Home Improvement Thread

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 am

How do I tell if I have 30a available? The garage has a separate fuse box.

Gas would be cheaper to run?
Add up the total amperage of all the breakers and subtract it from the main one would be the easiest way. I assume you mean breakers and not fuse box.

Gas pipe alone is probably like $2.50 a foot. Excavation, installation, hook up.. Could get pricey also.

My guess is there was a wood burner in there for a reason :lol:

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 am

These are vent free and while they will work they put a lot of condensation into the air. So if you have an expensive golf simulator you may not want to use them.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 am

Damn thought I could just buy a space heater and go on with my life :lol: I'll take a look at the breaker later

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:32 am

Furnace seems to be having really random intermittent issues the past week or so. It normally runs through cycles fine, but every once in a while...it will get call for heat, kick on, light the burners, then kick off right before the fan starts actually blowing air out. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens...its just every once in a while.

I had it serviced before winter and everything checked out. I pulled out the flame sensor and cleaned it just to make sure it wasn't corroded, but it seemed ok. The LED flashes that I get seem to say it's either a bad tstat (which it's new last year), or there is an issue with a ground somewhere. I tightened everything up I could see. In any event I don't trust myself much with these things...so furnace guy coming out in a bit.

I just wish it wasn't so random...it worked all day fine yesterday, over night I set the temp down two degrees from 68 to 66....woke up this morning at like 5:15 and checked and it was 63 in our room. Went down stairs and had the 8 flashing lights. Flipped switch off...waited 30 seconds... back on. Fired up...ignited flame... then flame died. Did it a 2nd time and it worked... and it's been working all day ever since. the main

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 am

I’ve had that issue in the past. If you open the panel, turn on the heat and look through the end of the burner tubes. It could be that the far tubes where the sensor is aren’t getting flame, possibly due to rust or debris in the tubes. That’s more likely than a bad sensor, IMO, given that it’s intermittent.

Could always pull the sensor and rub it with a dollar bill to see if that helps.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:55 am

Damn thought I could just buy a space heater and go on with my life :lol: I'll take a look at the breaker later
I mean it depends how hot ya wanna get it in there I guess. A decent space heater may be adequate.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm

I’ve had that issue in the past. If you open the panel, turn on the heat and look through the end of the burner tubes. It could be that the far tubes where the sensor is aren’t getting flame, possibly due to rust or debris in the tubes. That’s more likely than a bad sensor, IMO, given that it’s intermittent.

Could always pull the sensor and rub it with a dollar bill to see if that helps.
Yup, I've had the same issue. I had a tech come out and try and tell me that it was my Nest thermostat.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Yup, I've had the same issue. I had a tech come out and try and tell me that it was my Nest thermostat.
I did the dollar bill thing yesterday on the sensor...and it worked for a while (until it didn't overnight). I know it's not my t-stat the thing is like a year and a half old (we replaced the old once when we moved in). We shall see what the tech says. He's a local guy I trust to not try to rip me off.

The furnace is like 14 years old.. I'm hoping to get another year or two out of it and then replace the furnace and A/C at the same time. (A/C is like 10 years old).

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Hvac guy cleaned the sensor much better than I did ..he said it still looked corroded. He said lets wait and see what it does tonight. He thinks I might have counted the number of LED flashes wrong...which is totally possible at 5am in the morning.

Everything else checked out normal. He basically charged me a quarter of what he normally does for a diagnostic trip since he didn't do much and we are waiting to see if it pops up again. Told me if it does take video of the LED's and call/text him right away etc.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

How many flashes? 8 is the flame sensor not detecting a flame after multiple cycles.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:16 pm

How many flashes? 8 is the flame sensor not detecting a flame after multiple cycles.
I thought I counted 8 this morning, but I could be wrong. Of course we couldn't get it to reproduce it while he was here. The paper I have downstairs says 7 flashes is Low Flame sense signal, 8 flashes is C terminal not grounded to frame of furnace or bad Thermostat. We had the thermostat last year using the C-wire...so it would be weird that it wasn't grounded, and he said he checked that. The board that is in the furnace is not the original board, it was replaced at some point.

