Home Improvement Thread

Ad@m

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Ad@m » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Over the last week or so, my toilet has been running for several minutes after it's flushed. The bowl and tank fill as normal, but the water just keeps running. I noticed that water seems to shoot out of the little hose in the center tube even though the tank's full. It stops eventually and doesn't run again like water is leaking off somewhere. I've replaced everything in the tank within the last 2 years, but something's obviously wrong. Any ideas where to start?
As Shyster said, I had the same problem with my basement toilet last week.

Float rod adjustment screw

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:30 am

So all good, until yesterday it happened again. I shut the system off and went to bed last night with the windows open (paying for it today, thanks allergies). Turned it on this morning and it kicked back on just fine. So I let it run all day and came home to a cool house. The ecobee sets temp to 84 during the day and back down to 73 at 5pm. Monitored it remotely all day and it only kicked on once or twice before 5.

I started poking around in the basement doing other things and then noticed there's a puddle under my air handler. Immediately I'm thinking clogged condensate line. Got out the shop vac and hit it, felt a big thump through the vacs hose. And then water ran out of it for like 20 seconds. Woof.

So I then look up how to change an air filter (I've never used a furnace before in my 30 years... We always had a boiler). Pull the air filter out and it's soggy wet, not to mention filthy black. So I presume that was my culprit, and there was probably some sort of switch for when the pan underneath fills up to switch off the heat pump.

Now let me ask yall two things. Should I rip apart the panel and clean the condenser (I think that's the piece that probably got dirty?) and two, do I really need to change that filter every 2 months? I hadn't changed it since we moved in. Probably a mistake as I'm sure it sucked in a ton of plaster and saw dust during construction.

Let's hope ive put this to bed with some routine maintenance going forward.
I have a few recommendations for you:

First, do yourself a favor and buy/install an EZ-Trap for your evaporator (the pan below your A coil): https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-83626 ... B00BPAQXRS. It's clear, so you'll be able to see what's going on, and has a clean out brush if there's something stuck in it. Most importantly, it has a float switch that will shut off your AC if that line ever gets clogged, preventing water from dumping out over the coil, your electronics boards, fan, etc. That alone makes it worth its weight in gold.

Secondly, I'd still change your filter at least every 2 months, and probably monthly. I've used the following two types of filters, and can recommend them:

Standard fiberglass: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LR7WR8
Pleated: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-16-in ... /203225777

Don't believe anyone who says you need one of the thick pleated filters, unless you have severe allergies. All they'll do is make your system work harder, shortening the life span.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 am

So all good, until yesterday it happened again. I shut the system off and went to bed last night with the windows open (paying for it today, thanks allergies). Turned it on this morning and it kicked back on just fine. So I let it run all day and came home to a cool house. The ecobee sets temp to 84 during the day and back down to 73 at 5pm. Monitored it remotely all day and it only kicked on once or twice before 5.

I started poking around in the basement doing other things and then noticed there's a puddle under my air handler. Immediately I'm thinking clogged condensate line. Got out the shop vac and hit it, felt a big thump through the vacs hose. And then water ran out of it for like 20 seconds. Woof.

So I then look up how to change an air filter (I've never used a furnace before in my 30 years... We always had a boiler). Pull the air filter out and it's soggy wet, not to mention filthy black. So I presume that was my culprit, and there was probably some sort of switch for when the pan underneath fills up to switch off the heat pump.

Now let me ask yall two things. Should I rip apart the panel and clean the condenser (I think that's the piece that probably got dirty?) and two, do I really need to change that filter every 2 months? I hadn't changed it since we moved in. Probably a mistake as I'm sure it sucked in a ton of plaster and saw dust during construction.

Let's hope ive put this to bed with some routine maintenance going forward.
I have a few recommendations for you:

First, do yourself a favor and buy/install an EZ-Trap for your evaporator (the pan below your A coil): https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-83626 ... B00BPAQXRS. It's clear, so you'll be able to see what's going on, and has a clean out brush if there's something stuck in it. Most importantly, it has a float switch that will shut off your AC if that line ever gets clogged, preventing water from dumping out over the coil, your electronics boards, fan, etc. That alone makes it worth its weight in gold.

