Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:24 pm

Plant grapes instead.
Neighbor down the street did that, and the only downside is that his yard had the worst infestation of spotted lanternflies compared to the rest of us.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:27 pm

yeah, i just checked it out, nah.

Maybe some corrugated metal instead lol. but seriously, pergolas give zero function.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 pm

I've seen pergolas with shade sails that look really nice, and function well. Not sure how much adding one costs, but if you're looking for both form and function, that's an alternative.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:39 pm

If you plant trumpet vine, be prepared for it to go everywhere and never being able to eradicate it.
Correct. I literally started with 3 saplings and this was what happened in 5 years. Flowers are nice for hummingbirds though

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:40 pm

You can also let it grow down the other side and cut out a door, so that's fun

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:41 pm

Ace Ventura eddy: When Nature Calls

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:42 pm

It's also nice because it gets real dark under there so you don't have to wait until it's pitch black for movies/pens games outside

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:48 pm

Be a man and grow some hops

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:51 pm

My good friend owns a brewery 5 minutes from my house, I'm good :fist:

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm

I was talking to mac. You're already pot committed with that trumpet vine. I had one at my old house and while beautiful and attractive to hummingbirds, invasive doesn't begin to tell the story. Looked just like yours, with sprouts starting to show up in the yard.

Then I doubled down and planted a raspberry bush right next to it.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:34 pm

I was talking to mac. You're already pot committed with that trumpet vine. I had one at my old house and while beautiful and attractive to hummingbirds, invasive doesn't begin to tell the story. Looked just like yours, with sprouts starting to show up in the yard.

Then I doubled down and planted a raspberry bush right next to it.
Luckily my neighbor is older and I take care of her lawn because anyone else would have a problem with these things sprouting up everywhere in their yard.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 pm

I have a Trumpet vine the over a wooden arch that the previous owners put it. I can't stand it as I have to trim it back at least twice each summer because it gets so unruly. I'd love to cut it out, but I know it would just come back.

Beveridge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:14 am

The indoor HVAC is in our laundry room and when it's A/C or heat through the heat pump, it's really loud and rather annoying. When the gas furnace kicks on in colder temps, it's loud but not as bad. It's behind a louvered door and then we have another louvered door heading out into the kitchen and rest of the house out of the laundry room (code required). Any suggestions on reducing sound? I've thought about sound proof on the walls inside the little closet the HVAC is in, but I don't know how much that will really do because of the louvered door. I also thought about replacing the door leading into the kitchen with a solid door, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:22 am

Source of the post I also thought about replacing the door leading into the kitchen with a solid door, but I don't know if that's a good idea.
I'm 99% sure that'd be against code, because your furnace needs the air from more than just the enclosed space to function efficiently. I wouldn't change it. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be insulating the ductwork in the room, which would serve two purposes, so it may be worth doing that. Insulating the walls is another thing... and I doubt you want to go this route, but the fire wool that they use between condos and such also serves as soundproofing. If you're opening up the walls, that'd be the way to go. Otherwise, you can drill holes in the top of the stud bays and blow in insulation.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:34 am

stuff cream cheese in the louvers

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Home Improvement Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:19 am

Has anybody even used a house cleanout service? What type of money would I be looking at for such a thing?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:57 pm

I looked into some to get rid of a mattress and box spring since my garbage collector wouldn't accept it. The cost involved a flat fee and then an additional charge for the time spent. I can't remember the price but it was way more than I willing to pay. Luckily, I was getting my roof replaced and the contractor was fine with me adding it the dumpster they were using for the job.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:06 pm

Has anybody even used a house cleanout service? What type of money would I be looking at for such a thing?
We have housekeepers, but I admit it isn’t that “official” of a company. Basically, the woman I started with got bored when her kids got old enough for school and didn’t want a typical job so she started cleaning houses under the table. Well her kids are like 40 now. She “retired” last year and gave the “company” to her daughter. She comes ever two weeks with her two daughters and cleans for two hours for $105 each visit.

iamjs

Home Improvement Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:10 pm

I was looking for a cleanout, like getting rid of other people's crap. Like a house full of unwanted junk.

I'm going to look at a foreclosure today and the bank mentioned that there is a ton of stuff that was left behind.

Pros: I know the previous owner. We weren't exactly close friends, but I'm close friends with her cousin so I am somewhat familiar with the house. There were upgrades done pre-COVID. Acre of land with no neighbors nearby. Bank basically wants to get rid of the house since there haven't been any takers.
Cons: The bank gave me some history about the house. The deadbeat ex-bf lived there after the girl I knew left. His dog supposedly used the house as its personal bathroom. Not sure on what damage is inside since the ex liked to break things when angry.

I could easily make my money back flipping it providing the ex didn't tear the place up prior to the police removing him from the property. The bank did give the option of having them clean it, but I wanted to see if it would be better for me to pay a service vs letting the bank deal with it.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:12 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here, but if anyone is doing any wiring work, Wago brand lever-operated wire connectors are so utterly superior to wire nuts that it's not funny. Flip the levers up, stick in the stripped wires, and flip the levers back down. Mixing solid with stranded wire is no problem, as is mixing wires of different diameters. Both of those can be problematic with regular wire nuts. They come in two-port, three-port, five-port, and inline-splice sizes. I've used these to install a new ceiling fan and a new light fixture, and I will never use regular wire nuts again.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:52 pm

That's cool and all but you're a day late for this ceiling fan I just put back up.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:23 pm

... Sorry.

iamjs

Home Improvement Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:02 am

So we did the walkthrough on the house and everything the bank said was accurate. The house definitely needs a cleaning. There's potential to make good money from flipping. But it still seems weird buying a foreclosure from somebody that you kinda know and seeing a lot of their personal items left behind.

I keep going back and forth on it. I have a number that would allow me to buy and not totally clean me out, but who knows if that number is even close to what they are asking.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:41 am

We had four appliances delivered this morning. Home Depot has to send out a plumber to assist with installing the fridge and dishwasher. For the fridge, the cutoff for our water line to the icemaker seems to be below the floor, and for the dishwasher, the floor covers the feet so they said they need to have someone come out for that. Not sure what that has to do with plumbing, but...

Did get the range and microwave installed, at least.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Make sure whoever installs the water line for the ice maker leaves plenty of slack for pulling the fridge out to clean