Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 am

Reminds me of my honeymoon

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 am

:lol:

Welp, they were back at it this morning. The ladder elevator thing to lift the shingles is right outside my window, which is cool.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am

ladder elevator thing? you mean the youngest guy on the crew?

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am

:lol: No, they have this attachment for their ladder that brings up one bundle at a time. Of course, the youngest guys have to pick it off the lift and schlep it to where the older guys are working.

Man, what a miserable job.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:24 am

Those ladder lift systems are expensive, but I imagine it saves a lot of backs, making it worth every penny.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:24 pm

I wanted to build a platform for my shed that's being delivered in a month or so. Shed company said they would only provide concrete blocks to level. My yard is pretty well sloped, so concrete blocks don't appeal to me.

Went to HD, Lowe's and 84 Lumber today. No 2x8's at any store. Even if they did, the cost for what's basically a deck frame is over $700. F that, give me the concrete blocks.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Day 3 of a supposed one day roof replacement. :face:

Will they finish tonight? Not likely, as they were still tearing down old roofing shingles an hour ago.

Meanwhile, our neighbors across the street using the same company (with a different crew) will certainly have their new roof finished by dark tonight.

One issue is that our shingles hadn’t arrived by the first day they worked, so they couldn’t start putting the new roofing on until yesterday morning...but they stopped work around 3 for some reason.

As long as it’s done by the time this tropical storm comes by early next week, I’ll be good. :lol:

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Installed a smart thermostat today. Found a C-wire in the wall not hooked up, hooked it up on the control board at the proper place, rewired everything. (Turned off at breaker box and switch on the unit before doing this).

Flip all breakers back on... and the LED light not coming on control board. Figured I fried something even if the breaker was off. Got a new AMP for the board... no change.

No one can come out till tomorrow from HVAC places... racking my brain getting frustrated. Then realized there is a toggle switch where the bottom panel goes. With the bottom panel off that switch doesn't get flipped... so no power to the unit. Guess it's a safety feature. Pressed the toggle.. LED lights up. SON OF A .... all cause I didnt put the panel back on. At least all is good now. *sigh*

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:10 pm

:lol: Just remember, that safety switch is only on the bottom panel; the top panel has no switch.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 pm

:lol: Just remember, that safety switch is only on the bottom panel; the top panel has no switch.
Ha.

Felt so dumb. Saved myself the embarrassment and money of an HVAC guy coming out to figure out how dumb I was at least.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:13 pm

On to day four... :face:

I went out to get the mail, and the dudes had a microwave plugged into an outlet by my front door, heating up their lunch. :lol: I had a good laugh at that for some reason.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:22 pm

After my daughter's feet were full of splinters from the rotting play set in our back yard, it was time to pull the trigger on a new one. Unfortunately pretty much everywhere is sold out. Managed to find this though:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-Cas ... ym6934q_YE

Gets here next Friday. Should be a fun weekend (well, probably a full week) project to put it together.
So we were trying to figure out what to do about the old play set. Would have cost us a bit to try and dispose of it. Figured we’d put it on FB marketplace. I knew better than to list it as free. All sorts of weirdos come out of the woodwork for free stuff. But how much? I figured $100 and we’ll see what happens. People were freaking flocking. I had made arrangements for people to stop by and get it and one dude even said “I’ll give you $200 and I can come today to get it.” Jesus. I said “thanks, but the people that were first are on their way now.” they weren’t, but I would feel icky canceling on them.

Tldnr: managed to get paid $100 for something I figured I’d have to pay to get rid of.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:00 pm

I guess today wasn't the best time for my oven to stop working. It's hard as hell finding a decent new oven. Any ideas on how to go about this? I've looked at Don's appliances, Lowes,home depot, beat buy and Samsung website...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:54 pm

I guess today wasn't the best time for my oven to stop working. It's hard as hell finding a decent new oven. Any ideas on how to go about this? I've looked at Don's appliances, Lowes,home depot, beat buy and Samsung website...
Check the circulars for HD, Lowe’s and everyone else for this week and next to see if anything is on sale. Unfortunately, there are no big sale holidays coming up.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Home depot may have a "pre black Friday" sale coming up in a month or two, which is no help...

