5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Pitt v. North Carolina is on WBTV 3.1 at 12:30pm Saturday @meow

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 pm

lol Freddy is meows TV guide now

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:42 am

Freddy. Thank you.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 am

Former Pitt lineman Alex Officer has been diagnosed with bone cancer. He started having knee pain while working out for NFL teams. Was signed by the Chiefs in early August but was cut near immediately due to failure to disclose a medical condition. Turns out that medical condition was osteosarcoma.
Alex’s sarcoma is in a very rare location and will require two separate rounds of chemo therapy and a surgery in- between.
https://sports.yahoo.com/former-pitt-li ... 06696.html
https://www.gofundme.com/letsgoao

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 am

Best of luck to him. I hope he makes a full recovery.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 am

Former Pitt lineman Alex Officer has been diagnosed with bone cancer. He started having knee pain while working out for NFL teams. Was signed by the Chiefs in early August but was cut near immediately due to failure to disclose a medical condition. Turns out that medical condition was osteosarcoma.
Alex’s sarcoma is in a very rare location and will require two separate rounds of chemo therapy and a surgery in- between.
https://sports.yahoo.com/former-pitt-li ... 06696.html
https://www.gofundme.com/letsgoao
That sucks. Praying for a full recovery.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 am

Cancer sucks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Awful

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am

Pat Narduzzi says on his radio show he plans to get freshman tailback Mychale Salahuddin in for at least three more games, given the new redshirt rule. Just to see what they've got there.
Why the hell wouldn't you start doing that against Albany, the worst team you'll face all season? Dumb ass.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Pat Narduzzi says on his radio show he plans to get freshman tailback Mychale Salahuddin in for at least three more games, given the new redshirt rule. Just to see what they've got there.
Why the hell wouldn't you start doing that against Albany, the worst team you'll face all season? Dumb ass.
That dude is siiiiick. I was watching his scouting vids the other day.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm

That dude is siiiiick. I was watching his scouting vids the other day.
Torn acl upcoming.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm

God dammit shad

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I can't even pay honest to God compliments of Pitt players now? :lol:

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Unless you’re being sarcastic... that is soooo soft of a PSU fan.

Don’t worry folks, I’m here: Ricky Slade and Miles Sanders are blue blood studs who Pitt had no chance in hell at, Salahoodeen (however the hell you say it) isn’t even good enough for a PSU offer.

Boom.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:48 am

Don’t worry folks, I’m here: Ricky Slade and Miles Sanders are blue blood studs who Pitt had no chance in hell at, Salahoodeen (however the hell you say it) isn’t even good enough for a PSU offer.

Boom.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 am

it is hard to have a hot take on a pitt unc game, but I am here to request input on this super panther game

obviously unc stinks but even more obviously pitt finds ways to lose to unc. but this is the year that streak ends imo

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am

Does Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi think that North Carolina stole his team’s signals in last year’s 34-31 victory over the Panthers at Heinz Field?

He didn’t come out and say it this week, but it certainly sounds that way.

On Monday at his weekly press conference, Narduzzi was asked what had led to the Tar Heels’ five-game winning streak over Pitt.

“If I had to tell you why, I’d be real controversial and probably be on ESPN tonight,” Narduzzi said. “I won’t get into the reasons why. We’ll stay off of ESPN. But we have to find a way to win, period. And the past doesn’t really matter.”

Thursday, without being directly asked, he elaborated on that point a good bit.

“We’ve got to do a good job protecting ourselves on the sideline, as far as just making sure our signals are going to our guys and only our guys” he said. “We just talked about it as a staff. We’ve got to do a good job there. We changed up who our signal callers are. We’ll have three different guys that will be live this week. So, you learn some of those things that you go through: who’s stealing, who’s not.”

Hows about you shut the **** up for a change and try to coach better, actually develop players, not get unsportsmanlike penalties, not be so beholden to your defensive scheme, etc.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am

Boom.
Ned.

AJ Davis had offers from Florida State, Michigan State, Georgia, Oklahoma & Ohio State. Salahuddin had offers from Oklahoma, Georgia and Clemson.

You can keep your UPS offers. I'm fine with the two kids that had offers from programs that actually make the College Football Playoff when they have the talent to do it.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 am

Does Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi think that North Carolina stole his team’s signals in last year’s 34-31 victory over the Panthers at Heinz Field?

He didn’t come out and say it this week, but it certainly sounds that way.

On Monday at his weekly press conference, Narduzzi was asked what had led to the Tar Heels’ five-game winning streak over Pitt.

“If I had to tell you why, I’d be real controversial and probably be on ESPN tonight,” Narduzzi said. “I won’t get into the reasons why. We’ll stay off of ESPN. But we have to find a way to win, period. And the past doesn’t really matter.”

