5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

willeyeam

5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:48 pm

ulf's Monday afternoon ACCFCG thoughts:

Atmosphere - pretty awesome. So much orange all over the city, but they could not have been friendlier. Having two fanbases there for a championship game is just fun. They did a great job with the game festivities as well. It's the superb owl of the conference and they treated it as such. A legend there from each school for the All Legends Team. The intros, each school's chants and traditions (woo hoo woo hoohoo will be forever engrained into my head). But it was a lot of fun, despite the weather and the actual game.

Game - Welp. After the first play I thought we may lose by 70. Pitt made it interesting and had some momentum cutting it to 14-10. The defense held up pretty well all game, imo. The pick at the end of the half was such a back breaker. I don't mind trying to get some points.. you aren't going to beat Clemson by playing super conservative. But you can not make that throw. Take a sack, throw it away, whatever.. If we don't turn it over inside our 15 twice, the starting D let up 21 points - excluding the garbage time backup TD drive. Held Clemson to under 400 yards. Wasn't shabby.

The offense - WTF. Line - sucks. Pickett - ???. Watson - Sucks. There was a 2nd and 4 towards the end zone I was sitting in, heading away from the Clemson band. Pickett dropped back and was either sacked or threw it away.. Literally not one WR between the hash marks. Ball was spotted in the middle of the field for what it's worth. That means Watson called a play that required KP throw the ball at minimum 20 yards to get outside the hashes to pick 4 yards up. After a night of KP having an average of a half second to unload the ball before being eaten alive. I wish I was tech savvy enough to find the replay and find that play to take a screen shot. That summed up Watson's year of play calling in my mind. So bad

All in all - I enjoyed watching Pitt play in a championship game. I expected Clemson to beat them up, so it wasn't heartbreaking. And up until the pick with 30 seconds left in the first half, we had ourselves a ball game. It sure beat sitting at home and watching other teams play this weekend. H2P

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

I was wondering why Watson wasn't calling more quick slants, outs, etc.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm

to be honest, I'm really excited about the defense next year. They got much better as the year went on, and don't really lose any key pieces. We may set football back a century and win games 10-3, but they're going to be a really solid unit.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm

speaking of denucci, he threw 5 picks in JMU's playoff game on saturday

and 3 pick sixes

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:30 pm

This has been a problem all year. No use of the middle of the field. The TEs are bad, but they completed a grand total of TEN passes to the TEs. What the f man, how

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm

speaking of denucci, he threw 5 picks in JMU's playoff game on saturday

and 3 pick sixes
"I am impressed" -- The NFL version of Nathan Peterman

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 pm

This has been a problem all year. No use of the middle of the field. The TEs are bad, but they completed a grand total of TEN passes to the TEs. What the f man, how

Define "tight end" :?:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:43 pm

matt flanigan and chris clark caught 17 and 16 passes, respectively, last season. I honestly don't remember either of those guys doing a single effing thing yet they still tripled the production of this crew.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:45 pm

@ulf

how cringeworthy was it when they would play the chorus of sweet caroline on repeat?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm

@ulf

how cringeworthy was it when they would play the chorus of sweet caroline on repeat?
the first one was cool, at first. then I kinda got tired of yelling the Go Pitt parts.. and then, they just. kept. playing it. Just so bad when like ten people are yelling it out as we were down 35-10.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm

I will forever associate Sweet Caroline with the BAHHSTIN RED SAWX, and that ruins it for me. Every wedding, sporting event, etc.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:21 pm

One of the fellow Pitt fans I follow on Twitter mentioned that Watch ESPN has a Skycam-only version of the ACCCG, just in case anyone wants to rage-watch and get an idea of just how many pass plays had designed routes over the middle, how much time Pickett had to throw, how many times he didn't look to the middle if it was there, etc.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:22 pm