Secondly, I'd still change your filter at least every 2 months, and probably monthly. I've used the following two types of filters, and can recommend them:

Standard fiberglass: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LR7WR8
Pleated: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-16-in ... /203225777

Don't believe anyone who says you need one of the thick pleated filters, unless you have severe allergies. All they'll do is make your system work harder, shortening the life span.
I am pretty sure I already have the EZ trap. The thing looks very similar to the condensate drain line I have coming out. I'm guessing that is what was shutting the system off these past two times?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 am

Source of the post I am pretty sure I already have the EZ trap. The thing looks very similar to the condensate drain line I have coming out. I'm guessing that is what was shutting the system off these past two times?
It could be, but how were you getting the system started again if you just now cleared the drain? Unless the drain was slowly lettering just enough water through that the switch allowed the system to start again.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 am

Source of the post I am pretty sure I already have the EZ trap. The thing looks very similar to the condensate drain line I have coming out. I'm guessing that is what was shutting the system off these past two times?
It could be, but how were you getting the system started again if you just now cleared the drain? Unless the drain was slowly lettering just enough water through that the switch allowed the system to start again.
THe unit didnt run for like a day the first time. So I presume me turning it off and back on helped. I did teh same thing Sunday night as well.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 am

I thought you just used the shower for #2?

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:57 pm

What could cause my A/C to not break but not quite have the juice it did over the past few days? The air is coming out semi chilly.. definitely colder than room temp but the house is staying steady at 78ish. It's pumping air out normally, it's just not cold air. But seems like it's somewhat chilly air so I don't think it's dead dead.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:59 pm

How old is the system? Easiest guess would be that your system needs another refrigerant charge. Another obvious one is a clogged filter, though that’d be too easy.

Is your condenser outside really dirty? Is the fan and compressor turning on? Those last two are worst case scenarios.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes, when is the last time you had your central air unit serviced?

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Well replaced the filter anyway. I was probably a little overdue. Everything else seems to be working and in good shape. Gonna just have to call someone in and make sure and probably just charge it I guess. I've had the house for 2 years and haven't had anything serviced in that time. It was fine at inspection, and the system was new in 2009. Fantastic timing though

RonnieFranchise

Home Improvement Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Im gonna agree w NTP and say refrigerant needs to be charged.

Ours went dead at 7 pm Friday (of course). Was not too bad till Sunday night. Bad capacitor, fixed Monday morning.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 pm

How old is the system? Easiest guess would be that your system needs another refrigerant charge. Another obvious one is a clogged filter, though that’d be too easy.

Is your condenser outside really dirty? Is the fan and compressor turning on? Those last two are worst case scenarios.
So the fan and compressor are actually not running outside. Eff me

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 pm

When that happened to me last year it was a blown capacitor. When they go bad they bulge, like this:

It's about the size of a soda can.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:44 pm

So it was weird. It didn't sound like the compressor was running so I thought I was screwed from my brief internet research. But I was out with the dog, and heard a buzz for a second or two, so I knew it had power.. so I got the fan started with a stick and it's been running since then. I'd assume that's not a permanent fix, but it's 11:30 and that's all the further I got through the YouTube videos tonight. Just hoping this air blowing out gets cold soon

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 pm

That is the exact same thing I did. Got it moving by spinning the fan blades with a stick until it could overcome the inertia of being stationary. By the time I got up in the morning it was stopped again. I might have posted about it here.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Hah great. Looks like that's a bit cheaper than a bad compressor, so I can live with that

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Just this tantrum:
82F in my house at 11pm. JFC.
Did you forget where your thermostat is located?
Oh, damn! Is it that little box in the hallway that says "82F" on it? The one connected to the seized central air unit?
It's a cheap fix. If I were you I'd have a look in the morning and see if you can locate the capacitor and I'm willing to bet that it's bulged and non-functional.

https://dengarden.com/appliances/How-to ... -Capacitor explains it pretty clearly.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:04 am

This has been a good turn in my night. Two hours ago I thought I was gonna be down a couple grand. Thanks

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:31 am

If you're going to tackle the capacitor replacement by yourself, make 10000% sure that you have the right one. You could wind up doing more harm than good if you don't.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

Yeah I'm considering just having someone do it for me and save me the worrying of if I did everything right

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

That is the exact same thing I did. Got it moving by spinning the fan blades with a stick until it could overcome the inertia of being stationary. By the time I got up in the morning it was stopped again. I might have posted about it here.
Hey guess what happened this morning

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 am

Yeah I'm considering just having someone do it for me and save me the worrying of if I did everything right
I think that's a good call.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah definitely have someone else replace the cap. If you put one that big in backwards it'll blow up and cause damage to the unit and possibly yourself.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 pm

HVAC guy came, agreed capacitor was bad, and even recharged the freon to be safe. So.. is it normal to take a couple hours for the air to get cold again? Or is this a bad sign for ulfs wallet

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Depends on how much of a heat difference we're talking about. If it was well over 80 in there and you're taking it down to 70, I could see that taking an hour to cool the whole house. But I don't think it should take much longer than that. Are the vents blowing cold air?