Home Improvement Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 am

After much deliberation, I'm going to rule that tips-outs being a good thing is a bad take. Most things that are kept in there are going to be at least a little bit wet and I don't think closing something in a drawer helps with drying them out.
I thought about that ahead of time, and couldn't find a single review (out of 500+) that mentioned any mold issues, and the reviews go back years. I don't know if the polystyrene used in the trays is mildew resistant, but they are easily removed and dishwasher safe. As for airflow, unless your cabinets are air tight, that shouldn't be a major concern. Most competent people also won't put a completely soaked sponge back into the tray, too.
Still not sold. The tray being mildew resistant is irrelevant. The sponge is the issue.

Part of me thinks I am against it because I am against sponges in general and I don't have a use for the tipouts anyway. I have nothing to keep in there

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am

Gotcha. But that leads me to the obvious question: what do you use to clean stuff in your sink if you don't use sponges?

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 am

My wife, of course.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

I hope she reads that and throat kicks you.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am

Gotcha. But that leads me to the obvious question: what do you use to clean stuff in your sink if you don't use sponges?
We use rags that are one and done - one round of dishes then put into the dirty laundry. A stray plate or two is rinsed with the sprayer and placed in dishwasher.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am

:lol:

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm

We use rags that are one and done - one round of dishes then put into the dirty laundry. A stray plate or two is rinsed with the sprayer and placed in dishwasher.
I'm going to say that you are in the very small minority here on your dishwashing methods.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:13 pm

back to c2i's excellent craftsmanship of the dresser a few pages back, does anyone have a book recommendation for woodworking/table saw beginner?

i have a fairly decent (rigid, 15amp 10in) table saw and some leftover decking materials so i wanted to build something but dont want to rip my hands off

shmenguin

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

After much deliberation, I'm going to rule that tips-outs being a good thing is a bad take. Most things that are kept in there are going to be at least a little bit wet and I don't think closing something in a drawer helps with drying them out.
I thought about that ahead of time, and couldn't find a single review (out of 500+) that mentioned any mold issues, and the reviews go back years. I don't know if the polystyrene used in the trays is mildew resistant, but they are easily removed and dishwasher safe. As for airflow, unless your cabinets are air tight, that shouldn't be a major concern. Most competent people also won't put a completely soaked sponge back into the tray, too.
Still not sold. The tray being mildew resistant is irrelevant. The sponge is the issue.

Part of me thinks I am against it because I am against sponges in general and I don't have a use for the tipouts anyway. I have nothing to keep in there
it's partly because you are a weirdo yes. but i've never seen a tip out that didn't look filthy. i have one, but i don't keep anything in there. that's what the cabinet under the sink is for. it's already damp and slightly gross under there. let it ride.

slappybrown

Home Improvement Thread

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 pm

This is a good take by shmengy -- meow is both a weirdo but also tip out drawers dont matter and are of little utility.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

I'll take it

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:51 pm

I'll take it.
FTFY.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:59 am

I guess this goes here? No clue...

Anyone have a good suggestion for an indoor/outdoor thermometer? Something that I can put a sensor outside, the main screen is inside, and it also has the indoor temp/conditions? Humidity, forcasting, etc would just be gravy on top.

slappybrown

Home Improvement Thread

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 am

Anyone have a good suggestion for an indoor/outdoor thermometer? Something that I can put a sensor outside, the main screen is inside, and it also has the indoor temp/conditions? Humidity, forcasting, etc would just be gravy on top.
I have this one:

https://www.dkhardware.com/btu-digital- ... FgQAvD_BwE

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 am

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

We sold a selection of these at RadioShack.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00611A3- ... 001B35APA/ looks nicer and less expensive than what we sold.

Personally I'd prefer a wired solution if possible, so I'd buy this: https://www.amazon.com/BALDR-Wired-Ther ... 0753L8Q94/

Those are entry level products that do temp, and the one does humidity. You can spend a bunch more to get more features, bigger screens, etc. A barometer would be cool.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 am

We've had this one for at least 10 years.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-71486 ... swod1F8Avg

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 am

I might get one of those my damn self.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:59 pm

I've had a La Crosse model for about 10 years. In addition to the features on the one WK has above, mine also has indoor/outdoor humidity, barometric pressure, pressure history, min/max temperature, and weather-forecast icons. I think it's pretty accurate, although every once in a while it will tell me that it somehow recorded a maximum temperature of over 130°.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 am

I went ahead and had my house reassessed by the bank in hopes of dropping the PMI payment and the escrow account. If successful, I could reduce my mortgage payment by $450 a month.

I've owned the house for 2.5 years, put 10% down, and have put in new windows. If I consider the house has appreciated just a small amount, there was no reason to believe I would be above the 80% loan to value ratio requirement set by the bank.

Got an email stating the assessment came in at only $5000 more than the assessment when I bought the house 2.5 years ago. That's absolute bs. The housing market in my area has been doing very well in the past 2.5 years, and the cost of putting in new windows was more than 4x this increase.

No doubt there's some collusion going on between the banks and the assessor, as it's in both of their best interest to under sell the house at this point. Any way I can fight this?

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 am

Probably not. I hate the appraisal process. It cost me over a thousand dollars when we lost a house due to a low appraisal.

shmenguin

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

I went ahead and had my house reassessed by the bank in hopes of dropping the PMI payment and the escrow account. If successful, I could reduce my mortgage payment by $450 a month.

I've owned the house for 2.5 years, put 10% down, and have put in new windows. If I consider the house has appreciated just a small amount, there was no reason to believe I would be above the 80% loan to value ratio requirement set by the bank.

Got an email stating the assessment came in at only $5000 more than the assessment when I bought the house 2.5 years ago. That's absolute bs. The housing market in my area has been doing very well in the past 2.5 years, and the cost of putting in new windows was more than 4x this increase.

No doubt there's some collusion going on between the banks and the assessor, as it's in both of their best interest to under sell the house at this point. Any way I can fight this?
The life of an appraiser:

1) get street address
2) go on Zillow and find other houses in the neighborhood with similar sq ft have sold for.
3) ignore any finishings or unique properties of home
4) write up a stupid report with your "findings"

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am

The life of an appraiser:

1) get street address
2) go on Zillow and find other houses in the neighborhood with similar sq ft have sold for.
3) ignore any finishings or unique properties of home
4) write up a stupid report with your "findings"
#2 is wrong, since I'm pretty sure they use the MLS. Otherwise, pretty spot on. I don't even know why they bother showing up to look at the house.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:50 am

when i bought my house, the appraisal was basically - similar house down the street sold for $X, your house is worth $X. The good thing was I offered $X+6k, so I got the price lowered by $6K. I am worried however when I sell it won't matter one bit any improvements I made. Which is kinda lame