Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:54 pm

A paint store should never run out of paint.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Anyone know if there is any kind of restriction on adding a wood burning fireplace to an existing home in Westmoreland County? I know some jurisdictions like Wisconsin have effectively made them prohibitive through a combination of legislation and exorbitant insurance rates.
Can you make it a free standing wood stove instead of a fireplace? That may skew the insurance/ordinances in your favor.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:01 pm

We originally planned a pellet stove but we really liked having a wood fireplace. Good suggestion though. Our insurance lady is shady af and can probably work something out for us.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 pm

We're hiring an architect and it will end up being on the plans that get submitted for permit.

The only place I've ever had a functional log burning fireplace was at the beach in NC, go figure.
I'd venture a guess you'll be fine. I went through the process in Fayette County though

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:16 pm

We originally planned a pellet stove but we really liked having a wood fireplace. Good suggestion though. Our insurance lady is shady af and can probably work something out for us.
My mom has one in her basement. We used to get it cranking up to 1500 F and with the fan it was a sauna. Only bad part was going back upstairs where it was a cool 67.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am

Anybody ever operate an excavator? I want to do a few things in my back yard, but not sure if it's worth trying to do myself or hire a contractor.

Plans: Demo old shed. Level area of shed and area next to shed for new shed and patio. Run a trench from house to shed area (150 feet more or less) for water and electricity. On side of house, create a swale to help mitigate a standing water issue.

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:41 pm

- Anyone ever built an elevated deck before? I've assisted in building a ground level deck and it didn't seem that difficult, but building one 10ish feet off the ground and spending the next however many years of my life hoping that I didn't **** something up gives me some concerns.

- Anyone ever add sidelights to a front door that doesn't already have them? I'd rather not **** around with the framing of the house we just built, but my wife is convinced that she needs sidelights to have the house look exactly like she wants it to.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I don't think I would try to do a deck myself. I still remember the legendary Reddit threat where a guy proudly posted pictures of the new home-built deck he had put up over the weekend and a contractor followed up and listed something like a dozen serious structural/construction flaws that were apparent from the photos. They need to be done right or they can be really dangerous. One of the episodes of Holmes on Homes was Holmes replacing a second-story deck that had collapsed and seriously injured the homeowner and one of her friends.

Edit: found that Reddit thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/1 ... d/c9of7l0/

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:01 pm

I rented a house in NC that had a really shitty deck. Some of the planks terminated in the middle of the deck surface, was just weird.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm

I don't think I would try to do a deck myself. I still remember the legendary Reddit threat where a guy proudly posted pictures of the new home-built deck he had put up over the weekend and a contractor followed up and listed something like a dozen serious structural/construction flaws that were apparent from the photos. They need to be done right or they can be really dangerous. One of the episodes of Holmes on Homes was Holmes replacing a second-story deck that had collapsed and seriously injured the homeowner and one of her friends.

This reddit thread was great. Thanks for the memories.

Dickie Dunn

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

lol. This thread is one of the main sources of my concern.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Anybody ever operate an excavator? I want to do a few things in my back yard, but not sure if it's worth trying to do myself or hire a contractor.

Plans: Demo old shed. Level area of shed and area next to shed for new shed and patio. Run a trench from house to shed area (150 feet more or less) for water and electricity. On side of house, create a swale to help mitigate a standing water issue.
I've done excavations yeah. Depending on how level you're trying to get it, you may need a mini ex and a skid steer.

Where are you located? If you're close to me I can help. Or, I can recommend someone to give you a quote. And you can go from there.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 pm

lol. This thread is one of the main sources of my concern.
Yeah man... Just find a well reviewed expert and pay them. Not worth the risk imo

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Moved
Yes. It was standard with my builder. Hardcoat plaster over wallboard. Initially I wasnt thrilled about it but couldn't be happier now. It also made painting so much easierthe skip trowel finish in most areas (other than kitchen and bath) hides the fact that a bunch of booze and pizza filled guys painted it :)
:thumb: , I didn't think anyone did that anymore.
Most new quality construction will have veneer plaster. You're probably thinking of old lime plaster & lath - a completely different thing.

Factorial

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Factorial » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Moved
Yes. It was standard with my builder. Hardcoat plaster over wallboard. Initially I wasnt thrilled about it but couldn't be happier now. It also made painting so much easierthe skip trowel finish in most areas (other than kitchen and bath) hides the fact that a bunch of booze and pizza filled guys painted it :)
:thumb: , I didn't think anyone did that anymore.
Most new quality construction will have veneer plaster. You're probably thinking of old lime plaster & lath - a completely different thing.
Yes, 1960's homes and earlier plaster. I didn't think they still did that.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:51 pm

It's become a bit of a lost art, at least here in the US. There are still plasterers out there, but I think they mainly do repairs/restorations and stucco work. I doubt there are many new homes being built here with wood lath and lime plaster walls.

It's a shame because it's really a far superior material. Completely resistant to mold, extremely strong, durable and weather-resistant - basically a wall of limestone. It can last for millennia - ancient frescoes are lime plaster.

http://masterofplaster.com/why-create-with-lime/

Of course, nothing is built to last anymore...

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 pm

It's become a bit of a lost art, at least here in the US. There are still plasterers out there, but I think they mainly do repairs/restorations and stucco work. I doubt there are many new homes being built here with wood lath and lime plaster walls.

It's a shame because it's really a far superior material. Completely resistant to mold, extremely strong, durable and weather-resistant - basically a wall of limestone. It can last for millennia - ancient frescoes are lime plaster.

http://masterofplaster.com/why-create-with-lime/

Of course, nothing is built to last anymore...
My grandfather was a plasterer by trade. Walls in his house are still beautiful. He plastered three rivers stadium and the civic arena, so I'm told. Passed in 1992 thanks to prostate cancer and white lung.

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:45 am

Thank you NEC 2017.
In finishing my basement I discovered that the NEC 2017 code now mandates AFCI on all 15 and 20 amp branch circuits.
So for new work all your breakers have to be $50, and I need to install a subpanel for the 6 circuits needed in the basement (Family Room, Game Room, Fridge, Wet Bar, Bathroom, Bedroom). Hooray for $300 worth of breakers. 10x the cost of doing it the old fashion way.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:50 am

I'm going to upgrade all my breakers to combo AFCI/GFCI...

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Ok Rich Uncle Penny Bags :mrgreen:

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm going to upgrade all my breakers to combo AFCI/GFCI...
Aren't AFCI breakers now a code requirement for bedrooms? Our panel has them for all of our bedrooms and bathrooms.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Source of the post "It looks like we can release your escrow once we know if we can release your PMI because you have to escrow if your loan to value ratio is over 80%. There is a fee of .125% of the principal balance to drop your escrow. I attached a document you signed at closing that indicates that fee."
Old post, I know. The CSR I originally spoke with told me the same, but after calling today for something else, I was told that I can drop my escrow account even with PMI; they'll just keep enough to cover the rest of PMI and refund the rest. So I started the process, which consisted of me telling them to do it, and them telling me to sign the document that will be sent to me within two weeks and fax it back.

Would have done this months ago if the last person know WTF they were talking about.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:01 pm

As new homeowners, my wife and I learned the hard way a few years back that you don't plug standalone freezers into GFCI outlets :face:

blackjack68

Home Improvement Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 pm

As new homeowners, my wife and I learned the hard way a few years back that you don't plug standalone freezers into GFCI outlets :face:
Ditto.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Yes, although I have no choice as that's the only outlet near my freezer in the garage. But I did learn one day that the circuit was daisy chained all throughout my basement, and couldn't figure out why my hot water heater wasn't producing any hot water.