Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am

Great work!

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 am

Yeah, that looks great. That would probably be my choice if I wanted to replace a dated tile tub area.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am

My first house I decided to completely redo my bathroom (i.e. stripped down to the studs), and it looked almost exactly like your old setup skullman. Except, envision brown tile and a yellow tub. The biggest PITA was fitting in the shower surround. I was never 100% pleased with the results, as the glue didn't adhere in certain spots in the middle of the surround. It never leaked, just bubbled out. Did your guy just glue the surround on top of the old tile?

Replacing the fixtures were also troublesome. Sweating in a new water manifold took quite some time to get leak-free.

It was a good experience for a first time homeowner on a house I really didn't care too much about. No way would I go through something like that again, though.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 am

My first house I decided to completely redo my bathroom (i.e. stripped down to the studs), and it looked almost exactly like your old setup skullman. Except, envision brown tile and a yellow tub. The biggest PITA was fitting in the shower surround. I was never 100% pleased with the results, as the glue didn't adhere in certain spots in the middle of the surround. It never leaked, just bubbled out. Did your guy just glue the surround on top of the old tile?

Replacing the fixtures were also troublesome. Sweating in a new water manifold took quite some time to get leak-free.

It was a good experience for a first time homeowner on a house I really didn't care too much about. No way would I go through something like that again, though.
As far as I know yeah he just put it over the old tile. Nothing got taken out per say, just everything laid over top. They came and took measurements about a month or so before the install. So I'm assuming everything they did was cut precisely. He did do some cutting in the garage yesterday, but I'm assuming most of it was done prior to him showing up based on the measurements they took a month or so ago. Dude seemed to know what he was doing, everything is guaranteed for life etc. It's not a project I would have felt comfortable doing myself that's for sure. Wife is happy... so all is good haha.
Last edited by skullman80 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 am

I still remember sawzalling my master shower's fiberglass enclosure years ago in order to go with tile. I had to cut that damn thing into 100 pieces to fit into the trash can, and my lawn around the cans was covered in blue particles for weeks. It looked like I murered a family of Smurfs.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:07 am

As far as I know yeah he just put it over the old tile. Nothing got taken out per say, just everything laid over top. They came and took measurements about a month or so before the install. So I'm assuming everything they did was cut precisely. He did do some cutting in the garage yesterday, but I'm assuming most of it was down prior to him showing up based on the measurements they took a month or so ago. Dude seemed to know what he was doing, everything is guaranteed for life etc. It's not a project I would have felt comfortable doing myself that's for sure. Wife is happy... so all is good haha.
my first project was this as well. It turned out well enough until I dropped a hammer in the tub and put a big black chip mark in it. It was after the tile was already laid so that sucked. 8 years later and I have some mildew in the corners of the grout that I can't seem to get out. ANyone have any suggestions?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 am

The best way to tackle that, IMO, is to remove the grout and re-grout/re-seal.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am

Very nice skully.
Wife is happy... so all is good haha.
:thumb:

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am

The best way to tackle that, IMO, is to remove the grout and re-grout/re-seal.
that's what I figured/didn't want to hear. I was also told about muriatic acid, but that doesn't sound fun either.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:23 am

I personally wouldn't use muriatic acid. If you want to give a chemical a shot first, go to Home Depot and pick up something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Buil ... /300176044

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:26 am

As far as I know yeah he just put it over the old tile. Nothing got taken out per say, just everything laid over top. They came and took measurements about a month or so before the install. So I'm assuming everything they did was cut precisely. He did do some cutting in the garage yesterday, but I'm assuming most of it was down prior to him showing up based on the measurements they took a month or so ago. Dude seemed to know what he was doing, everything is guaranteed for life etc. It's not a project I would have felt comfortable doing myself that's for sure. Wife is happy... so all is good haha.
my first project was this as well. It turned out well enough until I dropped a hammer in the tub and put a big black chip mark in it. It was after the tile was already laid so that sucked. 8 years later and I have some mildew in the corners of the grout that I can't seem to get out. ANyone have any suggestions?
We must live in parallel dimensions, because I did the same exact thing to my tub. I ended up using a porcelain filler to fill in the chip on the tub. Can't help you with the grout though. That was one of the reasons I decided to remove the tile, as I didn't want to regrout.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:26 am

