Home Improvement Thread

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm

This is silly and impractical and I think Stihl would sell a ton of these.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 am

Contractor buddy of mine just told me that all of the major HVAC equipment manufacturers are bumping their prices nearly 12% this fall. They've already seen increases of 5-7% over the last year, but this is a big jump. The pain for homeowners will continue.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:42 am

Everything goes up but our wages.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 am

Do a full HVAC system replacement last year. #Winning

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:53 am

Same

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:54 am

I get parts at-cost, so I'm not terribly worried myself.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 am

Great. Just great.

We were thinking of biting the bullet and getting central air in our house in the spring. Granted, my FIL and I would probably do most of the work, but still.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 pm

My new HVAC system will be installed on Monday. After the AC temporarily went out a few months ago with a bad capacitor, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and replace the furnace and AC (both 20+ years old) on my terms rather than when they would invariably break down in the middle of summer or dead of winter. Sounds like I picked a good time.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:44 am

How much of a pain is it to fix a leak that is apparently coming from the shower pipes behind the wall? Woke up to a nice waterfall coming down the floor boards in the basement. Luckily someone actually put spigots on the pipe and built a little door in the closet behind the bathroom for small access.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 am

How much of a pain is it to fix a leak that is apparently coming from the shower pipes behind the wall? Woke up to a nice waterfall coming down the floor boards in the basement. Luckily someone actually put spigots on the pipe and built a little door in the closet behind the bathroom for small access.
Really depends on where it's coming from. If you're really lucky, maybe it's coming from the short shower arm that screws into the copper pipe in the wall. Could either need tightened or replaced, but both can be done without touching the wall. if you have an access door, trickle the water and shine a light in there to see where it's coming from.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 am

Really depends on where it's coming from. If you're really lucky, maybe it's coming from the short shower arm that screws into the copper pipe in the wall. Could either need tightened or replaced, but both can be done without touching the wall. if you have an access door, trickle the water and shine a light in there to see where it's coming from.
From what I can tell, it looks to be possibly the valve where hot and cold connect and the shower handle would be, but there isn't much room to work. Maybe if I take off the handle from inside the shower, there may be better access, but I'm thinking they will probably have to cut the drywall from inside the closet to get to it (which I guess it could be worse)

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:02 am

From what I can tell, it looks to be possibly the valve where hot and cold connect and the shower handle would be, but there isn't much room to work. Maybe if I take off the handle from inside the shower, there may be better access, but I'm thinking they will probably have to cut the drywall from inside the closet to get to it (which I guess it could be worse)
If it's the valve, then yeah, time to call a plumber. However, if it's leaking from the cartridge itself - which is behind the handle - you can probably find a replacement cartridge at HD, Lowe's, etc. And definitely buy a cartridge removal tool.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 am

If it's the valve, then yeah, time to call a plumber. However, if it's leaking from the cartridge itself - which is behind the handle - you can probably find a replacement cartridge at HD, Lowe's, etc. And definitely buy a cartridge removal tool.
Today is my 15th anniversary, waking up to this is what I truly wanted but was afraid to ask for.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:06 am

:lol: Happy Anniversary!

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:12 am

Sucks eddy. I think NTP is right, could be your mixing valve. Had that happen to me before. And ditto purchasing the removal tool. That thing can be near impossible to remove sometimes. Like you think you're going to pull the plumbing through the wall with it.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 am

Source of the post Like you think you're going to pull the plumbing through the wall with it.
That's exactly what it was like for me in my wife's old condo. Threw down my tools, drove to Lowe's and bought the tool. Had that son of a dodint out in seconds.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 am

It wasn't until I came on here did I realize that such a tool existed. Pliers, screwdriver and hammer it was for me.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:18 am

I'm calling a plumber, I'm done with it, I'll continue crawling into the closet and turning on and off the spigots when someone has to shower before I **** it up and have to call them anyway. Much thanks

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:19 am

I'm calling a plumber, I'm done with it, I'll continue crawling into the closet and turning on and off the spigots when someone has to shower before I **** it up and have to call them anyway. Much thanks
This is how it always goes in those "anniversary" movies....

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 am

If it is the valve, there's still a good chance that the wall can remain in tact. You may need a larger escutcheon plate if they open up the front a little to get to the valve from that way, if it's an option. That said, drywall and paint isn't so bad if that what you need to repair after the fact.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:21 am

This is how it always goes in those "anniversary" movies....
"Happy Anniversary! I prepared you a lovely bath! Yeah, no, you can skip the shower today - bath time!"

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 am

Date with the plumber on Tuesday, going away for the weekend so fully expect house to be underwater when we return.

Ad@m

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Ad@m » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am

Date with the plumber on Tuesday, going away for the weekend so fully expect house to be underwater when we return.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am

Hmm. She looks familiar. My spidey sense is tingling

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Hmm. She looks familiar. My spidey sense is tingling
Isn't she the chick from Tool Time?