I dunno...we shall see what happens tonight.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Weird, I thought the flashes were universal. What brand furnace? Mine's a York.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:18 pm

Weird, I thought the flashes were universal. What brand furnace? Mine's a York.
It's a Goodman. Like I said it was put in around 2007 or 2008 from looking at the tag inside and the numbers listed. I just want to get another year or so out of it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm

speaking of hvac, we have a weird phenomena in our house where our kids rooms' are 6 degrees warmer or cooler than the rest of the house. when the heat is on in the house, it's almost like cold air is being blown in and vice versa

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 pm

speaking of hvac, we have a weird phenomena in our house where our kids rooms' are 6 degrees warmer or cooler than the rest of the house. when the heat is on in the house, it's almost like cold air is being blown in and vice versa
Sounds more like your system is unbalanced than anything else. Easiest way to check it to turn on the furnace or AC, and go to each vent, holding a tissue over the end of it. See how far the air blows the tissue. My guess is that in their rooms are getting much more airflow than the others. I went through this a year or so ago, and now every room is much closer together.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Sounds more like your system is unbalanced than anything else. Easiest way to check it to turn on the furnace or AC, and go to each vent, holding a tissue over the end of it. See how far the air blows the tissue. My guess is that in their rooms are getting much more airflow than the others. I went through this a year or so ago, and now every room is much closer together.
i assume this isnt a DIY fix

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:53 pm

i assume this isnt a DIY fix
It all depends on whether or not the supply lines have adjustable dampers on them. If they do, you should be able to open/close them to balance things out. It took my BIL and I about 30-45 minutes to do the entire house, though everything was in the basement and easily accessible. If you don't have adjustable dampers, then yeah, it's likely not DIY unless you have a lot of spare time and tin snips.

The easiest way to tell if you have adjustable dampers is to look for a lever on the side of the duct after it leaves the main trunk.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:20 pm

What is the normal cycle for a heat pump? Do they run for a while (like 10 minutes)..
Abruptly stop.. Then start up like 5 seconds later for another minute or two? I've never really noticed but now that we moved my sons room and I lay with him at night, it's really f'n loud against his wall.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:41 am

Add up the total amperage of all the breakers and subtract it from the main one would be the easiest way. I assume you mean breakers and not fuse box.

Gas pipe alone is probably like $2.50 a foot. Excavation, installation, hook up.. Could get pricey also.

Update. Only 15a available. However there is a dryer outlet in the garage so I think I'm in business

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am

Just run a dryer with the door open. Problem solved.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:04 am

Perfect

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 am

Hvac guy cleaned the sensor much better than I did ..he said it still looked corroded. He said lets wait and see what it does tonight. He thinks I might have counted the number of LED flashes wrong...which is totally possible at 5am in the morning.

Everything else checked out normal. He basically charged me a quarter of what he normally does for a diagnostic trip since he didn't do much and we are waiting to see if it pops up again. Told me if it does take video of the LED's and call/text him right away etc.
I had this problem last January or so and it ended up being a tube. I believe it was the tube connected to the pressure switch. Either way, I cleaned it out after spending an inordinate time on the igniter and everything worked.

edit: this was on a goodman.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am

I had this problem last January or so and it ended up being a tube. I believe it was the tube connected to the pressure switch. Either way, I cleaned it out after spending an inordinate time on the igniter and everything worked.

edit: this was on a goodman.
I'll keep that in mind. Everything worked as it should of over night. No shutdowns...things working fine today to keep the temp where it should be. Will see how it goes the next few days.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:58 am

Bought a new oven last November, today is a hell of a day for it to **** the bed. Thanks you **** piece of ****.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Update. Only 15a available. However there is a dryer outlet in the garage so I think I'm in business
Yep. That should work for a big one like dodint posted which I believe was 240v