Nice work. Our window issue is a little different in that the window is on the wall next to the tub and the tub wall needs to be trimmed out to accommodate it. We're also moving the faucet and showerhead to the other side of the tub so as to minimize the amount of moisture on the window and its wood frame.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Nice work. Our window issue is a little different in that the window is on the wall next to the tub and the tub wall needs to be trimmed out to accommodate it. We're also moving the faucet and showerhead to the other side of the tub so as to minimize the amount of moisture on the window and its wood frame.
Are you doing this before Bath Fitters comes in? I wonder how they handle open walls, in that case (depending on what you're actually doing).
Last edited by NTP66 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:32 am

My first house I decided to completely redo my bathroom (i.e. stripped down to the studs)
This will most likely be my winter project this year. The old plaster behind the tile in the shower area is disintegrating, and on the opposite wall (dry area, but tile covered) at least a 4 sq ft area is bowed out to a good 4 inches from flush.

Think we're going to go with that wood-look porcelain tile for the floor and natural stone, maybe slate, for the shower surround and wainscoting.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am

I still remember sawzalling my master shower's fiberglass enclosure years ago in order to go with tile. I had to cut that damn thing into 100 pieces to fit into the trash can, and my lawn around the cans was covered in blue particles for weeks. It looked like I murered a family of Smurfs.
I did something similar when I gutted the bathroom. There was an apartment complex just down the street from me with a couple of dumpsters. Once a week I'd drive over and dump a bunch of trash that I didn't feel like cutting up.

I also got lucky when I befriended my neighbor across the street and he said he'd take my old cast iron tub and scrap it. Thing must have weighed 400-500 lbs.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:38 am

I also got lucky when I befriended my neighbor across the street and he said he'd take my old cast iron tub and scrap it. Thing must have weighed 400-500 lbs.
He might have got $50 for it. Not bad for a little bit of labor.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:39 am

My first house I decided to completely redo my bathroom (i.e. stripped down to the studs)
This will most likely be my winter project this year. The old plaster behind the tile in the shower area is disintegrating, and on the opposite wall (dry area, but tile covered) at least a 4 sq ft area is bowed out to a good 4 inches from flush.

Think we're going to go with that wood-look porcelain tile for the floor and natural stone, maybe slate, for the shower surround and wainscoting.
Are you going to replaster, or go with drywall? I went with drywall, which was very challenging. Since the plaster transitioned right into the ceiling and I didn't want to tear down the ceiling, I left about 4" of plaster around the upper perimeter. But the plaster was 2-3 inches thick, so I had to put spacers on the studs to align the drywall with the plaster. Didn't come out perfect, but for my first reno it wasn't too bad.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:40 am

I'd have just drywalled right over the plaster ceiling.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 am

I'm 6'4" as it is, plus my brother was living with me at the time and he's 6'6". We installed the shower head within an inch of the ceiling, so we used every micron available.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am

Are you going to replaster, or go with drywall? I went with drywall, which was very challenging. Since the plaster transitioned right into the ceiling and I didn't want to tear down the ceiling, I left about 4" of plaster around the upper perimeter. But the plaster was 2-3 inches thick, so I had to put spacers on the studs to align the drywall with the plaster. Didn't come out perfect, but for my first reno it wasn't too bad.
Cement board for anywhere that will get stone (6' wainscoting all around room) and blue board / veneer plaster above. I'll furr out the whole room with 1x's and shims to keep everything level/plumb.

AuthorTony

Home Improvement Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:19 pm

That does look great. Thanks so much for sharing. I've been debating whether it was something I wanted to tackle myself but this looks terrific and makes me think I should just pay to have it done.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 pm

That does look great. Thanks so much for sharing. I've been debating whether it was something I wanted to tackle myself but this looks terrific and makes me think I should just pay to have it done.
No problem. :thumb: :thumb: Yeah the cost was not bad for the work they did and the materials used. Very pleased.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 pm

My Dad is a contractor so I'm getting my labor done for free, total project cost should be under $2k and that's a down-to-the-studs demolition of the entire bathroom and floor. My brother has all the tools for PEX already so that is being done on the cheap as well.

The downside is that the project is being done in spare time over the course of 3-4 months, but we only stay at that house when working on it so it is not an issue.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm not a good plumber, but I'm going to try and replace my shower cartridge tonight. Here's to hoping all goes well

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm not a good plumber, but I'm going to try and replace my shower cartridge tonight. Here's to hoping all goes well
Do yourself a huge favor and get the correct cartridge tool at either Lowe’s or HD. It makes the entire process a piece of cake.