Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:25 am

We finally got to really test out our new heated floor in the kitchen yesterday - 100% worth the investment.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:52 am

Second fence guy just left. Seemed way more knowledgeable than the first guy that came. Gave some different options.. have to talk it over with the wife and send him info to get back a quote. I'm fine paying a bit more if it's done right, but the fact that I'm fairly certain it won't come in under the $7,500 of the first quite..is still tough to stomach.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:21 pm

We finally got to really test out our new heated floor in the kitchen yesterday - 100% worth the investment.
What was the impetus for having this done? Just curious.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:35 pm

Like many other homes in Greenfield, my backyard is right up against an old city alley/right of way. It’s just overgrown weeds. Been that way for five years. Today I see somebody went back there and put up a property line marker. That can’t be good right?

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Great law school question.

We bought my wife's childhood home from the estate. There is a 30ft zone between us and the neighbors that the in-laws always referred to as a right of way/easement for the property owner behind us. Turns out it's owned outright by the guy behind us with no mention of an easement. Huge difference from a legal standpoint, in that through adverse possession we have a valid claim to some or all of that 30fth swath. An easement would've nullified that claim.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 pm

Hmm.. The alley shows on the county's property assessment map online so I don't think we have that sort of situation.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:02 pm

What was the impetus for having this done? Just curious.
Cold floor along the kitchen counter. Now my feet are warm and toasty.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:09 pm

We installed that oversized HVAC system last year, and the ductwork is pretty large. It presses against the underside of the floor in a few places and radiates through the floor. So, we got the same effect as a benefit, it's just not evenly distributed. ;)

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Yeah, no runs like that in our house. I hated cooking or cleaning in the winter because of how cold the corner was in particular. I paid under $750 in total for the 8sf heating mat, including installation (electrical), and it was worth every penny. The heat radiates past the mat, which only makes it better.

Plus, the cats love it.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:39 pm

Yeah, no runs like that in our house. I hated cooking or cleaning in the winter because of how cold the corner was in particular. I paid under $750 in total for the 8sf heating mat, including installation (electrical), and it was worth every penny. The heat radiates past the mat, which only makes it better.

Plus, the cats love it.
What kind of flooring? Was thinking to doing something similar in our upstairs bathroom

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Plus, the cats love it.
What kind of flooring? Was thinking to doing something similar in our upstairs bathroom
Tile flooring. You can do wood, too, but the max temperature is much lower. Tile can take a much higher temp. I had ours set to 87, but my wife thought it was too warm, so now it's set to Heaaaath degrees.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Plus, the cats love it.
Tile flooring. You can do wood, too, but the max temperature is much lower. Tile can take a much higher temp. I had ours set to 87, but my wife thought it was too warm, so now it's set to Heaaaath degrees.
It's carpet now but plan to put in LVP in the future. Not sure if that stuff can handle the excess heat. I know that it's thermal expansion rate is greater than wood, so would have to be careful with it.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Plus, the cats love it.
It's carpet now but plan to put in LVP in the future. Not sure if that stuff can handle the excess heat. I know that it's thermal expansion rate is greater than wood, so would have to be careful with it.
Sounds like you can use it with LVL: https://www.nuheat.com/learning-center/ ... l-flooring

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:00 pm

Plus, the cats love it.
Have you considered socks?

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Few things are better than rearranging your bedroom and having the fresh new carpet feeling underneath where your bed used to be.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Make fists with your toes

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:37 pm

We are getting dangerously close to choosing new lvp for our entire first floor. mrs meow has it down between three choices with the cheapest being $5.59 a square foot. Start a go fund me for ya boy.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:43 pm

I just realized that I wrote that it was an 8sf heating mat, but I meant 64sf (8x8 mat).

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I just realized that I wrote that it was an 8sf heating mat, but I meant 64sf (8x8 mat).
haha thought that was low. Or that you're a wus and couldn't stand in one small spot in your kitchen

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:58 pm

We are getting dangerously close to choosing new lvp for our entire first floor. mrs meow has it down between three choices with the cheapest being $5.59 a square foot. Start a go fund me for ya boy.
Sounds like you need to find a good reason not to purchase the $5.59 material.

Hit me up if you want some opinions. I have been doing my own research on this stuff, and you could probably get away with HD or Lowe's as long as you choose the right one and don't have them install it.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:02 pm

haha thought that was low. Or that you're a wus and couldn't stand in one small spot in your kitchen
I hadn't finished my coffee yet. :D The NuHeat mats are able to be cut, so we had the option of cutting it in half and using one half for the area in front of our slider, but it made more sense to just use it in front of where you'd spend the most time.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Second fence quote came back... $8400. Not sure if this fence is happening or not anytime soon.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:47 pm

i was quite puzzled by this and envisioned a small area at your cooking surface with a heater

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:05 pm

Plus, the cats love it.
Have you considered socks?
His cats probably already have names

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Gonna rename the troublemaker meow.