Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:32 am

I'm going to verify the space in the area I store my current snowblower, but if it works, I think I'm going to grab an Ariens 24" 2-stage.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:08 am

I'm mostly happy with my Ring Doorbell Pro, FWIW.
Probably not the thread for this but is there a monthly sub? If so, can I ask how much?
Only if you want some of the upgraded features, like 60-day video history (the biggest perk, IMO) and People only mode. Here's a comparison: https://ring.com/protect-plans

I do have the basic plan, and have gone back multiple times to find out what happened with something, like when my neighbor's car was hit. It's cheap enough that I'm good with paying for it.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:12 am

I'm mostly happy with my Ring Doorbell Pro, FWIW.
Probably not the thread for this but is there a monthly sub? If so, can I ask how much?
Only if you want some of the upgraded features, like 60-day video history (the biggest perk, IMO) and People only mode. Here's a comparison: https://ring.com/protect-plans

I do have the basic plan, and have gone back multiple times to find out what happened with something, like when my neighbor's car was hit. It's cheap enough that I'm good with paying for it.
Thanks. $30/year is much cheaper than I was expecting.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:15 am

Yeah I have the ring pro plan.. def worth it. We also have the ring security system as well with the pro protection, so it's all covered for the same cost on a yearly basis or whatever. It's cheap for the value you get. I think it's 100$/a year and it covers every ring device we have.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:17 am

More money (and data!) to Amazon though.

I'm wondering if I could rig something together with a Raspberry Pi.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:08 am

I procured a chamberlain MyQ system yesterday after being locked out of my house riding home with my mom.

So to do multiple garage doors do you just need one additional sensor? Or do you need two whole kits?

Anyone else have one of these and like it?

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:23 am

I procured a chamberlain MyQ system yesterday after being locked out of my house riding home with my mom.

So to do multiple garage doors do you just need one additional sensor? Or do you need two whole kits?

I have a Chamberlain MyQ garage opener and like it. It's only one opener though, so no idea how you'd do 2. My kids still get a kick out of me opening the door with my phone. It's also nice to get an alert when the door hasn't closed after a certain period. Came in handy a couple times.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:04 am

I have a Chamberlain MyQ garage opener and like it. It's only one opener though, so no idea how you'd do 2. My kids still get a kick out of me opening the door with my phone. It's also nice to get an alert when the door hasn't closed after a certain period. Came in handy a couple times.
We have one as well. It's on two garage bays that the previous owner installed. I'm not sure if there is two sensors or not, but we have two separate openers installed in the garage, and on my phone with the app I can open or close either garage and get alerts etc.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:16 am

We have one too. One of my favorite things about it is the automation - if the door is left open at 11PM, it will shut automatically. Very handy with kids playing outside etc. and forgetting to shut the door.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 am

I keep thinking about adding sensors to my SmartThings system, but just can't justify it.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:42 am

I have a smart switch I need to get around to installing. We have a light above the sink that we turn on/off every single day, but often forget to turn off in the AM so it's on all day. It's recessed a bit and hard to see unless it's dark. I'm going to put the smart switch in and just program it to sunset/sunrise. Which is great because the switch itself is slightly behind the microwave and hard to get to.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:52 am

We have one as well. It's on two garage bays that the previous owner installed. I'm not sure if there is two sensors or not, but we have two separate openers installed in the garage, and on my phone with the app I can open or close either garage and get alerts etc.
It looks like I need 1 hub but 2 sensors to control the garage doors. It's NBD - I rarely use the one door (lawn mower side).

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:20 pm

I’ve spent the last two days ripping up ceramic tile. I can definitely say that’s going to the top of my list to never do again.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:52 pm

MyQ system was very very easy to install. Probably will hold off on grabbing a second sensor, but seems that's all you need to add. Unboxed and working in less than 10 minutes.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 pm

I posted a week or so ago about our door handle being jammed. Well I unjammed it last week and just left the handle on. The match assembly was broke and turning the handle didn't move the latch at all.

Yale sent us a new handle and latch assembly for free out that on today and all is good again. Hoping this one lasts longer than 8 months.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:49 pm

I'm putting a closet in our den to make better use of a weird alcove that was built-in near the fireplace. The issue is the header was 83.5 inches high and all closet doors at the big box stores are 80". So I built a 3.5" header over the weekend and started to blend it into the old wall/header. I have a bad feeling that my mudding skills are going to be on display once this is painted. Watched a crap ton of youtube videos but that skill is more like an art to me.
Update:

I ended up hiring a friend to do the mudding. Looks immaculate, even after painting. Problem is, the header is 1/4" too low on one side. The right side closet door went in fine, but looks like I'm going to have to skim 1/2" off the other door to get it to fit in.

Why does every project turn into a major project?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 pm

Cause we stink at home improvements

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:06 am

OK, folks. I have amazingly noisy gutters. They are 4" aluminum downspouts. I am a chronic light sleeper, and at times over the last year, an insomniac.

It's been made worse this year because our new roof dampens the noise, making the gutter dripping even louder. Steady rainfall is fine, but drizzle or the hours-after dripping is terrible. Imagine someone standing next to your bed clanking a cowbell all night.

I added a piece of carpet to the 90°endpiece, which didn't work well. I also tried spray foam insulation...which didn't work and rendered the endpiece useless. I pulled the endpiece off and swapped it with a plastic adjustable one - which also gets the drainage away from the house. This is the current setup, and not working well. I've been sleeping on a twin mattress in my FROG since Thursday lol.

Next up, I'm going to pull the whole downspout off and be done with it, unless yinz have any ideas?

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:17 am

Never thought I’d be thinking about how to dampen the sound of downspouts.

My suggestion would be to get that foam inserts that they make that keeps leafs out of the gutter and start shoving it up the downspout. That’ll make the raindrops plinko down to the end and hopefully reduce their speed enough to quiet it. You’ll have to clean the debris out periodically I would assume.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 am

Q: what would be the easiest fix to meow's house to make it a better house

A: Force meow to leave BOOM instant niceness.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 am

What a jerk thing to say. Jerk

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am

I'm a moron about this kind of stuff but my first thought was to coat it with some kind of rhino lining, if possible. Maybe even buy a new downspout and have someone coat it before you hang it.

Joegap

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Joegap » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:02 am

Anybody have any recommendations for getting ice off of a newer concrete driveway?

We just got our concrete driveway in September, I bought some calcium chloride however my research is saying that still may be harmful to the driveway. Looking for any suggestions, maybe sand? I am getting desperate lol my driveway is a sheet of ice.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am

I have always used calcium chloride because it's better on this stuff than rock salt, etc.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 am

Anybody have any recommendations for getting ice off of a newer concrete driveway?

We just got our concrete driveway in September, I bought some calcium chloride however my research is saying that still may be harmful to the driveway. Looking for any suggestions, maybe sand? I am getting desperate lol my driveway is a sheet of ice.
I used to use sand for fear of destroying my driveway. A few things about sand:

- It will provide traction, but not melt the ice
- It will get inside the garage and house as it will not "melt" away
- It is, otherwise, a cheap and effective alternative to salt