Home Improvement Thread

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:49 am

Anyone have experience with replacing a single panel of a garage door? The bottom of our garage door had a bit of an incident with the back of my wife’s car.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Need some caulk where the splash guard meets the paint
Hmm, that's a good call. Thanks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Need some caulk where the splash guard meets the paint
Hmm, that's a good call. Thanks.
Use painters tape on the wall and on the splash guard. Then you'll get razor straight lines and damn near no clean up.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:49 pm

Our wives apparently have similar taste when it comes to bathroom decor.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Anyone have experience with replacing a single panel of a garage door? The bottom of our garage door had a bit of an incident with the back of my wife’s car.
No, but I can't imagine it's that bad to replace, since you can unbolt the roller brackets and pull the panel out, no?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:52 pm

What is that? An adirondack for ants?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Dunno. Found it at Pat Catan's a few trips prior.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 pm

Our wives apparently have similar taste when it comes to bathroom decor.

:lol:

I really want to go with a full blown nautical theme with this bathroom. Netting, a ship's helm, etc

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 pm

I have a delta pop up tub drain stopper that doesn't hold water. This wasn't a problem until lil mac started getting baths in the tub. It's brand new and so is the tub. I've tried everything short of replacing it to no avail. My next move is to contact delta and attempt a warranty claim. Anyone ever deal with this before?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 am

Source of the post I really want to go with a full blown nautical theme with this bathroom. Netting, a ship's helm, etc
We're not there yet, but do have a little nautical wall piece hanging up (vertical ropes with an anchor, sailboat and something else on it).

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:06 am

Nautical seems to be the name of the game for bathroom decor at fifthavenueforumdotcom. Our walls are navy blue, we have a nautical shower curtain, our hand towel rack and tp holder are rusty anchors, and the clock is a tiller.

blackjack68

Home Improvement Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:10 am

Our fourth bedroom/computer room is our "Jamaica Room." Found a paint called Jamaican Sea and it's decorated with signs, paintings and wood carvings we purchased in Jamaica over the years.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Our fourth bedroom/computer room is our "Jamaica Room." Found a paint called Jamaican Sea and it's decorated with signs, paintings and wood carvings we purchased in Jamaica over the years.
This is a cool concept.

Yeah, I think the nautical theme just lends itself well to bathrooms. I love collecting miniature lighthouses.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:23 pm

We have a ton of OBX stuff in the house given that we lived there and got married at one of the lighthouses. Our bathroom is on an antique bicycle theme, though.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:33 pm

bathroom is usually the only room with standing water so makes sense

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 pm

blackjack68

Home Improvement Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:01 pm

No hats with the fake dreads were used in the design of the room.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:22 pm

What are my fellow FAF'ers using to lock up their abodes? I have a front door with a fairly substantial window in it and a sliding glass back patio door. The front door has a Kwikset single-sided deadbolt, and the back door has the utterly crap lock in the door handle coupled with device at the bottom of the door that blocks the track when extended. Kwikset locks are at the low end of quality, and Schlage locks are better but not that much better. Both are vulnerable to picking, drilling, bumping, and similar attacks.

I thought about going with a higher-security lock for the front door like a Medeco or Bowley*, but given the gaping vulnerabilities offered by the sliding rear door, I decided instead to install a Schlage electronic lock. When I broke my ankle last year, it occurred to me that since I live alone, it might be a good idea to have a lock where I could give the code to get in to 9-1-1 so that, for example, paramedics wouldn't have to break the door down. It's not a very secure lock, but I don't see much use in putting a tough deadbolt on the front door when someone could just walk around back (not viewable from the street) and just smash the glass in the sliding doors.

*If you've never heard of this company, Bowley makes super unique locks that I ran across because they sent locks to the two leading lockpicking YouTubers (Bosnianbill and LockPickingLawyer) for testing. The locks are so neat that I really wish I had some use for one of their door locks or padlocks. https://www.bowleylockcompany.com/

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:24 am

Yale Assure 226 (Z-Wave Plus), connected to my Samsung SmartThings hub. I have a SmartApp that lets me manage and maintain door codes, so each of us has our own code. I can set alerts on when certain codes are used, create temp codes that last for a set time (for contractors), etc. Couple that with a door sensor, and I can make sure that door is always locked.

Some of that stuff you can do natively with the smart lock, but the app just takes it to a whole new level.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:05 am

I thought about going with a higher-security lock for the front door like a Medeco or Bowley*, but given the gaping vulnerabilities offered by the sliding rear door,
High security locks are never worth it on a house, unless you also plan to have an alarm system with contacts on every window. If a burglar even recognized a Medeco lock and knew what it was, they'll just break a window instead. And they also won't stop a drill bit, lol. 1/8" drill bit is often all you need, if you know right were to drill.

Not to mention, you need to have a local locksmith as a source for your Medeco products, and for the ability make extra keys.

Those Bowley locks are pretty cool, though.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:06 am

Yale Assure 226 (Z-Wave Plus), connected to my Samsung SmartThings hub. I have a SmartApp that lets me manage and maintain door codes, so each of us has our own code. I can set alerts on when certain codes are used, create temp codes that last for a set time (for contractors), etc. Couple that with a door sensor, and I can make sure that door is always locked.

Some of that stuff you can do natively with the smart lock, but the app just takes it to a whole new level.
That's a pretty sharp looking lock. I'd like to get one of those on our deck door someday, since that's are most common means of entry.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 am

Also, if you'd like to have some digital products that also looks great, Baldwin is always a good choice.

https://www.baldwinhardware.com/

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:48 am

I thought about going with a higher-security lock for the front door like a Medeco or Bowley*, but given the gaping vulnerabilities offered by the sliding rear door...
You could upgrade that back door to laminated glass...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:42 am

Source of the post High security locks are never worth it on a house, unless you also plan to have an alarm system with contacts on every window.
:thumb: to @Kane on advice earlier on with regards to locks. This is one main reason why I didn't force myself to go with Schlage. The Yale was just so much sleeker and modern, which is what I wanted. This Yale is super quiet, too, which can't be said for the Schlage equivalent (not that this matters too much).

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am

If rates keep dropping, I might refinance my mortgage for a third time. I didn't think I'd be saying that with my current 3.125% 20-year mortgage, but the lowest 20-year right now is the same rate, and 15s are now around 2.9% with basically no lender fees. If the 15 drops to 2.8, I'm pulling the trigger.