Home Improvement Thread

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:27 pm

I really don't like my GE dishwasher but at the same time it runs legitimately once a day. Probably more like an average of 6 times a week. I swear the layout of the racks is so odd though orrrr I just have some very weird shaped dinnerware. But nothing ever stacks in it neatly like my moms fiesta ware does in her Kenmore dishwasher.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:21 am

The rack looks similar to my Frigidaire Gallery, so I don't think I'd have any issues there. They also fold down in case you have an oddly shaped object. This is the one I'm looking at: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Profile-Sma ... 1001054508

New CSP card should arrive in the next few days, so I'll wait until then to decide.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:50 am

We went to Best Buy yesterday to look at dishwashers. The GE looked decent, but my wife didn't like the fact that there were no stem/cup holders in the top rack, which she uses often. The other, more pressing issue was the fact that the spray wand below the top rack would not be able to spin above our dishes. We actually found that this would be the case for basically every dishwasher that had that 3rd utensil rack outside of one KitchenAid model. So we basically just decided to stick with our current dishwasher, and I'll just replace parts as I need to.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:09 am

You have some massive dishes or something lol

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:11 am

Our GE would intermittently lose power and then randomly come back to life. Wasn't a home wiring problem near as we could tell. Finally it stopped coming back to life so I bought a new power control board. Worked perfectly for about four days, then started having the same problems and now about 2 weeks later its dead again. At $150 for a board, it seems the smart move is to just buy a new dishwasher.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:43 am

You have some massive dishes or something lol
They're 11.25 inches in diameter, which I can't imagine is terribly large. Our old set is the same diameter. The issue is the space required by that third rack. Thinking about it, I don't think I'd ever use that rack. When we unload the dishwasher, we take the utensil tray out and bring it over to the counter. It'd be dumb to just grab handfuls of **** and walk them over if you used that rack. Bosch's tray is tiny, but GE's was nice. I believe it was KitchenAid that had a 3rd rack that allowed you to grab the tray and remove it.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 am

Our GE would intermittently lose power and then randomly come back to life. Wasn't a home wiring problem near as we could tell. Finally it stopped coming back to life so I bought a new power control board. Worked perfectly for about four days, then started having the same problems and now about 2 weeks later its dead again. At $150 for a board, it seems the smart move is to just buy a new dishwasher.
My board is about $150, too, but I found them on eBay for as low as $40 used and $80 new - definitely don't get it on Amazon, PartSelect.com, etc. I'm probably going to buy that used $40 control board that I found since it's the exact replacement, not Frigidaire's "compatible" model.

And seeing as how the dishwashers we were looking at were about $1k, I don't know that I'd consider upgrading the smart move, lol.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 am

My GE top rack has two settings, higher and lower. Other than a huge cutting board or big pot lid I don't have any issues with it hitting. I just put those items on the outside edges.

I will say though I'm not a fan of the GE dishwasher but we bought the whole matching line. I replaced the control board (on top of the door) for the same issue CBear mentioned. I also had a leak that was from some dry rotted rubber molded onto a plastic sump. Terrible design. So far I've put like $250-300 into this dishwasher in parts in 5 years. But it literally runs 6-7 times a week so, it gets used HARD

Beveridge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 am

Very interesting that the spray wand below the 2nd rack wouldn't have enough space. I only run into that issue with large griddle plates or pizza pans that I have to lay at an angle. Our plates are large and have no issues with that.

Did you look at whirlpool models?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:57 am

The original issue I described is really the only big one, and even then it's not a show stopper. The lower rack seals did wear out and we had a few drips of water one time, but the replacement parts are $6, so I'll replace them as-needed and be on my way.

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:19 am

My board is about $150, too, but I found them on eBay for as low as $40 used and $80 new - definitely don't get it on Amazon, PartSelect.com, etc. I'm probably going to buy that used $40 control board that I found since it's the exact replacement, not Frigidaire's "compatible" model.

And seeing as how the dishwashers we were looking at were about $1k, I don't know that I'd consider upgrading the smart move, lol.
I'm a lot cheaper, thinking the $600 models. Hadn't checked Ebay yet, I'll give that a try

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:15 pm

Really looking forward to how much energy our solar panels are going to produce this spring/summer. Yesterday was the best day in terms of production/export since the install. You can see exactly when the sun is obstructed by the trees behind my house, and when it clears the trees in late afternoon.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 am

Thermostat says 67
Thermometer says 62 in the house
The kangaroo says what the f

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 am

ulf says you need a new thermostat

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:43 am

Where is your thermostat in your house? We use sensors in rooms because our actual thermostat is on a wall that is by a tv and near our kitchen so it gets warmer there than in the rest of the house quicker just because of where it is placed.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:57 am

The thermostat usually is fine.

The furnace appears to be not furnacing

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:04 am

Ohhh...just blowing room temp air or no air at all? Not sure how old your furnace is but outside of it being something simple like a flame sensor (which is easy to check) I'd just call someone. At least after today it's not going to be super cold.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:09 am

air is blowing but it is lukewarm.

About 3 years ago I fixed a problem with a sensor or a clogged tube or something. I am not a handy person but I was able to fix it after becoming an expert watching YouTube. So I’m going to take care of a few work related things then fuss with the furnace

genoscoif

Home Improvement Thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 am

They are replacing the gas lines in our neighborhood. Lines run down our street and into our front yard, right under box hedges that we have that separate our front yard from the street. Will also run through our driveway. They turned the corner this week and are heading down toward us...about 3 houses up as we speak. My wife has a doctor's appt. today at noon that she absolutely cannot reschedule, and won't be back til probably 3. Road closed signs are basically blocking us in. Tried to flag down a guy to ask him if she'd be okay (i.e. not a 18 inch wide 3 foot deep canyon in our driveway) and he basically drove right past.

Funny thing is we've known this was coming. They've been in the area for weeks, and flagged all the lines like a month ago. Thing is...we never received any letter or other notification minus one automated message saying to refer to the letter that was never sent, but we found the sample letter online. There are no dates referenced, no direction, no 'no parking' signs, nothing. Just a crew digging. It's mildly infuriating that we don't know whether we're going to be completely blocked in at any time.

Also, no confirmation that they're going to replace what they rip up. They won't be able to replace fully mature and integrated box hedges. Our neighbor has an electric fence for his doggo and called...couldn't get an answer.

grr

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Called the furnace guy. Taking an L today fellas

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:55 pm

sad

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:19 am

Called the furnace guy. Taking an L today fellas
Hopefully just a faulty flame sensor. I think we need to replace ours, there have been a couple mornings lately where I've come downstairs and had to turn the thermostat down and back up to restart the cycle.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:30 am

Source of the post Hopefully just a faulty flame sensor.
Could also be a clogged burner tube. The ignitor is at the other end of the burner tubes, and each tube fires up one by one until the final one at the flame sensor. Before I replaced the burner tubes in mind, that final tube would get clogged with rust and fail to light, and since the sensor didn't detect a flame, it'd shut off the gas and the furnace would run cold. The LED on the furnace board will blink to indicate this.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:20 am

The inducer was lame and not pulling enough air to close the pressure switch.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:41 am

I hate it when that happens