Home Improvement Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:14 pm

Welp, the HVAC guy told us to call an electrician. Supply line under that connector was melted. Probably a short. Fortunately, it's covered under the 2 year builder's warranty. But going on day 2 of no heat, which isn't great. Pretty mild here during the day, but it's going to drop to around freezing overnight.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:55 am

I maybe had a similar thing happen to my electric stove. If the connection gets loose or corroded somehow, the increased resistance generates heat, and the heat can easily melt wires or connectors. In my case the 240-volt cord comes into the back of the stove and bolts into a terminal block. One of the nuts for the cord was loose, and it heated up to the point where the terminal block melted and the bolt tipped over and came into contact with a second bolt, which caused a very loud and bright flash and a release of magic smoke. Fortunately, it didn't otherwise damage the stove, and a new cord and a new terminal block fixed it.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:19 pm

Our dishwasher has been acting weird for a few months now. We’d set the cycle, hit Start, and close the door to kick things off. Every once in a while, it would start the cycle and then a few seconds later just shut off. Restarting the cycle always worked.

Replaced the door latch, issue remained. Replaced the control board today, and it’s a totally different experience. There are new icons on the LED screen that we have never seen before. Instead of counting down the total time, it now counts down each cycle’s timer. And right now it just says “washing”, but I really don’t hear much going on.

Gonna give it another 20 minutes to see if it does anything else. If not, I’ll swap the old board back in and just wait for a sale on the Bosch Benchmark.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:34 pm

Yeah, this thing is still busted. Cycle ran for 33 minutes and just stopped on “washing”. President’s day sales are still going on, so I’ll be buying that Bosch tomorrow.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:11 pm

Best Buy is like $200 cheaper than HD or Lowe's on the installation cost of this Bosch dishwasher. Gonna call Gerhard's tomorrow about their pricing, because their site doesn't provide actual estimates for this.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:52 pm

When I replaced the control board on my GE there were 8 pins that you had to place connectors over in a unique way to match your model. There were like 12-14 different combinations. It came with a chart and diagrams for each model.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:27 am

When I replaced the control board on my GE there were 8 pins that you had to place connectors over in a unique way to match your model. There were like 12-14 different combinations. It came with a chart and diagrams for each model.
That doesn't appear to be the case for my dishwasher, though I'll do a little more digging. I was looking at the install instructions for the Bosch last night, and saw that it required a minimum of 33 7/8" for install. That is exactly what I have. However, the plumber who worked on my house comes back to haunt me again. This monkey's ass ran the water line up too far away from the wall, so it would end up being covered by the base on the Bosch. So I'm SOL.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:01 am

Electrician finally came out (under warranty) and promptly blamed the HVAC installer for not properly seating the power line to the disconnect. This arced off of the metal fitting, melted down that wire and nearly burned through the hot power line coming in from the breaker box. They replaced the entire disconnect, and all is well.

The electrician also noticed that the HVAC installers wrote 45 amps on the air handler, but the breaker only has a 40 amp circuit breaker on it. Same with the outdoor unit - 20 amp circuit breaker, rated for 25 amp. They will be upgrading both, as it's not up to spec. That's interesting...I would have never known about that.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:54 am

I maybe had a similar thing happen to my electric stove. If the connection gets loose or corroded somehow, the increased resistance generates heat, and the heat can easily melt wires or connectors. In my case the 240-volt cord comes into the back of the stove and bolts into a terminal block. One of the nuts for the cord was loose, and it heated up to the point where the terminal block melted and the bolt tipped over and came into contact with a second bolt, which caused a very loud and bright flash and a release of magic smoke. Fortunately, it didn't otherwise damage the stove, and a new cord and a new terminal block fixed it.
This exact same thing happened to me twice on a new stove. It was still under warranty and LG sent the wrong part so many times, that they finally offered me a full refund. after that I went to the hardware store and fixed it for $10.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:51 pm

Just moved 3 mattresses and 3 box springs - half of which were heavy ass Tempurpedic stuff - from the basement to the curb. Every part of my upper body is screaming right now.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:30 pm

Yeah, this thing is still busted. Cycle ran for 33 minutes and just stopped on “washing”. President’s day sales are still going on, so I’ll be buying that Bosch tomorrow.
We've loved our Bosch since we got it last year

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:42 pm

We've loved our Bosch since we got it last year
I have never heard a bad word about their dishwashers outside of price. I’m unfortunately not going to be able to go that route.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:56 pm

Just moved 3 mattresses and 3 box springs - half of which were heavy ass Tempurpedic stuff - from the basement to the curb. Every part of my upper body is screaming right now.
Hopefully you made sure your trash hauler accepts taking that stuff because mine doesn't.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:57 pm

Yeah mine will take one. Not 6 lol

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm

Hopefully you made sure your trash hauler accepts taking that stuff because mine doesn't.
I paid for large item pickup. My township has an online form to fill out where you can check a ton of options and select quality. $50 for all of those to be picked up tomorrow.

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm

I will not be bringing another mattress set into my house that doesn’t have a split box spring.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:23 pm

I will not be bringing another mattress set into my house that doesn’t have a split box spring.
lol, Tempurpedic uses split box springs. They are heavy as **** thanks to how much solid wood they use to build them.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pm

I paid for large item pickup. My township has an online form to fill out where you can check a ton of options and select quality. $50 for all of those to be picked up tomorrow.
Nice to have that as an option

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:33 am

I'll tell you one good thing about moving - it forces you to purge unwanted bullshit. The electrician was blown away about how little **** we had in our attic. He was shocked he could even get over to the air handler to work on the wiring :lol:

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 am

Unless I rerouted the water line, which I could probably do myself, the only brand that sells a dishwasher that would meet all requirements is GE. They allow 4" of space from the wall to the unit for utility connections, and the pipe is about 3.5" away right now.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:39 am

I have never used or know how to work a dishwasher and I actually look forward to doing the dishes by hand.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 am

I still hand wash a number of items, and do kinda enjoy it, but I don't want to stand there doing dishes all night long.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am

I never had a dishwasher in my life until we moved into our current house. We were too poor to have one growing up, and any place I had or rented as an adult didn't have one either. I

wouldn't give it up for anything now though. We still was some things by hand that are out of necessity, but being able just to toss stuff in the dishwasher and hit a button and it be done is something I don't want to give up haha.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:36 pm

The prior owners of my house installed an "under sink" dishwasher, which only GE made and which they have now stopped making. If it craps out, I'd need to re-do my kitchen counters and drawers in order to buy a regular one.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm

My parents refused to use the dishwasher for years in the misguided notion that it used more energy. Drove me nuts.