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 pm

When I bought my stove years ago, I'd already hit up Consumer Reports and done my research in advance, so I went into Sears and walked up to the salesman in the appliance section and said "Hi. I'd like to order a Kenmore stove, model number XYZ123." I was probably the easiest customer that guy had all week.

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 am

Just bought our composite decking material. My goodness that feeling when that payment hits our lowes card lol.

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Just bought our composite decking material. My goodness that feeling when that payment hits our lowes card lol.
Which brand?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Morkle, keep me updated. I'm in the market for maybe next summer or the summer after to have a complete deck renovation.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Anyone have a mold service they recommend? The house we're selling has a little in the attic I need to pay to have removed. The home inspector, who has done a bunch of questionable stuff that has made this whole process more difficult, recommended himself for the job of cleaning it up. Naturally. He's a few counties away, and I don't want to line his pockets any more than we already have.

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Which brand?
Middle of the road Trex with Dekorators (Lowe's brand) Black handrails.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm

Anyone have a mold service they recommend? The house we're selling has a little in the attic I need to pay to have removed. The home inspector, who has done a bunch of questionable stuff that has made this whole process more difficult, recommended himself for the job of cleaning it up. Naturally. He's a few counties away, and I don't want to line his pockets any more than we already have.
F that guy.

A while back I remember hearing ads for "bactronix with an X" but no idea if they're still in biz

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:16 am

After my daughter's feet were full of splinters from the rotting play set in our back yard, it was time to pull the trigger on a new one. Unfortunately pretty much everywhere is sold out. Managed to find this though:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-Cas ... ym6934q_YE

Gets here next Friday. Should be a fun weekend (well, probably a full week) project to put it together.
Walmart and Kidkraft are garbage...

Got a shipping notification, and was excited to start the build. August 7th everything got to my door. Unfortunately, only 4 of the 5 boxes showed up. Walmart had sent me a notification that one box was delayed. I'm pretty patient and had other things to do, but this past weekend I decided to call and get an update.

Turns out that the box wasn't delayed. It was never shipped. The lady on the phone said the note in the system doesn't give details on what happened to the box, but typically when they get that type of note it means something happened behind the scenes "Like a fork truck drove through the box or the box fell off a truck and damaged the goods, ya know... something like that." Okay.... so what are we going to do about this? She asks that I call the manufacturer and request that they send me a new box. Hol' up. You can't do that? You're who I bought this through. YOU call them and request that. Nope, they can't do that.

So I call Kidkraft, the manufacturer. They say it's no problem. Have walmart cancel just that box. Get a receipt for just that box's refund and send it to Kidkraft and they'll send me the new box and charge me directly for the refunded amount... ugh. Okay. Call walmart to get that box canceled. They do it, they send me a new receipt. I send Kidcraft the old receipt and the new receipt. I even do the math for them to show the amount that they need to charge me. They e-mail me back... nope. What they need is a receipt showing exactly how much walmart refunded me. I call walmart... well, they can't do that. They never shipped that box to me which means they never charged me for that box in the first place which means they don't have a refund receipt that they can give me. So now I've sent that information to Kidkraft and I'm awaiting a response.

Why exactly am I the one responsible for going back and forth between walmart and the manufacturer to just get the damn thing that I ordered. Just send it to me. JFC.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:20 am

That's ridiculous.

By the way, I saw this on Reddit today. You could always just build this instead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/**** ... ym_heated/

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:24 am

Holy hell. :lol:

I am to the point where I'm about to load up the boxes that came, take them to the walmart down the street. Drop 'em off, demand a full refund and just build something myself.