willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:06 pm

:thumb: Thanks. Home ownership is hard.
Yes

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:55 pm

What do you service on an electric furnace?

(I am so new to the electric game)
Your ass, when the bill comes.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 pm

My maintenance for winter involves changing the filter that's about it.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 am

So funny this topic came up today. I woke up to a smoke detector going off this morning and far as I could tell it was a smoky smell coming from the furnace.

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:56 am

Ground Hog.
Little Beaver is what we got

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:11 pm

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Someone convince my buying and selling a house at the same time is not as chaotic as I think it's going to be.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:27 pm

It's chaotic

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 pm

It's hell. Especially when it's in two different states/cities etc.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes to the above two posts. Quadruple that if your buyer decides to get a new job before closing (ask me how I know).

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:32 pm

That helps guys thanks... you could have just lied to me haha. The distances won't be far at all really, it's just trying to line everything up as best we can, and also deciding if we sell now or wait to do the whole process in the spring.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm

That helps guys thanks... you could have just lied to me haha. The distances won't be far at all really, it's just trying to line everything up as best we can, and also deciding if we sell now or wait to do the whole process in the spring.
If your market is going to be a family, I want to say that late spring and on is your best bet because most people don't want to move while their kids are in the middle of a school year.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm

If your market is going to be a family, I want to say that late spring and on is your best bet because most people don't want to move while their kids are in the middle of a school year.
Honestly our house now would probably be marketed towards more towards a single person or a couple who is not going to have kids. My wife bought it when she was single about 4 years ago before I came along. It's not meant for a couple with kids cause it's just not that big. We've outgrown it with just me moving in and getting two dogs haha.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Don't quote me, but I believe you can set up a contingency when selling your house that you must be able to buy a house in the meantime.

blackjack68

Home Improvement Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Don't quote me, but I believe you can set up a contingency when selling your house that you must be able to buy a house in the meantime.
And vice versa too.

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Our previous home had a tiny ass mortgage, so we just paid two mortgages for a couple of months instead of trying the nightmare balancing act. I don't envy anyone who's gone through that process. Only thing I can think of that would be more stressful is friends of ours who went through the process of building a new house but the final sale to them was contingent on their previous home selling. Beat their deadline by 3 days.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Yeah that's a thing that you can do. It just might make some people less likely to make an offer if they know they have to wait until you then go buy a house etc.

It's going to be stressful either way. We had decided a bit ago to wait till spring, but now we both got the itch and just want to do it now. We fixed up the few minor things that were cosmetic in the house that needed attention, and we have a couple house that we've seen (at least in pictures) that we like alot so that has made us antsy. Now we could go see the houses and they could be dumps who knows, but I think we are at least going to get a pre-approval and go from there.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Our previous home had a tiny ass mortgage, so we just paid two mortgages for a couple of months instead of trying the nightmare balancing act. I don't envy anyone who's gone through that process. Only thing I can think of that would be more stressful is friends of ours who went through the process of building a new house but the final sale to them was contingent on their previous home selling. Beat their deadline by 3 days.
We could afford to do that if necessary for maybe 3-6 months, maybe a bit longer, but that would be it without running the savings a bit low.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:06 pm

We had to move closing FOUR TIMES thanks to the buyer of my wife's condo and Wells **** Fargo being incompetent **** NTP66s. I was scared that the seller of our house would just back out and sell it to the other couple who made an offer, but they stuck with us through all of the BS. That experience led me to never, ever do business with WF if at all possible. Ever.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

We had to move closing FOUR TIMES thanks to the buyer of my wife's condo and Wells **** Fargo being incompetent **** NTP66s. I was scared that the seller of our house would just back out and sell it to the other couple who made an offer, but they stuck with us through all of the BS. That experience led me to never, ever do business with WF if at all possible. Ever.
I have a guy I graduated high school with that is going to handle our stuff through Howard Hanna. I'm comfortable with him doing ihs best to make this as stress free as possible, but I know it will still be a crazy time. The current mortgage is through Citizens cause they had the best rates at the time. The only thing we have ever had go through Wells Fargo was the bathfitters remodel we did for 24 months no interest. Didn't have any issues, but really it was just an autopay set up every month never had interaction with them at all.

My wife and I our basically the same person and when we decide we want to do something.. we just do it haha. I have a feeling that is how this is going to go. We've made up our mind and will just go with it. Now if the two houses we really like suddenly go pending or contingent then we may end up holding off.

I will be sad if I can't go all out to decorate for Christmas cause we are selling though.

bhflyhigh

Home Improvement Thread

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Yeah. That's pretty stressful. Moving in of itself is stressful. Add in the pressure of selling your current house and finding a new one and planning it all so you're not homeless for any stretch. We did it two years ago and it was the most stressed out I have been in a long time. We ended up having to do everything over two days. Pack a truck, stay at a hotel, sell house, hour later buy house, move all stuff to new house and start to unpack. It was a rough 48 hours. Good luck.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Yeah. That's pretty stressful. Moving in of itself is stressful. Add in the pressure of selling your current house and finding a new one and planning it all so you're not homeless for any stretch. We did it two years ago and it was the most stressed out I have been in a long time. We ended up having to do everything over two days. Pack a truck, stay at a hotel, sell house, hour later buy house, move all stuff to new house and start to unpack. It was a rough 48 hours. Good luck.
Yeah. Worst case we can move in with my Mother In law in an interim situation if it came down to it, but that is not ideal.

Gonna fill out the pre-approval stuff tonight and just see where things go from there.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Source of the post Worst case we can move in with my Mother In law in an interim situation if it came down to it, but that is not ideal.
lol, forgot to mention, throughout the entire process with the changing closing dates, my wife and I were living in a spare bedroom at my parent's house.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:56 pm

We lived in our church's parsonage for 3 months between homes. Knowing we had this option made it easy to sell first, then buy.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Source of the post Worst case we can move in with my Mother In law in an interim situation if it came down to it, but that is not ideal.
lol, forgot to mention, throughout the entire process with the changing closing dates, my wife and I were living in a spare bedroom at my parent's house.
We would have the whole basement to ourselves I think. It wouldn't be the worst thing, but still not ideal haha.