Home Improvement Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:53 pm

Any of you yahoos ever seal the driveway with Rustoluem’s sealant product? I’m sealing my driveway the first time. The rust oleum is applied differently than traditional sealant. I’m torn between trying something that might be better/last longer but is new and different vs. the standard squeegee /brush combination.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 pm

I use eagle seal on my concrete. It's a clear penetrating sealant. I suspect you may be talking asphalt.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:35 am

Correct. It is asphalt. Am I a moron for not stating it is asphalt?

Yes

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:33 pm

no not really. seal is kind of synonymous with asphalt and concrete. albeit totally different types of product. my reply was a stream of consciousness more than anything :lol:

CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 pm

Anybody have a preferable paint sprayer that they like? Thinking about a a Wagner 130. Main use is painting the basement as we finish it, but we haven't even touched the off-white walls from our move in so the kids rooms could use some color and things like that as well. Not really a need for staining any wood (we have about a 10 foot section of wood fence and that's all).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:49 pm

A big ole 5K quote for our driveway to be patched and resurfaced... While it sucks, it was necessary. looks like it hasn't gotten any attention in a good decade or so. Luckily, the guy called and said they have a huge job in the area right now. They can come over tomorrow and get started. That's awesome considering the last company I tried to work with hasn't been able to even quote me since I called them in March.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 pm

Anybody have a preferable paint sprayer that they like? Thinking about a a Wagner 130. Main use is painting the basement as we finish it, but we haven't even touched the off-white walls from our move in so the kids rooms could use some color and things like that as well. Not really a need for staining any wood (we have about a 10 foot section of wood fence and that's all).
I have a Graco magnum X5 that is awesome. I got it on sale from the Depot last year for $280. Money well spent

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:55 pm

HT to Stanley tools. I have a broken 3/8" drive ratchet. A 6 minute phone call with them and I'll have a replacement to my door in 7-10 business days.

On the contrary I have the craftsman impact socket set where 2 are cracked. Two different "retailers" said they can't replace (despite thus being the craftsman website policy) since I didn't purchase there. And craftsman hasn't responded to my email inquiry in 3 days.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:08 pm

I have a Graco magnum X5 that is awesome. I got it on sale from the Depot last year for $280. Money well spent
hows overspray? hard to clean?

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 pm

hows overspray? hard to clean?
Overspray isn't too bad but I was painting my basement ceiling and wasn't too concerned with it. You can dial it in with the tip. It's no easier to clean than any other sprayer but I don't think it's too difficult. Just run soapy water through it til it's clean and make sure all the small pieces are well soaked.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:25 am

This could probably go here or the no stupid questions thread, but are all toilet fill valves interchangeable?

I'm going at lunch to get a replacement one for my daughter's bathroom as it's started spraying water everywhere... I didn't measure anything before I left. I'd imagine they're all standard sizes?

Beveridge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:13 am

Most have a height adjustment. If you get like a fluidmaster universal I would think you'll be good.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm

I don't know but I can say if I was in your situation there would be a standard size for 95% of toilets but mine would be in the remaining 5%

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:25 pm

Yeah. My entire house is built with things that are juiuuuuust off standard. Don’t know how or why, but it is.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 pm

Sealed the driveway this morning. Good weather for it. 5 buckets of sealant. It was a good day.

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:31 pm

I use eagle seal on my concrete. It's a clear penetrating sealant. I suspect you may be talking asphalt.
How often do you do this and how do you apply it

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:16 pm

We've lived here only a year and a half. Didn't do it last year. But driveway was about 4 years old and not sealed so it was on its way to disappearing in front on our eyes.

Just basically dumped the sealant on the driveway and pushed it around with a squeegee till it was all gone

RonnieFranchise

Home Improvement Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm

If your contractor says when you talk about his proposal he will have a “crew” to remodel your bathroom, would you figure that would be at least two people?

We have had one person except day one when he had another person helping him tear down. Not surprisingly we start week 4 of a 2 week job on Tuesday.

To be fair he works hard and the work looks good but still….

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:43 pm

This could probably go here or the no stupid questions thread, but are all toilet fill valves interchangeable?

I'm going at lunch to get a replacement one for my daughter's bathroom as it's started spraying water everywhere... I didn't measure anything before I left. I'd imagine they're all standard sizes?
They’re all standard… I will warn you all though, the ones with the float on the stem instead of the bulb thing, make sure the hole isn’t too close to the corner. I had to temporarily put a shim to make sure the stem stays far enough away from the tank wall so the float is free to…. well…. Float.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:26 am

How often do you do this and how do you apply it
Every 2 years or so. Pump sprayer and then I back roll it with a cheap paint roller.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 am

If your contractor says when you talk about his proposal he will have a “crew” to remodel your bathroom, would you figure that would be at least two people?

We have had one person except day one when he had another person helping him tear down. Not surprisingly we start week 4 of a 2 week job on Tuesday.

Perhaps he can't find help. If the jobs getting done right I would be okay with it, albeit annoyed.

RonnieFranchise

Home Improvement Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:38 am

Perhaps he can't find help. If the jobs getting done right I would be okay with it, albeit annoyed.
Yeah, we're not going to make a stink about it, it just would be nice to get on with our summer.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:01 am

Woke up yesterday morning to a text from my dad saying that my house was hot as hell. Long story short, the AC had an issue and shut down power to the t-stat. My BIL went over to look at it, and said that I've got a refrigerant leak (R22... wtf?), and that he'd recommend replacing it if the leak is in the coil, which is most likely is. So, looks like I'll be joining @skullman80 in the fall with replacing the entire system. Gonna just spend the money on an ultra efficient model and be done with it, since I won't actually be paying for any labor, and I'll be getting the unit at contractor pricing.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:38 pm

We left for a week. Turned the system off. Came home, it worked for a day. Next day there is a pool of water in front of the unit with condensation dripping. Unit is throwing codes and cooling at maybe 25% capacity for two days. Turned it off last night and set up window fans. Turned it on today and its working at 100%.

Lame.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:48 pm

Woke up yesterday morning to a text from my dad saying that my house was hot as hell. Long story short, the AC had an issue and shut down power to the t-stat. My BIL went over to look at it, and said that I've got a refrigerant leak (R22... wtf?), and that he'd recommend replacing it if the leak is in the coil, which is most likely is. So, looks like I'll be joining @skullman80 in the fall with replacing the entire system. Gonna just spend the money on an ultra efficient model and be done with it, since I won't actually be paying for any labor, and I'll be getting the unit at contractor pricing.
Welcome to the party pal!