Thursday, without being directly asked, he elaborated on that point a good bit.

“We’ve got to do a good job protecting ourselves on the sideline, as far as just making sure our signals are going to our guys and only our guys” he said. “We just talked about it as a staff. We’ve got to do a good job there. We changed up who our signal callers are. We’ll have three different guys that will be live this week. So, you learn some of those things that you go through: who’s stealing, who’s not.”

Hows about you shut the **** up for a change and try to coach better, actually develop players, not get unsportsmanlike penalties, not be so beholden to your defensive scheme, etc.
This is the kind of crap that he does that drives me nuts. Just "no comment" it, for crying out loud. And with something like this, go through the proper channels. Complain to the conference officials, not to f'ing Hillgrove and the local media.

Instead, he just can't help himself. Even though he tries to say nothing by saying something, he still ends up saying something - namely, a thinly-veiled accusation that could wind up just where he said he didn't want it - on ESPN. Luckily for him, there probably isn't enough juice in this matchup to make much more than a blip on ESPN's radar, but this is just a bad look. I hope Lyke tells him to knock this **** off.

I don't mind the bravado stuff, the sniping with Franklin, the comment at the Kickoff Luncheon about seeing everyone in Charlotte. That's fine with me for two reasons: 1) Narduzzi seems to have some genuine pride in the program and the Pitt name, and that's something the football program hasn't had since Wannstedt, and 2) that's the kind of thing that is needed when you're trying to change the culture of a program, which he is trying to do. This is fine, especially as long as he's winning.

I just wish he'd choose his words with some of this stuff a little more carefully.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

Remember when franklin sounded like a little beotch after 42-39 because he complained about pitt's players clapping on defense? this nard dog stuff sounds exactly like it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am

I don't mind the bravado stuff, the sniping with Franklin, the comment at the Kickoff Luncheon about seeing everyone in Charlotte. That's fine with me for two reasons: 1) Narduzzi seems to have some genuine pride in the program and the Pitt name, and that's something the football program hasn't had since Wannstedt, and 2) that's the kind of thing that is needed when you're trying to change the culture of a program, which he is trying to do. This is fine, especially as long as he's winning.

I just wish he'd choose his words with some of this stuff a little more carefully.
The sniping and bravado is not ok with me because his teams consistently show up unprepared and overconfident for games. Actually, what he should have said was "we had a 2 game winning streak going into last year's NC game and we started to get a arrogant after we tasted success, so we showed up flat and entitled as if we were just going to steamroll UNC even though we were 4-5 and they were 1-8 going into that game. so we lost because we thought we could just waltz through it. "

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 pm

The sniping and bravado is not ok with me because his teams consistently show up unprepared and overconfident for games. Actually, what he should have said was "we had a 2 game winning streak going into last year's NC game and we started to get a arrogant after we tasted success, so we showed up flat and entitled as if we were just going to steamroll UNC even though we were 4-5 and they were 1-8 going into that game. so we lost because we thought we could just waltz through it. "
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think a lot of this speaks to a possible lack of focus on just winning the damn game. It sounds like he's already making excuses. UNC was the lesser team last year and Pitt lost due to the reasons you mentioned above. UNC is the lesser team this year. This is a game Pitt should win & honestly BETTER win if Narduzzi wants to avoid the heat getting turned up awfully quickly.

I like the bravado when the results merit it, but results haven't merited it...at least not since 2016. Some humility from Narduzzi is long past due and would go a long way towards curing some of the optics currently surrounding the program. The last thing most college FB fans remember seeing of Pat Narduzzi was him falling apart on national television two weekends ago, at least before they changed the channel once the game got out of hand. The next two times they're going to be on the national radar will be next week when they visit UCF & in three weeks when they go to Notre Dame. They'll be decided underdogs in each game and both of those teams are capable of blowing Pitt's doors off if Pitt comes out flat and unprepared, as they've done from time to time, from the coaches on down.

Like Is said, I don't mind some of the bravado if the results have merited it. That hasn't been the case, though, and I do wish he'd recognize that.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 pm

My overall take is we are well past the re-energize the program stage after Coach Coma's departure from a loveless marriage with Pitt, so the watching a new coach run his mouth is actually fun (and the first two years were certainly positive ones with momentum) sentiment has long worn off. After 5-7 and the UPS game, its time to stop this nonsense and win some games.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 pm

i will say nard dog's antics were much appreciated prior to the start of the pitt ups series. it added another layer of excitement to a highly anticipated series.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Nard Dog toning it down would be admitting defeat in his mind. So, whatever.. he is what he is. I like Nard Dog