Home Improvement Thread

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:49 pm

@mac5155 I hadn't thought about it until you started talking about finishing your basement, but maybe your humidity problem is due to the new concrete floor down there? When was it poured?
Floor was probably poured a year ago. My Facebook memories just showed the framing complete today. I was thinking it may be plaster curing? It cured for 2 weeks and we painted sometime in late February. Primed with Loxon and top coat with Cashmere, both sherwin williams products.
Probably not the floor if it's been that long, even if it has vapor barriers under/around the slab. You have an old fashioned lath/lime plaster job done? If not, and it was a veneer job, I doubt it's the plaster either.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Okay, I assume you deleted your original post and reposted it after I replied. :)
;) I did it to quote you

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

@mac5155 I hadn't thought about it until you started talking about finishing your basement, but maybe your humidity problem is due to the new concrete floor down there? When was it poured?
Floor was probably poured a year ago. My Facebook memories just showed the framing complete today. I was thinking it may be plaster curing? It cured for 2 weeks and we painted sometime in late February. Primed with Loxon and top coat with Cashmere, both sherwin williams products.
Probably not the floor if it's been that long, even if it has vapor barriers under/around the slab. You have an old fashioned lath/lime plaster job done? If not, and it was a veneer job, I doubt it's the plaster either.
board and veneer only.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm

I ain’t hiring no ****’ carpenter to replace my driveway, you fools.
This deserved more recognition, imo

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm

I was leaning that way for sure. Seems that polystyrene foam board is the unanimous decision, if not spray foam. Then do horizontal furring strips, and then vertical on top of that.
I'm in the late stages of finishing my basement. I started by painting Drylok on the blocks. Then foam board insulation. I also added batt insulation between the studs after I framed it.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I was leaning that way for sure. Seems that polystyrene foam board is the unanimous decision, if not spray foam. Then do horizontal furring strips, and then vertical on top of that.
I'm in the late stages of finishing my basement. I started by painting Drylok on the blocks. Then foam board insulation. I also added batt insulation between the studs after I framed it.
Do you have a waterproofing system on the exterior too?

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm not a good plumber, but I'm going to try and replace my shower cartridge tonight. Here's to hoping all goes well
Do yourself a huge favor and get the correct cartridge tool at either Lowe’s or HD. It makes the entire process a piece of cake.
The one I need comes with the tool. I wonder if it is a POS.
If it’s metal, you’re probably going to be okay. I had to pull a severely frozen Moen at my wife’s old condo, and couldn’t imagine doing it with a plastic one. If it’s plastic, just take your time.

Either way, it’s 100x better than simply trying to remove it with pliers, etc.
Bought the wrong cartridge.

Snapped the old one in half.

Shower doesn't have its own shutoff so when the wife gets home I have to tell her to run down stairs and flip the main water every time she wants to use the bathroom.

YAYYYYYYYYYY.

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Do you have a waterproofing system on the exterior too?
No but we’re pretty dry for the most part where we are. Just a sump pump seems to take care of everything

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm

I also dropped the retainer clip in the wall. Right now there is a mechanics oil funnel package-taped to the hole in the wall for when we have to flip on the master switch.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 am

I'm not a good plumber, but I'm going to try and replace my shower cartridge tonight. Here's to hoping all goes well
Do yourself a huge favor and get the correct cartridge tool at either Lowe’s or HD. It makes the entire process a piece of cake.
The one I need comes with the tool. I wonder if it is a POS.
If it’s metal, you’re probably going to be okay. I had to pull a severely frozen Moen at my wife’s old condo, and couldn’t imagine doing it with a plastic one. If it’s plastic, just take your time.

Either way, it’s 100x better than simply trying to remove it with pliers, etc.
Bought the wrong cartridge.

Shower doesn't have its own shutoff so when the wife gets home I have to tell her to run down stairs and flip the main water every time she wants to use the bathroom.

YAYYYYYYYYYY.
Oof, that's no good.

But I still laughed. :lol:

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 am

Source of the post Bought the wrong cartridge.

YAYYYYYYYYYY.
Been there, done that. I was able to jam the old one back in far enough to keep the manifold from gushing, so I could keep the mains on. But when I put the new one in, the seal wasn't 100% tight (o-rings slipped out of their groove, it seemed). A couple hours later, I started to hear a high pitched scream before the geyser erupted.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:09 am

Installed the new cartridge and it puts the water full blast regardless of position so I can't turn the water off, still.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am

Are you certain that you got the correct cartridge? Some of them have a pressure balance valve within them, and it sounds like the one you have does not. Assuming this didn’t happen before the new cartridge, maybe you have a pressure balance valve [that the cartridge is going into] that also needs a maintenance kit.

I’m not sure if it would cause it, but make sure the arrows on the cartridge are also centered too and bottom, too.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Trying to replace the parts in my toilet tank and I can't get the one damn nut off (hehe) the bottom of the tank. Just in a tight spot and it's a little grimy/rusted on. So frustrating. Take 2 tomorrow when I have more energy and patience

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:40 pm

If it’s a plastic nut, see if you can use a hammer and flathead screwdriver to get it loose. I’ve had to do that before in an area where I couldn’t open a wrench enough to get leverage.

Viva la Ben

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:23 pm

I just replaced my garbage disposal, it used the same insinkerator mount......super easy.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Trying to replace the parts in my toilet tank and I can't get the one damn nut off (hehe) the bottom of the tank. Just in a tight spot and it's a little grimy/rusted on. So frustrating. Take 2 tomorrow when I have more energy and patience
The flat head is in the tank and the nut is outside below it, right? Put some pressure on the flathead and it will transfer down to the nut to give you a sliver of relief to get the nut moving.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Installed the new cartridge and it puts the water full blast regardless of position so I can't turn the water off, still.
I used a 1/2" cap at the shower head and then left the state for 2+ weeks. #ThereIFixedIt

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Could coat in PB Blaster also to help.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Noticed a weird smell coming from the furnace vent outside so even though I really didn’t want to, I called the gas company to check it out. Good news is it isn’t gas. Bad news is the furnace is improperly burning which is causing it to vent carbon monoxide. Gotta get the HVAC guys out here now.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:58 am

We've been so busy the last couple of months that I haven't even checked the propane tank. We have an underground 500 gallon tank (which is nice), but when we returned with the recent cold snap, it suddenly struck my mind. It's hovering right around 10%...normally I fill it up around 20%. They are supposed to come out this week, and we *should* be fine, but I've been conserving just in case. It is a monster PITA if you run out, because then they have to do a safety check and whatnot.

Really need to start setting a calendar reminder to do this, lol.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:01 am

I have a 500g underground propane tank, as well. Our service company just comes out at regular intervals, with larger gaps in the summer. We haven't seen them for months, but I expect a visit any day now. I want to say that our tank has never been below 40%ish. I love that we're on propane on a street that has no natural gas service, but man does it cause more maintenance than I'd like to deal with. The extra moisture in the gas is responsible for parts rusting, like the burner tubes in our furnace. I'd rather replace the burner box than buy the tubes and install them because of how much time I save.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 am

500 grams doesn't seem like a lot of gas...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

:)

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 am

500 grams doesn't seem like a lot of gas...