Home Improvement Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:09 am

"I want to do this with my fireplace" and "I don't want to spend a lot of money" do not go together.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:27 am

Yeah. I looked at converting it back to wood, and said screw it.

On a more serious note, I thought of converting it back to wood and taking the natural gas guts and installing them in a new housing downstairs. In talking to people though, they say the insurance premium hike for the wood fireplace would be enough to make it prohibitive.

The house needs dual zone climate control, which is the true answer to this.

Viva la Ben

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:49 pm

So my Rheem forced air gas furnace developed an intermittent buzz last week. Thanks to the internet I determined the draft inducer relay was going bad. I ordered the part for $10 on Amazon, and after a 10 minute installation the furnace is back to quiet operation. This would have been a $200 plus hvac tech call.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Ugh, I live in a neighborhood of spec houses. I'm watching my neighbor tear down half of his vinyl siding (less than eight years old) because it was improperly installed. He couldn't figure out why his kids kept getting sick, and they found horrendous mold problems because the siding was secured poorly.

I've had issues with our HVAC, which is where our builder saved money. Half the houses had new roofs put on last year after a relatively minor hail storm. Another house we looked at up the street had major structural problems - complete structural failure on the supports underneath the house. These are all homes built between 2007-2010, and really shouldn't have major issues like this.

Buyer beware!

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:13 pm

I had a plumber come by yesterday to look into the feasibility of adding two new gas lines for a gas dryer and a gas oven. He said I had enough capacity to just tap into the existing 1/2" line. He quoted 40' of 1/2" black iron pipe and 2 ball valves. Price: $2500. GTFO with that shiznits!

Viva la Ben

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Sounds like you called Gillece

PFiDC

Home Improvement Thread

Postby PFiDC » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:38 pm

I had a plumber come by yesterday to look into the feasibility of adding two new gas lines for a gas dryer and a gas oven. He said I had enough capacity to just tap into the existing 1/2" line. He quoted 40' of 1/2" black iron pipe and 2 ball valves. Price: $2500. GTFO with that shiznits!
Does he have to dig for this job? Is he tapping from a line inside the house already? Does he need to remove drywall or cinder block wall? Does he need to cut into the basement floor?

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:50 pm

He just has to drill through a few joists and up into a vinyl floor. He will be tapping into an existing line, but that shouldn't mean squat. Totally high-balled me. It was Mr. Rooter, which was my wife's choosing. I told her not to call any of those ripoff franchises anymore.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:31 am

He just has to drill through a few joists and up into a vinyl floor. He will be tapping into an existing line, but that shouldn't mean squat. Totally high-balled me. It was Mr. Rooter, which was my wife's choosing. I told her not to call any of those ripoff franchises anymore.
Wow. That's a $500-$750 job. Black pipe is expensive, but $2,500 is crazy.

columbia

Home Improvement Thread

Postby columbia » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:00 am

Mineral oil works for water stains on hardwood floors?

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Update: the entire front side of my neighbor's house is open. Everything is getting replaced from the drywall, framing, insulation, and siding. <shudders>

PFiDC

Home Improvement Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Pulled up part of the carpet in the living room. Hardwood in good condition. Thank God!! All we will have to do is pull everything up, pull nails, and fill with wood filler. It's a decent amount of work but no sanding and staining.

The wallpaper is also coming off real easy. I was most concerned about that. If the hardwood was crap I would just leave it until I could afford the refinishing. The wallpaper though, that HAS to come down before we move in.

The bathroom floor is unfortunately plywood under carpet. I hate carpet in a bathroom. I think we are going to go with some laminate flooring. Never down that before so it should be interesting.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 pm

I think we are going to go with some laminate flooring. Never down that before so it should be interesting.
Super easy. We put laminate down in our bedroom before we moved in. Took my father-in-law and I about 4 hours to do a 10'x16' room.

PFiDC

Home Improvement Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Nice. And this bathroom isn't nearly that size. I'm going to replace the toilet at the same time and pipe in 2 pedestal sinks. We've had 1 sink between the 3 of us for almost 6 months. That wont do anymore.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Be careful doing laminate in a bathroom. Sometimes the water/moisture will get between the floor and the subfloor.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm

this thread pretty much convinces this gentleman that buying a house is a scam.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Nice. And this bathroom isn't nearly that size. I'm going to replace the toilet at the same time and pipe in 2 pedestal sinks. We've had 1 sink between the 3 of us for almost 6 months. That wont do anymore.
My wife dreams of having 2 sinks. I can't figure out why, because we get ready at different times in the morning. :|

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:25 pm

And don't forget to buy quarter round like I did. :lol:

Miami Vice

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Anyone ever have outdoor electrical work done?

I'd like to add an outlet to the front of the house for christmas lights. Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what that would cost to determine if its worth it.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 pm

I'd like to add an outlet to the front of the house for christmas lights. Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what that would cost to determine if its worth it.
Fairly cheap if your handy. ;)

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:06 pm

This could go in the pet peeve thread, but alas...

Our dryer went (related to post above re: gas line) so we called the home insurance to have it replaced. This is under the 1 year warranty we were given when we bought the house in May. They said they'd come out today, and gave the typical 8-noon time slot. They called twice over the weekend to remind my wife that they'd be out today. Of course, they don't show, don't call, nothing. My wife calls at 12:15 and they say the guy called off sick today. Thanks for the courtesy call flucknuts. As if my wife has nothing better to do than sit around and wait for the dryer savoir to come and honor her with his almighty presence.

On top of this, we got another quote on the gas line for $1200 and another contractor that was supposed to come today that also cancelled due to sickness. I hate contractors

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 pm

And know your codes (if you ever plan on selling the house)

Miami Vice

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I've seen far too many nightmare stories on the home theater forum I frequent to do electrical install work myself. People sell their houses and are sued because they added new fixtures or outlets themselves without permits.

I upgraded my outlets myself, so I'm not scared of the work, but I also think I would need to add a breaker given that this will be going right outside and to a GFCI outlet.

Miami Vice

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 pm

I bought my washer and dryer from these guys http://www.keepitclean4atl.com/testimonials.html

$355 total, they brought a used set of Kenmores to me and hooked them up within 3 hours. I think their model is to collect the units Sears, Lowes, and Home Depot haul away, add new seals or rebuild motors, and then sell them cheap.

Silentom

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I've seen far too many nightmare stories on the home theater forum I frequent to do electrical install work myself. People sell their houses and are sued because they added new fixtures or outlets themselves without permits.

I upgraded my outlets myself, so I'm not scared of the work, but I also think I would need to add a breaker given that this will be going right outside and to a GFCI outlet.
Permits suck. I guess it would depend on where you live.