One of the fellow Pitt fans I follow on Twitter mentioned that Watch ESPN has a Skycam-only version of the ACCCG, just in case anyone wants to rage-watch and get an idea of just how many pass plays had designed routes over the middle, how much time Pickett had to throw, how many times he didn't look to the middle if it was there, etc.
Oh boy. As a Pickett non-believer, how angry will I be on a scale of 1-10?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:24 pm

oh here we go

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm

There was a 2nd and 4 towards the end zone I was sitting in, heading away from the Clemson band. Pickett dropped back and was either sacked or threw it away.. Literally not one WR between the hash marks. Ball was spotted in the middle of the field for what it's worth. That means Watson called a play that required KP throw the ball at minimum 20 yards to get outside the hashes to pick 4 yards up. After a night of KP having an average of a half second to unload the ball before being eaten alive. I wish I was tech savvy enough to find the replay and find that play to take a screen shot. That summed up Watson's year of play calling in my mind. So bad
Correction - 3rd & 4

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:42 pm

ulf's Monday afternoon ACCFCG thoughts:

Atmosphere - pretty awesome. So much orange all over the city, but they could not have been friendlier. Having two fanbases there for a championship game is just fun. They did a great job with the game festivities as well. It's the superb owl of the conference and they treated it as such. A legend there from each school for the All Legends Team. The intros, each school's chants and traditions (woo hoo woo hoohoo will be forever engrained into my head). But it was a lot of fun, despite the weather and the actual game.

Game - Welp. After the first play I thought we may lose by 70. Pitt made it interesting and had some momentum cutting it to 14-10. The defense held up pretty well all game, imo. The pick at the end of the half was such a back breaker. I don't mind trying to get some points.. you aren't going to beat Clemson by playing super conservative. But you can not make that throw. Take a sack, throw it away, whatever.. If we don't turn it over inside our 15 twice, the starting D let up 21 points - excluding the garbage time backup TD drive. Held Clemson to under 400 yards. Wasn't shabby.

The offense - WTF. Line - sucks. Pickett - ???. Watson - Sucks. There was a 2nd and 4 towards the end zone I was sitting in, heading away from the Clemson band. Pickett dropped back and was either sacked or threw it away.. Literally not one WR between the hash marks. Ball was spotted in the middle of the field for what it's worth. That means Watson called a play that required KP throw the ball at minimum 20 yards to get outside the hashes to pick 4 yards up. After a night of KP having an average of a half second to unload the ball before being eaten alive. I wish I was tech savvy enough to find the replay and find that play to take a screen shot. That summed up Watson's year of play calling in my mind. So bad

All in all - I enjoyed watching Pitt play in a championship game. I expected Clemson to beat them up, so it wasn't heartbreaking. And up until the pick with 30 seconds left in the first half, we had ourselves a ball game. It sure beat sitting at home and watching other teams play this weekend. H2P
Pretty much sums it up. Great time. Expected to lose. Weather sucked. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:43 pm

@ulf

That got old. It was fun the first time. But then it was just the chorus. And then they kept doing it.......

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 pm

I feel terrible about it but Dick Groat cannot do these games anymore. Aside from the fact that he is incomprehensible and slurring his words worse than ever before, there are points where he almost sounds in distress trying to speak. They gotta do something.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

I feel terrible about it but Dick Groat cannot do these games anymore. Aside from the fact that he is incomprehensible and slurring his words worse than ever before, there are points where he almost sounds in distress trying to speak. They gotta do something.
I didn't even realize he was the color guy... 88 years old!

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Xavier has to finish that at the buzzer, brutal loss to take at home

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Bill and Dick are a hilarious listen. Neither has any idea what’s going on.

Chukwuka had two rebounds tonight. Need big men ASAP.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Football school

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am

Hope? Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use on the inside.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 am

Also, billy hillgrove called Antonio brown Antonio Bryant last week. Other notable mixups over the years include craig Hayward (cam heyward) and ray lewis (I cant remember if it is ray graham or deon lewis, but the point stands)

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:41 am

Agree. Much respect to the guy, but painful to listen to. I was waiting for him to drop over trying to speak.

And I love Hillgrove as much as the next guy, but listening to him call a game, he can't get anything right.