward, as has been rumored?

Oh boy. That’s a no. I like the character but she’s too powerful. She’s Superman levels of powerful so I don’t think you can build a real franchise around that kind of character. The only way it works is if they take artistic license with her historical power fluctuations and de-power her a bunch.

Also you don’t have to watch infinity war again. This is a prequel.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Captain Marvel was very enjoyable.

Did you enjoy the movie/character enough for her to be the centerpiece of the MCU moving forward, as has been rumored?

Oh boy. That’s a no. I like the character but she’s too powerful. She’s Superman levels of powerful so I don’t think you can build a real franchise around that kind of character. The only way it works is if they take artistic license with her historical power fluctuations and de-power her a bunch.

Also you don’t have to watch infinity war again. This is a prequel.
Ha, I actually did watching Infinity War last night! That scene where Thor blasts into Wakanda gave me chills.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm

That rumor was 100% perpetuated by right leaning entertainment sites. Russo Bros. Have already confirmed that the final edit of the movie is done.
What about the rumors about cast being unhappy with it? Same?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Saw both of those rumors originating from the same site. Now, with that being said, if Endgame ends up as “overpowered Captain Marvel shows up and saves the day, original character get bent”, I won’t be happy.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Saw both of those rumors originating from the same site. Now, with that being said, if Endgame ends up as “overpowered Captain Marvel shows up and saves the day, original character get bent”, I won’t be happy.
Would certainly hope that isn't the case. The thing is, power alone isn't likely to solve the current problem so there is that.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I didn’t have any issue with AB. I thought her and SLJ as well as Jude Law had good banter. What did anyone expect out of this? It isn’t Oscar bait.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Just got back from Captain Marvel. I thought it was very enjoyable. It was a good origin story, tied in with Infinity War and helps set up End Game... no real complaints from me. Thought the 90's stuff was good and not over done.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 pm

I didn’t have any issue with AB. I thought her and SLJ as well as Jude Law had good banter. What did anyone expect out of this? It isn’t Oscar bait.
Then why pay millions for an Oscar winner that gets outshined by every single other actor in the film, including a cat.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Then why pay millions for an Oscar winner that gets outshined by every single other actor in the film, including a cat.
:roll:

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Cap marvel was pretty good. Slow starting out. Since around 25 years pass between this and where we are at now, I wonder if they make her powers diminish with age as a solution to her being too powerful?

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:27 pm

I would like to know what you think of this review. [youtube]http://youtu.be/zT2ukPqNZLY[/youtube]

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm

I was so glad that someone in the theater felt the need to point out and laugh at every dumb 90s reference during the movie, it really made the viewing experience so much better.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:36 pm

I would like to know what you think of this review. [youtube]http://youtu.be/zT2ukPqNZLY[/youtube]
The only actor/actress that put on a performance through the MCU is RDJ. How should she have been? She’s pretty in line with how the character has been portrayed

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm

I was so glad that someone in the theater felt the need to point out and laugh at every dumb 90s reference during the movie, it really made the viewing experience so much better.
Dude sitting next to me said “nice product placement” when they showed the Blockbuster sign. THERE’S ONE **** BLOCKBUSTER LEFT IN THE COUNTRY YA NTP66 GOBLIN

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am

cap marvel
I liked it enough, but it didn't feel like the movie really kicked into gear until toward the end montage scene of her falling and getting back up. I thought the ending with the draw was great. Yon-Rogg saying I'm so proud of you was so douchey, loved how that scene ended.